PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Air "Elite Training Academy"

the_rookie
23rd Jul 2012, 06:30
Hey guys/gals.

Long time reader first time poster. Just looking to find out a bit more information on the above company. Haven't heard about them before and was keen to hear from any previous students, especially about the guarenteed job after finishing the cadetship.
Seeing as there is a flying job after completion of training, i'm wondering why it hasn't been brought up on PPRUNE before. Or have I missed it?

Cheers, the rookie

BlatantLiar
23rd Jul 2012, 07:46
Even if you get to fly their twins every other fellow pilot and potential employer will laugh at you.

Stationair8
23rd Jul 2012, 08:31
Most of the guys and girls that fly the night freighter seem to move onto bigger and better things. Rex, Virgin, QLink, RFDS etc seem to be okay employing them.

Very character building flying a Pa-31/350 single-pilot loaded with freight across Bass Strait at night time, no one to hold your hand, make decisions that ultimately may save your neck, crappy weather, thunderstorms, ice, turbulence, old airframes, back of the clock operations etc.

porch monkey
23rd Jul 2012, 08:53
You could take notice of what blatant liar posted, his avatar is probably a good guide to the information contained in the post, or you could ask about the matters that station air mentions. Your choice I guess. I haven't found too many employers who have laughed at anyone who has done some time there. In fact, quite the opposite. Always look out for that axe, Eugene.

the_rookie
23rd Jul 2012, 22:54
Even if you get to fly their twins every other fellow pilot and potential employer will laugh at you
Thats all I ever seem to read on this website. Why should it matter how you build your hours or aquire your licenses?? If Vortex give you a job like they say the will, then to me thats a huge foot in the door. Or am I just thinking like a rookie...

Porch monkey, you know pilots who have flown for Vortex?

TOUCH-AND-GO
25th Jul 2012, 03:18
If Vortex give you a job like they say the will

There is no guarantees in this industry! :=

Jack Ranga
25th Jul 2012, 05:05
Vortex will NOT let you loose on the Cheiftain til you are ready. If you doing night freight with them you have earned it.

porch monkey
25th Jul 2012, 06:26
Yes I do. I am one as well. Hence why I said to do your research. It may well be a good opportunity, but only YOU can decide, through thorough research of the alternatives and your own circumstances.

outnabout
25th Jul 2012, 06:27
Have to agree with Jack Ranga on this - you won't be let loose over the Strait in a PA-31 until you can prove you're ahead of the game, all the time.

The experience is as Station8 says - you will learn a whole lot more about MECIR, and you will learn the reasons why the rules are the rules.

But I hear (and this is only hearsay) the $$ ain't fabulous.

the_rookie
25th Jul 2012, 06:46
Well the only information available without going to vortex (will do in the upcoming weeks) is their website, which only has the basics. Hence why I posted on here. To see if anyone had any information at all.

BlatantLiar
25th Jul 2012, 06:54
Why should it matter how you build your hours or aquire your licenses??

After spending an exuberant amount of cash for a MECIR you're paying another exuberant amount of cash to log an exuberant amount of ICUS hours in a PA31 with the hope of finally getting let loose for a year before they need to make way for the next cash cow. Race to the bottom etc.

If you go through with it, thanks in advance.

Checkboard
25th Jul 2012, 08:16
you're paying another exuberant amount of cash to log an exuberant amount of ICUS hours in a PA31
If you're paying for ICUS, then there is another pilot being paid to be in command of the thing - so you're not taking a job from anyone. :ok: If you are flying ICUS (even if you are paying for it) you are obtaining good, solid, valuable experience - there is nothing wrong in that transaction. :ok: Indeed, GA is actually helped (as in made safer) by having more experienced pilots.

That situation is completely different if you are paying to take a flying position which is required by the regulations to be filled by a licensed pilot (and should thus be a paid position) - such as an FO seat in a two crew aircraft, or the only pilot on a single crew aircraft. :=

ex·u·ber·ant /igˈzo͞obərənt/
Adjective:

Filled with or characterized by a lively energy and excitement.
Growing luxuriantly or profusely: "exuberant foliage".

ex·or·bi·tant /igˈzôrbitənt/
Adjective:

(of a price or amount charged) Unreasonably high.