PDA

View Full Version : Help & Information on the PUMA HC1 Required

stephen.mullins
4th Apr 2002, 09:32
I am serving in the marines and have to produce a 30 minute lecture as part of my promotion course. The subject is given to you by the directing staff and they have pinged me for the PUMA HC1 lecture.

I am looking for ANYBODY who would be willing to answer questions and clear up any points I have with ref the PUMA or be able to provide me with locations where to find further details. Persons from 33 Sqn RAF Benson or 230 Sqn RAF Aldergrove would be especially welcome. Any pilots willing to talk would be great.

I hope somebody can help. We have been advised to complete the lecture by the 15th April.

Here's hoping.

bigley
4th Apr 2002, 09:48
It's French and made of plastic!

alixir
4th Apr 2002, 11:46
Try the following link for basic info:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/airpower/puma.html

although I wouldn't believe the troop numbers or payload.

It also has a link to RAF Benson web page.

Suggest you try calling 33 Sqn direct, you can get the number from the Mil 192 Directory enquiries. Try Ops or crewroom as a first point of contact.

[Edited for spelling]

stephen.mullins
4th Apr 2002, 16:58
Thanks to Alixir for the help.

Unfortunately I have already been down this avenue and drew the blank, seams to be more on the Cougar than the Puma on the net.

Any body from RAF BENSON out Their?

Yozzer
4th Apr 2002, 18:45
Not accepting direct emails is not a good way of asking for help. There is a wealth of information available from here to genuine individuals, but too many wind up characters and enquiries from "service" sources to expect an anonymouse reply.

Why not ask a specific question and see if a reply is forthcoming, oh and if you are a journalist, get stuffed.

I am aware of why there may be an interest in the Puma from a marine at present, but for the same reason, and in particular recent events, everybody here will be cautious in response.

Yozzer
Who knows a little bit about the aeroplane in question.

Hey Bigley, I am around for a little while if you are at home, email for tel number if required.

yellow and black
4th Apr 2002, 20:57
Stephen - The RAF website has plenty of info about the Puma. If you are mil then you will have no problems getting hold of the numbers for either 33 or 230 Sqn and speaking to someone who might be able to help you.

Puma boys watch out - I smell a rat here.

Bigley - The depth of your Puma tech is frightening - you forgot the bit about the wheels going up and down and it still having an airworthiness certificate. (They did have Pumas on 72 didn't they?):p

Always_broken_in_wilts
4th Apr 2002, 21:15
I am sure we fetched Percy from BFG to replace the ailing Wessex on 72 and not a moment toooo soon. Is the fixed U/C machine still going......very slowly?......J boy now so lost touch.

all spelling mmistakes are "df" alcohol induced

nutmeg
4th Apr 2002, 22:45
Y and B,

After the SEF visit I understand that my Puma tech is better than yours!!!!!!

stephen.mullins
5th Apr 2002, 09:34
Gents thank you for the many replies.

I will start by putting some of your minds at rest. I am not a journalist. I serve at RM Poole and joined the marines in 97, I am currently on a promotion course at CTCRM JCC 1/02.

We must give a 30 minute lecture on a subject given to us by the directing staff that is marked and contributes to our final grade.. RAF Benson seem very busy at the moment, or on leave? Their corporate communications officer is out of office until mid April.

We have all been sent on Easter leave at the minute, and told to have this prepared before we return on the 15th April. If I was at my parent unit obtaining info would not be a problem, however being at Lympstone things work a little different as it is it's own little world, as you will all testify about training establishments.

So what can I say, I need help and I'm genuine. The course DS have seen these types of lectures several times, I'm looking to get a bit more info to give them something different.

ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP CAN EMAIL ME AT [email protected] UNFORTUNATELY I THOUGHT I HAD ALLOWED EMAIL TO BE SENT TO ME WHEN I SUBSCRIBED. in answer to YOZZERS point.

IN answer to YELLOW AND BLACK, fear not there's no rat's here. Just a lad on his JCC needing a little help.

Thanks to JOHN SMITH, unfortunately no HHI available, but the Yeovil thing was something I thought about but shelved, will give it a go. Cheers for wishing us look, going to need it.

Thanks again

Steve M

FJJP
7th Apr 2002, 07:18
Can I suggest that someone who is still in the Forces (Yozzer or Y & B?) call Poole on the GPTN and ask to speak to Mr Mullins? Good way to authenticate.

;)

yellow and black
9th Apr 2002, 21:58
nutmeg... or should I say XO! Forget the tech, what we need is BOXES and lots of them, good old wooden ones - how about we use some old ORANGE crates.

I have stolen all that is worth stealing and you're not having it back.

you know where I live....roight

Y&B