PDA

View Full Version : Qantas cutting all international flights out of Perth

ypph1
22nd Jul 2012, 14:08
I read a rumor from another web forum that Qantas were thinking of cutting all international flights out of Perth. Seen as a lot of you guys are in the industry, is their any truth to this rumor?

Keg
22nd Jul 2012, 14:28
All international flights out of Perth? You actually mean Singapore because I think that's the only route we fly ex PER these days. Or do we still have a CGK flight a couple of days a week?

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Wedcue
22nd Jul 2012, 14:37
Doubt it.

(adding characters :8 :ok: )

DrPepz
22nd Jul 2012, 15:08
I can see them cutting HKGPER (I mean CX does it double daily and QF thrice weekly?) which is the only other route besides SINPER (SQ four daily from Nov compared to QF's two daily)

However one of QF's flights arrives into PER at 0440 which is ridiculous. It connects from no where. One thing I could see them doing is reducing SINPER to one daily. Like a 1.30pm departure from Perth, arrival at 6.45pm. Transit time to LON/FRA will be about 3-4 hours. But it's still shorter than the 6 hours you've to endure on a BA-QF transfer in BKK.

Then departure from SIN at 2000 arrival in Perth at 0100.

SQ will practically be double daily ADL through the Australian summer... And EK's starting ADL then..... oh and SQ's also going double daily A380 to MEL from late August.....

framer
22nd Jul 2012, 20:14
Reading Dr P's post made me picture Qantas as a man being strangled by Emerates, punched in the nose by SQ, Given a wedge by CX while the Australian unions take turns kicking him in the balls. My vision became downright sad when I realized the man was mentally retarded and thought he could solve his problems by enrolling in Thai Chi classes.

dizzylizzy
22nd Jul 2012, 20:59
and the sky is falling. PER HK may go and one of the SIN's may go, doubt it will disappear all together.

TheWholeEnchilada
22nd Jul 2012, 21:06
Reading Dr P's post made me picture Qantas as a man being strangled by Emerates, punched in the nose by SQ, Given a wedge by CX while the Australian unions take turns kicking him in the balls.

Geoff & Alan's self-fulfilling prophecy propaganda campaign would like to thank you for your kind assistance. "it was them that done us in, see, we told you so" is what will eventually be printed.

adsyj
22nd Jul 2012, 21:08
Wouldn't surprise, it seems our management deal with competition by just walking away.

framer
22nd Jul 2012, 21:21
TWE I did mention that he was mentally retarded which was a reference to management.
It is possible you know that QF's woes are down to a combination of things. Not just nasty unions or nasty execs.

TheWholeEnchilada
22nd Jul 2012, 21:41
Framer, I wasn't having a go at you, rather highlighting the campaign, has been going on for so long that everyone falls into the "default" position.

You are correct, about the retard - I believe the technical term is FITH's disease, an affliction of the executive function of the brain in your man analogy.

600ft-lb
22nd Jul 2012, 22:14
Would tie in with the need to better utilise the a330s to compete domestically with virgin. The 0440 arrival into PER that connects with nothing, terrible loads would tie in with justification that the aircraft would be better utilised elsewhere.

Just speculation, but seems like typical corporate engineering these days.:ugh:

C441
23rd Jul 2012, 00:11
You lot are so ungrateful!
The 2330 SIN-PER is there to unload the massive backlog of staff pax trying to get home from Singapore created by our insightful management who have ensured all of the SIN-AUST flights are commercially full by not allowing any other options to travel from Europe to Australia on Qantas.:rolleyes:
....Pure genius and so thoughtful of our leaders to offer an empty A330 to staff.:cool:

Howard Hughes
23rd Jul 2012, 00:30
Yet another master-stroke of genius!;)

aveng
23rd Jul 2012, 01:44
They probably will still be QF a330's flying to Singapore - its just that they are currently painted orange and silver.:ok:

BuzzBox
23rd Jul 2012, 01:58
QF are all but irrelevant out of PER anyway. SQ offers four flights a day ex PER, EK is soon to fly three times daily, CX 10 times a week (rumuored to be planning double daily) and QR daily. They all offer far better connections and much larger networks than QF. QF hasn't got a hope in hell of competing.

ALAEA Fed Sec
23rd Jul 2012, 02:14
I read a rumor from another web forum that Qantas were thinking of cutting all international flights out of Perth. Seen as a lot of you guys are in the industry, is their any truth to this rumor?

Qantas want to cut all International routes from anywhere. It will help open up exciting new opportunities for Jetstar and drive the share price down further.

Toruk Macto
23rd Jul 2012, 02:22
Why not use the word "Group" when changes are made , using the word Qantas seems to cause pain ! Should not matter who does what as long as the group becomes stronger and more profitable .

TheWholeEnchilada
23rd Jul 2012, 02:56
Funny, I must have missed the "group opportunity" FSO. The "Group" getting stronger doesn't benefit all equally, if fact it is probably a zero sum game - for every winner there is an equal an opposite loser.

One example - Command slot opportunities for mainline pilots with Jetstar for DRW only for 3 years. As soon as these slots close, Jetstar offers command slots on the East Coast, unavailable to mainline pilots. As I said, zero sum game. If it weren't a zero sum game, I'd agree with you.

The group structure actually impedes profitability with enormous administrative overheads and inefficiency - pilots sitting around doing nothing for YEARS, yet a shortage in other area's - madness. Don't get sucked in by the propaganda, it is done for "other" reasons.

ALAEA Fed Sec
23rd Jul 2012, 03:12
But it is not "the group" that will have flights from Perth cut. It is just Qantas. It is a flawed business model that is dragging the "group" down. They need to invest in and grow their core business. The allegedly profitable sectors like frequent flyer and Jetstar are nothing without big brother.

crystalballwannabe
23rd Jul 2012, 03:25
The QF groups core business, like any airline is still flying ECONOMY class passengers from A-B.

Business and First class will always be icing on the cake not the bread and butter - This is especially so for QF Mainline and a lot of people on here seem to forget that.

There are some great opportunities to increase an international footprint ex Brisbane at the moment.

diddly squat
23rd Jul 2012, 09:17
Just Put Jetstar on the Singapore routes, not like SQ and Scoot will even come close to "Oh Mejesty Le` JetStar" :eek:

PPRuNeUser0198
23rd Jul 2012, 10:29
Have you flown Scoot? Compared to Jetstar, JQ are a premium carrier.

Both Scoot's YC and JC products are an embarrassment...

On Track
23rd Jul 2012, 12:44
How stupid or desperate would you have to be to fly on any LCC?

SOPS
23rd Jul 2012, 12:54
Why go to SIN for any Europe destination anyway? Emirates out of Perth will (shortley) take you 3 times a day from Perth, to many EU destinations.

I am old enough to remember the daily BA service PER-SIN and beyond service, and the QF services to everywhere.

I am lucky enough to have done a QF B747 flight from PER to DPS in First, on a 747

Them days are gone, but I am sure , one day we will all miss what Qantas once was.

Metro man
23rd Jul 2012, 13:07
QF are all but irrelevant out of PER anyway. SQ offers four flights a day ex PER, EK is soon to fly three times daily, CX 10 times a week (rumuored to be planning double daily) and QR daily. They all offer far better connections and much larger networks than QF. QF hasn't got a hope in hell of competing.

That just about says it all, where can QF take you to from PER with only one stop enroute ? SQ, QR and CX are SKYTRAX 5* airlines (EK is 4*), and all offer extensive networks with seamless transfers. Singapore and Hong Kong have award winning airports, new Middle Eastern mega airports are in the pipeline.

Maybe QF will be reduced to a code share partner out of PER ?:hmm:

DJ737
23rd Jul 2012, 13:31
How stupid or desperate would you have to be to fly on any LCC?

Maybe this question has to directed at the many people that use LCC airlines, they want to get to places that :

a: QANTAS doesn't serve
or
b: QANTAS don't charge an arm and leg for the fare.

eg : Scoot SYD-SIN 16/10/12 one way $239 / QF SYD-SIN 16/10/12 one way $785
That's a $546 meal on the plane, is it worth it?

V-Jet
23rd Jul 2012, 17:06
That's a $546 meal on the plane, is it worth it?

DJ - Given your callsign I would not expect you to have any idea about the power of brand and quality product so I will have to spell it out for you. You simply cannot put a price on the value of a genuine Neil Perry meal onboard a Qantas (or partner airline) aircraft. And before you laugh it is NOT simply about Bok Choy, it is Neil Perry Bok Choy. You guys are just so anti Qantas it is almost a waste of breath trying to explain it to you. You will never understand.

PS: Haven't you finished with Borghetti yet? Its tragic watching the destruction he is wreaking on your once proud airline...

ButFli
24th Jul 2012, 08:30
Not sure if serious?

V-Jet
24th Jul 2012, 09:00
To say that, I would suggest you are either a Bok Choy farmer or high up in QF management! In which case, sir, I would humbly ask that you promote me effective immediately and put me on the cover of Pravda (QF News) receiving a Chairmans Award And Bar from Alan Joyce himself on a ceremonial rostrum on the tarmac outside the offices of Jetstar Hong Kong...

Alternatively, you may have unwittingly proved that Qantas distributes such atrocious nonsense so often that it is hard to differentiate complete trash from fact:)

SOPS
24th Jul 2012, 09:39
I assumed he was being sarcastic...I mean he could not be serious, could he?

Hogger60
24th Jul 2012, 11:20
Have you flown Scoot? Compared to Jetstar, JQ are a premium carrier.

Both Scoot's YC and JC products are an embarrassment...I take it you have flown both Y and J on Scoot. Definitely LCC, but they are hardly an embarrassment.

While I agree about the J class on Scoot is less than you would find on JetStar or Air Asia X (more like premium economy on QF), I will take the Scoot Y Class seating arrangement (seat pitch of 31-33 inches) over the cattle car herding you get in Economy at JetStar. From their Website:

"Economy Seat Pitch
28 inches on A320 aircraft, 29 inches on A321 aircraft and 31 inches on A330 aircraft"

Been on both and if you are over 5ft 10in JetStar is just plain painful.

JetRacer
24th Jul 2012, 11:34
Oh look, another airline increasing International services to Perth...:ok:

Singapore Airlines - News Releases (http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/press_release_news/ne120724.jsp)

But of course Qantas can't... :( :rolleyes::ugh:

Keg
24th Jul 2012, 11:37
I take it you have flown both Y and J on Scoot. Definitely LCC, but they are hardly an embarrassment.

My brother, his family, and my mother all have. I don't think they used the word 'embarrassing'. Slow, poor service, definitely NOT business class- what business class gives you only one cup of tea and then makes you buy anything beyond that and doesn't bring you another water when you ask for one. Food wasn't up to standard of Qantas economy.

Economy was what you'd expect in a LCC. Tiny, uncomfortable seats, food about what you expect- cardboard essentially.

So no, not an embarrassment. Just not decent.

SOPS
24th Jul 2012, 13:15
So what is the latest count for premimum international airlines out of Perth daily? Emirates 3, Qatar 1, Singapore Airlines 4, Cathay 3 (or is it 4?), Garuda 3 (I think it might be 4), ANZ 1, SAA 1, there are probably some I have missed.

QF international departures from Perth total ?????:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Edites to say it appears CX is twice daily and I know Qatar is only daily from December, but I hope you get my point.

topend3
25th Jul 2012, 03:39
Thai, Malaysian.

Cathay arent 3 daily, maybe 1 daily and a extra service here and there.

Also Qatas is 3 x weekly, maybe daily from December