PDA

View Full Version : Flying in New England

RedsBluesGreens
24th Jul 2012, 16:03
To all you New Englanders out there (or anyone else familiar with the area),

I am on a family holiday for a few weeks in August, travelling round Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. During that time I fancy doing a bit of flying here and there.

I have a JAA PPL (even though I know that is irrelevant with the FAA) and I am willing to spend as much per hour in the US as I am in the UK. So I fancy flying some interesting types (maybe floats or twins?) in some interesting places (Mount Washington, Nantucket, High Peaks, etc.) Obviously with an instructor.

If any of you have any places you can suggest, I would really be grateful!

Many thanks,

RBG

PS I posted this in Private Flying, but apparently to no avail.

The Range
24th Jul 2012, 20:03
You'd better go to Airline Pilot Forums and ask there

ATPMBA
25th Jul 2012, 17:43
Several ideas for you:

Fly into HYA , Hyannis, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Go next door to Mildred’s Chowder House and get a bowl of the best clam chowder made. President Kennedy use to have it flown to the White House.

If you fly north (follow other the land if in a single) go to Provincetown which is at the tip of Cape Cod. Go into town as it is a thriving summer artist colony. Visit the art galleries and especially the Portuguese bakery. You can also go on a whale watch boat cruise. Provincetown is like Key West Florida and San Francisco which has many gay people.

If you don’t mind flying over water I would recommend you fly south over 25 miles of open ocean and go to Nantucket. I would take a cab and go downtown Main Street. Nantucket downtown was an old quaint whaling village where time has stood still. The Main St is still cobblestone with many shops restaurants and pubs. Lot’s of college age female students ( a line from TOP GUN, Goose – this is a target rich environment!) spend their summers on the island. It would be great if you could stay overnight in town. The Jared Coffin House has a nice pub in its basement.

From Hyannis you could go to Martha’s Vineyard. If you like beaches you can land at Katama airport and walk to the beach. From the main airport you can take a cab or hitch-hike into town. Not sure what the towns offer.

Block Island is another option. You will need a ride from the airport to the town. As you face where the ferry docks to your right is a large restaurant pub café and beach all in one. You can’t miss it.

Don’t go out to the islands at night and beware of fog. I would stay away from Mt Washington as too many down drafts have taken too many lives.

If you go to Maine several ideas are to land at Freeport Maine and visit the LL Bean store. At Knox County Regional airport there (Owls Head I believe) there is some type of air museum and then there is Bar Harbor Maine. Lot’s of Lobsters to eat up there.

If it was my trip I would do the Nantucket trip. Take plenty of pictures.

RedsBluesGreens
26th Jul 2012, 18:37
Thanks, these are all great suggestions. If any of you know of any good schools where I can rent an aircraft with an instructor that would be great, particularly schools with interesting aircraft. I have already found a seaplane school in Maine which looks pretty interesting.

soakingpilot
29th Jul 2012, 09:39
Check out KPYM. There you can get an instructor and airplane from Alpha One who have great pricing and is a great aviators flight school. At the same time you can get some pancakes at the cafe on the airfield.