PDA

View Full Version : Missed Approach Fix

whitakerjl
23rd Jul 2012, 17:35
Good afternoon from Oklahoma City,

I am curious about the procedure used to enter fly a missed approach hold at an intersection. For instance, the missed approach for ILS or LOC RWY 22L at KBOS requires a climb to to 3000FT outbound on the BOS VOR/DME R-219 to the WINNI intersection (BOS R-219 15.6 DME).

The hold at WINNI requires an inbound course of 039 degrees with left turns. Using only raw data, e.g., VOR/DME, how would you choose to enter this hold?

Initially I thought this would be a parallel entry. However, after reaching BOS R-219 15.6 DME and subsequently making the left turn direct WINNI, is it possible to navigate to WINNI using only raw data?

So, what is the best way to enter this hold and subsequently fly the hold using only raw data?

I look forward to reading your responses.

rich_g85
31st Jul 2012, 12:02
GC737, with respect I think you've either mis-read or mis-understood whitakerjl's question. I too am a UK pilot, although the basic principles are the same. I'm referring to this chart, valid to 23 Aug 12: http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1208/00058IL22L.PDF Missed approach off KBOS 22L, climb straight ahead to 3000' to 15.6 on the BOS DME. At 15.6D, I'd do a procedure turn (turn left 45 degrees for one minute, then turn right 180 degrees), intercept the BOS 219 radial (039 TO the beacon) back in to 15.6D, then begin a timed turn to the right and then hold as normal.

wiggy
31st Jul 2012, 12:47
The only nit pick I'd have with that is that the MAP narrative says climb to 3000 feet on the BOS R-219 (my emphasis), not climb straight ahead.

IMHO having established the go around manouver, and as soon as it's safe to do so, you should make a left turn onto a suitable heading to intercept the 219 radial outbound. You shouldn't need a big "cut" to intercept the 219 because the VOR is situated just on the eastern side of the field.

Fly outbound down the radial ( during which time you can happily :confused: be assessing the drift) until you hit the fix DME, at which point turn to join the hold, probably using the teardrop entry as described by rich g.

In real life, (and ignoring preferential runways)... one "gottcha" might be that given the runway in use the 3000' wind may well push you back towards the WINNI fix during your procedure turn , so make sure you adjust your outbound timing accordingly. If at all possible you really want to be established, even if only very briefly, on the 219 radial before you hit the 15.6 DME :bored: