PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the Irishman?!!

wedger
13th Jul 2001, 19:40
Hey guys,
I'm currently living in Dublin and working as a school teacher. I go out to Weston as often as I can afford to for flying lessons (don't we all!!). I really want to make a go of this flying lark and obviously have been doing some research into getting the fATPL. Just wondering if there are any other Irish wanabees out there? Where are you doing/where do you intend doing your training? Advice from non-Irish always welcome too.
Thanks.

Sprawler
13th Jul 2001, 20:44
Currently training out in Weston myself with the lads from Aerial. Almost have my PPL finished but as I can only fly at weekends its taking me ages to try and finish because of the weather.
My advice would be to maybe do enough time until you are close to going solo. Also, start studying for your exams. Then head to America or South Africa to a JAA aproved school and finish it off there. The weather here is just too crap.
:rolleyes:

dubfly
13th Jul 2001, 21:20
I'm also out at Weston doing my Nav at the moment but also can only fly at the weekends and can definately sympathise with those who are the victims of the weather. My plan is to get my PPL and then hopefully go to the States for some hour building :)

Eno
13th Jul 2001, 23:53
I'm also in Dublin, I've around half the PPL course done and am getting ready to decide on which course and where to do the integrated frozen ATPL , hoping to start in Febuary next year. I work in Lexlip just next to Weston, but am too busy working & saving to fly right now.

kanga
14th Jul 2001, 05:24
a lot of weston flyers!
to add some variation i'm a jaa ppl flying out of westair (soon to be closed leaving us all stranded)
irish wx is the greatest challenge you will ever face, expect to have 50% of your lessons cancelled because of it!

dubfly, i'd strongly recommend against hour building in the states, especially if you want to go on for further training. flying in florida is great but all you get from it is X no of hours in your logbook and a hell of a lot of bad habits, you can't possibly discipline yourself as well as you would if you had an instructor beside you.
but if you're going for recreation, then enjoy it! america is the most welcoming place for GA.

mutt
14th Jul 2001, 05:49
Kanga,

Long time no chat.....

So BC has decided to close Westair? Any idea why?

For the guys flying with KOC, whats happening to Weston, will it be there next summer? Will he be approved for CPL training?

Mutt :)

kanga
14th Jul 2001, 06:11
rumour has it that the whole thing has been sold, but nobody knows for sure. however the school will definitely close by october, they don't have jar cpl approval and they won't keep it open just for ppls and me!

Eno
14th Jul 2001, 16:56
I'd like to second what kanga said. From my own experiences of US flying, although fun it needs careful consideration. In particular if you want to make a career out of flying, you must take your time and research in detail the outfit you would like to attend.

Just a thought.
Eno

Tim01
14th Jul 2001, 23:13
Kanga,

Westair will be closed alot sooner than october.The aircraft are up for sale in 2 weeks.

kanga
15th Jul 2001, 02:57
ohfkuck. two weeks? i heard the cfi phoning everyone to "get their flying done before october..." he didn't put it quite so politely! :)

TwoDeadDogs
15th Jul 2001, 04:44
Hi,Mutt,et al,
Did you,perhaps,attend the very recent and quite exclusive "seminar" hosted by KoC in Weston lately? Such luminaries as Tony Harkin of the Irishmen Against Aviation and one Philip Maguire of Aer Lingus were present offering an ear to wannabes.
Any gen?
regards
TDD

crispy banana
16th Jul 2001, 20:18
According to a friend a part of 'seminar' was EI telling them that the cadet scheme was on hold until 2002-03 and that they would instead be taking on more direct entry pilots..(min requirements CPL/IR/ME...)
On the Westair side of things is it just the flying school (prefab!! :D ..) thats been sold or the whole operation?...Started my flying there about 10 yrs ago,any ideas where E.Wall is flying these days?...Thx.

Captain-Ireland
16th Jul 2001, 21:29
I am working towards my PPL up north at Ulster Flying Club in Newtownards. Great place very friendly and good instructors. Hoping to go on for IMC, and Night by the end of this year. Then ATPL exams once i finish my degree. Good luck to you all.

Happy Flying

dubfly
27th Jul 2001, 18:34
Kanga, thanks for your advice. To be honest I haven't done much research on what I will do after my PPL but i do appreciate any advice people are willing to give
Cheers :)

seatrumpeter
27th Jul 2001, 21:16
Here's my story for those interested...

Born and grew up in Limerick. Always wistfully looked skyward but was too lame to do anything about it. At 22 I emigrated to the US (Seattle) and took a job in sales. After a few months, I was ready to top myself from boredom and dislike of the job so I started to look at what I wanted to do.
Well, the answer was obvious, right?

I started flying in February of '97. Earned my FAA PPL in June and added my instrument rating in September. I passed my commercial multi and single in mid '98 and then added my CFI soon after. I've worked as a part time CFI since then. I have a well paying full time job so I've been very fortunate to not have any debts and paid for my flying as I go. As a result of having a full time job, I've built time more slowly than others, but at least I'm above the poverty line.

Right now, I'm about 1,000TT and got my first job offer from a cargo airline last week. I turned it down though - as I don't want to work on the East Coast.

In January 2000, I turned my attention to converting my licences to the IAA/JAA format. I spent a lot of time and effort learning about regs in Ireland, and decided it would be in my best interest to participate in the transition arrangements currently concluding in Ireland. Consequently, I studied my ass off for two months and managed to pass 12 of the ATPL written exams in the April 2000 sitting. During that time, I also did the neccessary flight training at Weston to ensure I could participate in the transition scheme.

In April of 2001, I sat the remaining three ATPL writtens and passed those. I also applied for and obtained my medical (not without some problems though). Where it sits now, is that I simply have to take the skill test in order to complete my frozen ATPL.

By the way, contrary to all the opinions I've seen, I've found the IAA to be nothing other than super helpful. Maybe I'm a fluke?

So what's next. Well, once the ATPL is completed, I'm going to start applying to Aer Lingus, Ryanair and anyone/everyone else who might have me. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue applying in the US and whoever offers me a job that I want first, is where I'll go.

I think learning to fly in the US is a goode way to go. Those that diss US training either have never been here or made a bad choice of flight school or failed a rating and have a sour taste. The US is very GA friendly and consequently the skies are busy! Yes, the written exams are easy - isn't that what you want when you have to take them? Most importantly, it's probably your most economic option. My advise is to make sure you understand the Irish regulations with respect to Flight Crew Licensing backwards and forwards and then figure out how much of the required training can be completed in the US and then go for it!

If you want any more details, my email is available in my profile. If you are going to be in Seattle - look me up and we'll go flying.

rg_vr6
29th Sep 2002, 15:35
Hi guys,
Im from dublin as well. Would anyone have the e-mail and website address for weston?? I lost it! What are the charges there at the mo??

Many thanks

Dakota Queen
29th Sep 2002, 19:36
Hi Irish lads

Going to my PPL in south africa next year, any ideas on if I could hour build in Australia, NZ and USA? Ideally I'd like to hour build to 150, preferably to combine this with work, banner towing, chute jumps etc

Any ideas? contacts?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: