PDA

View Full Version : British pilot in prison in Central African Republic

Tableview
22nd Jul 2012, 08:42
I found this and am surprised that it has apparently not yet found its way onto Pprune. Very sad.

Inside the African jail hell of British pilot charged with murder - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/centralafricanrepublic/9417249/Inside-the-African-jail-hell-of-British-pilot-charged-with-murder.html)

It has ........ someone beat me to it by a few minutes :
http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/491149-support-british-bush-pilot-david-simpson.html

Cacophonix
22nd Jul 2012, 08:50
Getting caught up in the sometimes brutal bureaucracies of third world countries (and some supposedly first world ones, vide. Italy) is no picnic.

I trust that he is released soon and that he is back boring holes in African skies.

tsgas
22nd Jul 2012, 21:04
The threat of getting maleria or food poisoning runs very high in this Bangui prison. Hopefully he will be released soon and be reunited with his loved ones.
Godspeed to you young man.

Piltdown Man
22nd Jul 2012, 21:25
Hopefully he will be released soon and be reunited with his loved ones.

You are living in La-La land. This place is a toilet. In countries like this you have no rights. This guy is stuffed. Not unless you can grab one of the ruling bastard's family and send bits of him to his relations back home in an envelope will you have a chance. So I'd start the hunting the scum in Bond/Sloane/Regent Street, the places where these vermin shop.

But that doesn't mean to say I'm not sympathetic - just realistic.

tsgas
22nd Jul 2012, 22:06
Well ,unlike yourself , I never give up hope . To be so negative and live in despair is not really living a worthwhile life..

500N
23rd Jul 2012, 05:44
I have added a couple of posts on the other original thread in
Biz Jets, Ag Flying, GA etc that provides a bit more information
from Hunting forums and web sites including a link to a blog
of the company, the staff of which were arrested and jailed
with David.

captplaystation
23rd Jul 2012, 10:49
Cacophonix, I would imagine the only hole he will be planning on boring in African skies will be courtesy of a Northbound Boeing/Airbus the day he is released. . . . . if not, well, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

LLuCCiFeR
23rd Jul 2012, 13:07
Well ,unlike yourself , I never give up hope . To be so negative and live in despair is not really living a worthwhile life..
Sure, let's be positive and have trust in the local judicial system and the kleptocrats running the place... :rolleyes:

maxred
23rd Jul 2012, 13:26
I hope it ends well for this guy, and he gets his release soon. However, it sometimes appears that the Brits, and for that matter, other Western nation citizens, move around the globe with a view that their idea of reality/democracy/decency/how to do things, is the way and manner in which everyone around the globe behaves:sad:

The reality is that vast tracks of our planet, if not totally lawless, certainly are pretty dangerous places to be, whether it be working, or a tourist. I would have thought that Central Africa, and North of that, would raise the game of any Westerner, and that the daily motto of 'let your watchword be take care', would kick in extra hard.

5aday
23rd Jul 2012, 13:31
Pitdown is correct. There is no, repeat, no sense or logic or even justice in such places. Life has virtually no value and to imprison someone like this (ie not in their tribe) is just another badge they wear with some sort of misguided pride. I've delivered aeroplanes to people working down there and the first thing they fit in the flight deck is a small hand gun cabinet.
I stopped doing it in the end and did something else more satisfying (and rewarding).

500N
23rd Jul 2012, 13:36
It's not just one person who has been jailed. It's 13 people.

Might be worth reading this link (which I put in the other thread)
which is the company the staff who are jailed work for (including David).

Central African Wildlife Adventures (http://cawasafari.wordpress.com/)

tsgas
23rd Jul 2012, 21:50
500N thank you for some factual and intellegent information. It' refreshing compared to the trailer park crowd's trash talk.

500N
24th Jul 2012, 00:59
No problems, it's only because I hunt that I knew about it
since it happened and as I said on the other thread, it's been
discussed at length for a few months.

If I see any other news / developments posted on the hunting
forums I'll cut and paste them to here.

Heathrow Harry
24th Jul 2012, 07:35
regretfully this is what can happen when you go and work in such places - it's part of the job risk

I just hope the authorities here are doing something rather than the usual Foreign Office "mustn't upset the natives" routine

booze
28th Jul 2012, 14:33
I used to fly the Central Arican Rep.

Please let me know (PM me) if i can help with at least some contacts there: International Red Cross, United Nations, other aviation companies, etc.

poorjohn
28th Jul 2012, 17:19
Alas, one can't buy insurance retroactively but I wonder if an outfit like GlobalRescue is a handy thing to sign up with. I think they get something upwards of USD2k/year for 'travelers insurance' that includes being plucked out of tight spots by a gang of ex-US Navy Seals they have on hand.

Re the topic, is the British Government involved/interested? I guess if the gang running the prison were unofficial terrorists instead of government terrorists there'd be some chance of a bit of a midnight arse-kicking.

NordicMan
28th Jul 2012, 23:30
Maybe he should become a muslim... Then the British goverment would do anything...

Sunfish
29th Jul 2012, 22:03
The only thing that will get this guy out of jail is money in cash. It might be as simple as his employer taking out a "security" contract with the local police. Get Controlrisk to handle it if they aren't already.

Most probable cause of the issue (apart from the money angle) is that the police either can't or won't identify the real culprits and this arrest is the easy and profitable option.

Don't EVER interact with police outside a First world country, you will just be seen as a meal ticket. Furthermore, you should carry an open airline ticket and your passport with you and in the event of even a traffic accident, consider leaving immediately, even if you aren't the driver. Don't take anything into the country that you are not prepared to just walk away from.

Some of you will have heard of what happened to a couple of American geologists years ago in Aceh. The locals murdered one of them, the other escaped, wounded, and went to the local police station for help - they shot him and buried him to try and cover up the whole incident.

500N
29th Jul 2012, 22:50
Sunfish

The article explains the back ground to the whole thing
and who has already been kicked out (the minister).

Most hunters and Professional Hunting organizations in these areas
know that things can get dicey at times - and turn from being a stable
to an unstable situation very quickly. CAR has always been viewed
as more un stable than others and really has only become more "mainstream"
(for hunting) over recent times.

I asked around over the last week if anyone had any updates, no one has come back yet with anything.

The Ancient Geek
30th Jul 2012, 01:49
Nowt wrong with bush piloting, many pilots spend their entire careers there and enjoy every moment.

You just have to know that there are some places to be avoided.
You need to be young, stupid, and VERY desperate for hours to even consider CAR or DRC.

Africa is like any other part of the world, there are the great places and there are the :mad:

Xshongololo
30th Jul 2012, 15:53
When they have finished with him…..best he goes for an HIV test.

rcsa
4th Aug 2012, 20:19
Excellent news - David Simpson has been freed from prison (during a riot in which all the prisoners in the jail escaped and the prison was destroyed - an Africa special, this one).

Very good telling of the story here:

Briton behind bars in Central Africa freed during riot - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/centralafricanrepublic/9451535/Briton-behind-bars-in-Central-Africa-freed-during-riot.html)

Piltdown Man
4th Aug 2012, 21:10
Excellent news - David Simpson has been freed from prison...

That's what I call a result. But I there's probably some idiot who'll reckon that he really ought to hand to hand himself in to the authorities. After all he was legally detained. Wasn't he?

I hope he is at home with his loved ones.

wozzo
4th Aug 2012, 21:34
That's what I call a result. But I there's probably some idiot who'll reckon that he really ought to hand to hand himself in to the authorities. After all he was legally detained. Wasn't he?
If you'll read the article, you will notice that he was released by a judge during/after the riots, is in a kind of "house arrest", but expects full and legal release shortly. Curious story.

BALLSOUT
5th Aug 2012, 09:10
Surely the moral of this story is- DON'T go to work in one of these god forsaken places in the first place!

rcsa
5th Aug 2012, 15:18
My grandmother was a KC - a Kenya Colonial. She lived and died in the days before Political Correctness. But from when I was knee-high to a grasshopper I recall she used to tell me this:

"If you want the best life in the world, be a white man in Africa. But never forget, one day you'll walk home in your underpants - if you're lucky."

As true now as it was then. Some of us love the reward and are prepared to run the risk. Some fear the risk and will never taste the reward.

Tableview
6th Aug 2012, 08:02
That is so true. I remember telling my very intelligent but uneducated Xhosa 'maid' in Cape Town that I was going to live in Europe for a while. She asked if I would take her with and I said I couldn't. She asked me who was going to clean my house etc, and I said I would have to. She said : "That is not how a white man should live!"

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 10:23
"If you want the best life in the world, be a white man in Africa..."

For sure be all that and wallow in the pseudo-colonial self-righteousness of the 'Happy Valley' set, however be clear that there will always be another Mugabe to positively re-dress the balance.

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 10:30
@Tableview

Said the, intelligent but uneducated Xhosa 'maid'

To the unintelligent but 'educated' non-Xhosa footman?

Tableview
6th Aug 2012, 10:33
sAx_R54

Please clarify your meaning - if any. Thank you.

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 10:56
Read your original post, the meaning could not be clearer!

KAG
6th Aug 2012, 11:11
Tableview:That is so true. I remember telling my very intelligent but uneducated Xhosa 'maid' in Cape Town that I was going to live in Europe for a while. She asked if I would take her with and I said I couldn't. She asked me who was going to clean my house etc, and I said I would have to. She said : "That is not how a white man should live!"
Very intelligent because she knows how to please and talk to an arrogant white man?

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 11:25
@KAG

Very intelligent because she knows how to please and talk to an arrogant white man?

Although I chose the antonym, my sentiments entirely!

Tableview
6th Aug 2012, 11:35
From whence do you deduce the 'arrogant' white man part?

At last KAG has the courage to say what he means.

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 11:41
At last KAG has the courage to say what he means.

I thought the problem was one of clinical proportion, so courage (lack of) was not within my consideration!

My question was simple (evidently too simple), was it YOU that the intelligent but uneducated Xhosa maid was speaking to? If so, then clearly you are the antonym!

Simple enough??

Tableview
6th Aug 2012, 11:51
I take you are trying to imply that because I referred to her as uneducated (which she was, albeit through no fault of her own) you are labelling me as 'arrogant'. If so, that says more about your lack of understanding than it does about me.

I take it you don't know too much about South Africa and the background.

hval
6th Aug 2012, 11:58
Tableview,

I suspect that the fact you dared to have a maid upsets KAGs' sensibilities. It probably doesn't matter what you wrote, he would have found fault somehow.

I have had employed maids, gardeners, cooks, etc. in many countries I have lived/ worked in - including Europe. Does that make me a really nasty person, or does it mean that I am being helpful by employing people?

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 12:01
I only endorsed the sentiment of 'arrogance' from another poster, and would not have chosen such a lofty description for you myself. If you actually read my post (that is if you can actually read), you will see that I chose unintelligent but 'educated' non-Xhosa footman!

Clinically 'thick' in other words!

Tableview
6th Aug 2012, 12:29
sAx_R54 : If you can only respond by personal insults then you are best ignored.

A4
6th Aug 2012, 12:32
Jesus! Calm down! Tableview was not being derogatory. He was merely stating a fact - she was uneducated - not a criticism, just a victim of circumstance. He also observed she was highly intelligent.

I'm "uneducated" - left school at 16 - but I've done pretty well :) I'm not saying I'm highly intelligent but I'm not stupid either!

Your comment (sAx_R54) "... if you can actually read...." rather demeans YOU.

Don't be so sensitive and go looking for malice when none is meant.

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 12:33
Certainly agree with you on that point. Best to ignore!

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 12:37
@A4

Your comment (sAx_R54) "... if you can actually read...." rather demeans YOU.

"...actually read...." does not demean me. 'Offensive' demeans us ALL!

A4
6th Aug 2012, 12:48
sAx - I think you have taken offence when none was intended or meant. It is a simple misunderstanding. However, sarcastically questioning whether someone "can actually read" is not offensive? Are you not belittling that person if they cannot read - perhaps because they are not educated? Sounds a bit arrogant to me.

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 12:51
@A4

I must have missed something! An intelligent uneducated Xhosa maid is a factual accurate account that 'clearly' you have some ability to corroborate, but 'if can you actually read' is offensive!

Perhaps my ability to split hairs is not a match for your own.

A4
6th Aug 2012, 13:16
If you actually read my post (that is if you can actually read), you will see that I .....

You don't see the irony in the above quote from your post? Anyway, I'm not quite sure why I got involved in this. I just think, perhaps incorrectly, that there are far too many people in this world who actively seek out offence / perceived non-PC "crimes" and then can't wait to go off on one much to the bemusement of most on lookers.

sAx_R54
6th Aug 2012, 14:07
@A4

Agreed!

However for avoidance of doubt the context that you mis-understood was this:

I take you are trying to imply that because I referred to her as uneducated (which she was, albeit through no fault of her own) you are labelling me as 'arrogant'.

As had only agreed with the sentiment of the poster who raised the term arrogant, it was legitimate for me to question the ability of the poster to read, who pointed such towards me!

hval
6th Aug 2012, 15:48
sAx_R54,

And you don't consider your initial comment (posted below) to be rude?

@Tableview Said the, Quote:but uneducated Xhosa 'maid' To the unintelligent but 'educated' non-Xhosa footman?

500N
6th Aug 2012, 16:27
"I referred to her as uneducated (which she was, albeit through no fault of her own)"

Uneducated in your eyes and your world and that is because she has come into our world.

If you or I went to live in the bush with Masai or some other hunter gatherers or the trackers who help on these Safari's to track game that you and I can't, then you and I become the uneducated.

Education is relative to your environment.

Basil
6th Aug 2012, 16:33
A4, see your 16 and raise to 15 ;)
You're right about some comment here, although I quite enjoy observing the PC left foaming at the mouth as they attempt to put 'incriminating' words into other people's. :ok:

Max Angle
6th Aug 2012, 16:40
I read a report that quoted Mr Simpson as saying he wants to stay and carry on working once this is all over but "don't tell my Mother". Don't suppose he is reading this but my advice to you old chap is get the hell out as soon as you can in case someone changes their mind. If it were me I would be putting distance between me and West Africa at .84 as soon as I was able.

FERetd
6th Aug 2012, 17:33
500N Quote:- "If you or I went to live in the bush with Masai or some other hunter gatherers or the trackers who help on these Safari's to track game that you and I can't, then you and I become the uneducated.
Education is relative to your environment"

I would suggest that the hunter/gatherers and trackers to which you refer possess a skill which they employ in their respective fields. They may, of course be educated to a greater or lesser degree and be content with their lot.

But one thing is certain, without an education, one's choices are severely limited regardless of one's ambitions. And the better the education the better the options in life. It is possible to be a well educated tracker, if that is one's want. But it is not possible to be an uneducated doctor, lawyer, pilot architect etc. etc.

It is a sad fact that in the developing world populations are increasing faster than they can be educated and even if they could all be educated, where would they find employment?

500N
6th Aug 2012, 18:48
FERetd

That is a very white educated way of looking at being educated.

The "skill" as you say has been taught to them so in
their field they are educated.

"and even if they could all be educated, where would they find employment?"

How about creating industries that create work / jobs / employment
just like some have already done ie Fresh flowers grown in Africa and
flown to Europe each day or week - an industry that creates jobs / work for pilots !

FERetd
6th Aug 2012, 19:44
500N Quote " That is a very white educated way of looking at being educated."

Thank you .

I am not a hunter gatherer nor a tracker but am reasonably well educated. I would suggest that I have also earned a lot more money than have your hunter/gatherers and trackers. I have also been able to provide for my family and educate my children. I would not have been able to do this had I not been "educated".

I find your comments to be racist.

No where have I mentioned black/brown/ yellow or any other skin colour.

My remarks about education apply equally to anyone of any colour and anywhere.

As for your statement "How about creating industries that create work / jobs / employment
just like some have already done ie Fresh flowers grown in Africa and
flown to Europe each day or week - an industry that creates jobs / work for pilots !" - I have am amazed at your naievity and ignorance.

Wake up, your coffee is cold!

Doodlebug
6th Aug 2012, 20:42
SaxR54, Tableview was being complimentary by describing his employee as intelligent, albeit uneducated. You confirmed as much with your attempt at deriding him by labelling him the opposite! You are fabricating offence, and then immediately follow up with insults, cloaked in anonymity. What for? Why the aggression, particularly such completely unreasonable aggression? Not trying to go to war with you, just trying to point out that Tableview was certainly not out of line in any manner and that you are portraying yourself in an extremely unflattering manner. Perhaps you misunderstood him?

sAx_R54
7th Aug 2012, 08:56
@Doodlebug.

Thanks for your arbitration of what was meant and what was not meant! I am now much wiser on the relevance to this thread of the grandmother suggesting that Africa is the best place for the white-man to live and that 'compliment' for the very intelligent, but uneducated (through no fault of her own) Xhosa 'maid'.

Was this part of the bail package to free the pilot?

PS The only anonymity is those of you who hide behind pseudonyms so that you can proselytize racist views on this forum. If indeed you are so brave, why not submit them to the Cape Times with your name and address attached? Now that would be a test of intelligence wouldn't it?

Basil
7th Aug 2012, 09:37
those of you who hide behind pseudonyms so that you can proselytize racist views on this forum
Well, who are you? Are you a professional pilot?
Ah, yes, I know: the self appointed superhero defending big black guys against filthy white bigots. Last I noticed, they're perfectly capable of defending themselves.
Anyway, you automatically lose the argument when you accuse someone of racism - bye-bye.

SloppyJoe
7th Aug 2012, 09:43
The only racist undertones seem to be from you sAx_R54.

Basil
7th Aug 2012, 09:48
SloppyJoe, I see you're from HK.
He sounds like your very own Air Profit :uhoh:

mostlylurking
7th Aug 2012, 11:34
:= Please stop fighting with sAx R54 - He can't help it.
A quick look at his posting history shows that he considers himself (rather patronisingly) as a defender of the 'weak'.
I think the clinical name for this is 'white man's guilt': sort of whiplash from the 'white man's burden' of his ancestors.
A few other characteristics are:
His favourite word is Arrogance - he uses it in virtually every thread.
He likes to comment on subjects of which he knows nothing.
He has p'd many others off.

Never argue with a fool -Mark Twain:sad:

Tableview
7th Aug 2012, 13:04
Never argue with a fool -Mark Twain

... which is precisely why I, as the author of the 'racist and arrogant' remark that brought these defenders of the weak crawling out of the woodwork, have stayed out of the ensuing discussion. It's pointless.

sAx_R54
7th Aug 2012, 14:08
@Basil

Ah, yes, I know: the self appointed superhero defending big black guys against filthy white bigots. Last I noticed, they're perfectly capable of defending themselves.

How ironic! Last time I checked I was very much 100% Black!

sAx_R54
7th Aug 2012, 15:02
I think the clinical name for this is 'white man's guilt': sort of whiplash from the 'white man's burden' of his ancestors.

The Burden MostlyLurking, is all yours. Fortunately have never had to suffer the 'white man's burden'.

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2012, 15:43
'The White Man's Burden' was the title of a poem by Rudyard Kipling in the context of the US take over of the Philippines after the Spanish American War in 1899.
The burden related to an obligation to rule over and encourage the development of people from other ethnic and cultural backgrounds until they could take their place in the world, economically and socially. It didn't really have anything to do with color so much as it did with subsidization. The closest parallel today might possibly be the European Union or indeed in any other situation where one element of the population is supported by the endeavors of another. One that is usually numerically smaller but more economically productive.

The Ancient Geek
7th Aug 2012, 15:55
Just ignore him, he just has a big chip on his shoulder and thinks that the white man is to blame for everything and owes him a living. The problem is in his head. Pulling the race card is a sure sign of a black racist.
Equality does not mean free handouts, it means that he should make the same effort as everyone else, learn some skills and get a job.

Tableview
7th Aug 2012, 16:04
If he's a South African black man, the poor fellow will consider himself to be 'previously disadvantaged' (it's newSAspeak for 'you are racist'), an excuse which has borne little or no validity since 1994, but one that they will continue using until the end of time rather than face the reality of the world.

Basil
7th Aug 2012, 16:33
OK, sAx_R54; nice one BUT, I have the solution to the problem.
Stop associating with Lefty Liberal Whites (and little Shami) :)

sAx_R54
7th Aug 2012, 16:43
@Tableview

Funny how touchy you guys get, when you are faced with the mirror of what you actually are! Don't worry, there is no AWB flag underneath my pillowcase that causes me to have sleepless nights, for the type of society you long for return.

I'm sure you 'very intelligent, but uneducated (through no fault of her own) 'maid', would at least agree with that.

sAx_R54
7th Aug 2012, 16:46
Stop associating with Lefty Liberal Whites (and little Shami)

Equally good try Basil, BUT I would rather have preferred MK!

lilflyboy262...2
7th Aug 2012, 20:14
So, there is a guy in prison who shouldn't be there...

The Ancient Geek
7th Aug 2012, 21:13
He got out of jail a few days ago.

lilflyboy262...2
7th Aug 2012, 23:05
My bad. I couldnt be bothered going back and reading through the pages of white vs black b*******.

Glad to see he's out.

amou7
10th Aug 2012, 15:54
Hey guys, just came back from the CAR and knew about this situation. The fact is that the guy was a Guide in a hunting safari aka a "'pilot". that's probably why it never made it to pprune. He was imprisoned with his boss, a CAR-born Swede for (after discovering and reporting to the govt) killing 13 youth in their camp area!

MamaPut
10th Aug 2012, 18:06
The fact is that the guy was a Guide in a hunting safari aka a "'pilot". that's probably why it never made it to pprune

From the CAWA website:

Erik has since then been held in custody in Bangui, together with our pilot David Simpson and ten local employees, while the authorities have made an investigation of the case.

The owner of the Central African Wildlife Adventures is Erik Mararv whose father is a well-connected Swede who used to own the biggest well drilling operation in CAR. David Simpson is a young Yorkshire man who was hooked on flying after his parents bought him a flying lesson for his 18th birthday, became hooked and paid for his pilot's licence. After that all he wanted to do was travel and he applied to, and was employed by Erik Mararv. After a year of working for Mararv he was made General Manager of the hunting operation in Bakouma.

There has been some hate mail on a few websites, because CAWA isn't in to photographic safaris, but takes groups of rich hunters to shoot game on a 2.5 million acre concession, of which David Simpson says "Many of them are here for the experience, it's not just about killing things. Some of them are, they want the trophy on the wall. Though I don't understand that myself, but, we might spend a week tracking an animal. We only shoot old males. We have strict quotas. And if we weren't there, the poachers would be. All our trackers are old elephant poachers. We've 25 of them who'd shoot up to 10 elephants a year. That's 250 elephants that are not being shot. If we weren't there, the animals would disappear, like they already have in the north."

tsgas
16th Aug 2012, 03:04
I'm glad to see that positive thinking and living with hope has paid off for this lad.
To all the nay sayers "let this be a lesson" not to live in despair because you just make life miserable for yourself as well as the people that are around you.

doubleu-anker
26th Aug 2012, 10:37
It appears the pilot in question has been freed from jail. Good show.

BBC News - Africa massacre suspect David Simpson freed from jail (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-19384917)

cavortingcheetah
8th Sep 2012, 18:24
Better than that perhaps for him for I do believe he's in England as of this morning.
Pilot David Simpson returns to freedom in Britain from Central African Republic jail - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/centralafricanrepublic/9530423/Pilot-David-Simpson-returns-to-freedom-in-Britain-from-Central-African-Republic-jail.html)