PDA

View Full Version : Computer Switching Itself Off

Tosh McCaber
22nd Jul 2012, 18:57
Last night, I went out, left computer running- got home three hours later, to find that it had switched itself off. Switched back on, and it remained on overnight, (as usual- I leave my computer on most of the time). Everything fine for morning and early afternoon, other than Firefox switching itself off a couple of times by itself (just upgraded to v14.0.1). Same with Outlook- it switched itself off whist I was in the middle of composing an email. Went out for a couple of hours at 3.00 pm- computer switched itself off again. After a few abortive attempts, (with momentary blue sceen verbage, after which an auto shut-down again), I am now back up and running. Prior to last shut-down, I ran MalwareBytes, computer was clean.

But I don’t know why this is suddenly happening, after over a year with no problems, since I last carried out a re-install. I know that that would fix the problem, but I want to wait for Win 8 in a few months time, before I do the next reinstall.

Anyone got any thoughts? Any advice welcomed.

Saab Dastard
22nd Jul 2012, 19:06
Check Event viewer, run diagnostics on hard disk for a start.

SD

vulcanised
22nd Jul 2012, 19:36
Also check for dust & fluff inside and around psu fan.

Blues&twos
22nd Jul 2012, 19:40
Possible mains power cut? Happens quite frequently to us out here in the sticks.

750XL
22nd Jul 2012, 19:44
Download 'Speedfan' and see if you're computer is running at too high a temperature

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Jul 2012, 19:48
overheating
or failing motherboard

what make /model of machine?
which motherboard?