PDA

View Full Version : Help Please?

thewannabe
23rd Jul 2012, 22:36
Hello everyone, I am looking for some professional advice from experienced pilots where I won't get biased opinions from school instructors. Any advice, good or bad, is GREATLY appreciated.
I am 23 years old, and have approximately 60 hours in R22's with a student license. I'm am trying to decide whether to continue flight school or not (my last flight was two years ago, due to lack of funds and a couple other issues). As most of you know, it's a lot of money to go through school to get a license. If I were to not succeed in becoming a commercial pilot for whatever reason, I would be in big financial trouble.
Here is what I need your opinion on.
I have had this "cracking" in my hands for about four years now. They crack constantly but so far have NEVER become a hindrance to anything I do. They have also not become better/worse over time. I have been to every kind of doctor immaginable and no one can figure out what the problem is. I am: #1-Worried that they will find out what the problem is in the future and I will have to take some medication that would prohibit me from flying. #2- The cracking increases and I become unable to fly. So far though, it has just been an annoying thing I have learned to deal with.
I also have some pretty big issues with multi-tasking. So far in my 60 hours flying, I havn't had any problems. However, that is just as a student pilot. How significant of a role does multi-tasking take in flying professionally?
The only other issues that I feel threaten me becoming a pilot is my mild alergies and radio shyness (to the tower, etc). Neither of which I am too worried about. My allergies aren't significant enough for me to even take any meds for, and I would assume radio shyness would pass in time.
Even though I would absolutely love to be a professional pilot, I can't afford to go partly or all the way through school and have one of these things stop me from finishing. Like I said, I would be financially done for. So in your professional opinions, do you think I should continue, or are the negatives to big to risk it?
Thanks for ANY advice!

slowjet
26th Jul 2012, 09:23
Oh mate, mate. Sounds like you have further problems to add to your long list; serious self doubt,lack of confidence, immaturity and with today's lack of training paid for by airlines, you seem to be aware of serious financial difficulty in succeeding.Bin this career goal or bin the attitude. Go & have your cracking hands looked at ( might affect other career goals), have your allergies checked ( USA is awash with ghurus who will fling themselves at you in order to cure), get some counselling for "awareness & maturity building". Simple rule (as this is the medical forum) for any aspiring professional pilot is to have a Pre med. Tell them you want to apply for a professional pilot licence but before expending vast amounts of money, need to ensure that you are medically fit.Think of it, if you pass, you will have a confidence boost & you can formulate strategy in a positive frame of mind.

zero1
26th Jul 2012, 11:26
First of all you need to gain a class 1 medical and tell them about your hands. If you successful then you will know you are fit to fly, if not then you can make a decision to stop the professional flying route.

During your training there will be times when you will question yourself and perhaps fail, this is the same for all of us. Having a "can do" attitude is needed and you can get help with this from professionals, but you must have the seed of this first to see it through.

Multi tasking is perhaps the big issue but training will help you learn how to do this when flying, the issue might be when you come to instrument flying as the mental demands are very high indeed. Nevertheless training and more training will overcome this unless you not capable of taking this on and have reached your limit.

My best advice is to have a pre assessment done, which are done for military aircrew as part of the selection process better to check this out first. In fact consider the military route first and get the government to pay for the training, this is not for everyone but is perhaps the best economic path in today’s hard times. Good luck :)

gingernut
26th Jul 2012, 19:00
If you've done 60 hours in one of those infernal machines, you've done quite well.

The crepitus in your hands sound benign. The lack of hindrance statement is the most important thing in the eyes of the authorities. Try and learn to ignore it.

Multi tasking? Probably will come with experience and learning the drills. Or being born female. At 60 hrs, my FI used to say "you'll never get it." Was quite surprised when I recently visited the airfield, with Mrs G, and he told her, "Gingernut.....he was the best student I ever had." :)

The minor allergies thing ? I'd look back really hard, and try and differentiate between a true allergy, and an "intolerance." In the eyes of the medical world there is a big difference. Allergy conjure's up idea's of shock, breathlessness, collapse and even death. Intolerance is associated more with "it gave me a bad tummy."

Radio Shyness? Go on a course, (Did mine with Malcolm D. at Barton), and spend every waking (and sleeping) hour listening to a scanner- you'll soon learn how the big boy's don't always get it right. :-)

Never lie to your AME, but don't set yourself up for a fall :p