PDA

View Full Version : Flying in South Africa

VinaV
23rd Jul 2012, 08:35
Does anyone know what you have to do to convert a UK issued EASA license to fly in South Africa?

The CAA there are not very helpful! :ugh:

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jul 2012, 10:19
You expected maybe chopped liver from a crowd of govt jobsworths?

Most flying schools there have a handle on things to arrange a validation or a SA licence. Best contact one of them. Blue Chip at Wonderboom or one of the schools at Lanseria, Grand Central or Rand should be able to help. There are a couple of SA aviation forums you can also try. Google is your friend.

seimseiv
23rd Jul 2012, 11:23
I agree with SRT - contacting a flight school will be your best bet. Just to get you started, however, according to my knowledge you will need to write a Meteorology and an Air Law and Procedures exam for your licence level, and probably need to pass a practical flight test as well.

Still better to just confirm with a flight school. Good luck.

Mobotu
23rd Jul 2012, 11:43
This is almost iddiot proof so here goes....

CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.za/)
Licensing & Examinations
Licensing Information
Validation of a foreign Licence:
PERSONNEL LICENSING
AIC 30.7

Follow the instructions EXACTLY as they are written and no problem.

Trossie
23rd Jul 2012, 19:43
Make sure that every 'I' is dotted and 'T' is crossed!! (And make sure that you've looked for those hidden 'I's and 'T's!) A flying school within easy reach of Pretoria would be a good idea so that you can easily physically take documents to the CAA to get things sorted (the term 'snail mail' must be short for 'South African ailling mail'!! Nothing like the Royal Mail that you are used to!)

There is some good flying there. Central areas can be a bit boring, but the mountains and most of the coast (Durban to Cape Town) are interesting. Study up your weather/geography very carefully though! You don't want to become another of their high weather/geography statistics. (And watch the roads: you don't want to become another of those statistics too...)

The Ancient Geek
23rd Jul 2012, 20:59
Well said Trossie.

SA has excellent VFR weather but the clouds have teeth.
Most GA fatalities are caused by continued flight into IMC, just dont do it, turn around and get on the ground ASAP. The highveld in summer can be particularly nasty because all of the rain comes from CBs, usually in the afternoon. Nasty buggers, stay out of their way at all costs. If they dont spit you out at 30,000 feet or slam you into the ground they can tear the wings off of light aircraft and spit out the pieces.

Getthereitis is the biggest killer, followed closely by cumulogranitus.

Great flying to be had, but take care and fly safe.