PDA

View Full Version : CL44 Association

Varipitch
22nd Jul 2012, 18:17
The Association continues to go from strength to strength and its founder and USA President, were recently invited to attend the Flying Tiger Pilots Association re - union in Monterey. They then held their own re-union in London, this being attended by some 70 former 44 crew members and engineers.
The founder of the Association is an ex Rhodesian Air Force and Air Trans Africa Airlines Loadmaster who then went on to the 44 fleet of Aunited African Airlines in Libya and following some years with airlines flying Hercs and the BAe146, ended with a spell on the one and only 44 left-the unique and wonderful Guppy.
The Guppy is in one piece (albiet minus one of its Tyne engines and is at Bournemouth.
The Association's Chairman has now embarked on a book, to be titled "Cargo Tramps", so should you wish to get in touch, with a view to joining the 44 Assn or to contributing to the book-do please get in touch.

HZ123
24th Jul 2012, 05:53
As a Police Officer I recall the CL44 at STN in 1971/2 always fascinating a/c. I recall a Swiss registered model, River Plate Airlines that used to bring animals in and most of all, a semi-derelict a/c that sat on its belly full of rubble.

To my amazement one day a guy built a frame and the a/c was emptied of rubble and spent some 3-5 months in the hangar being rebuilt.

It was then back in the air, cannot recall the reg. The Guppy was a regular visitor always impressive