PDA

View Full Version : Dimming the cabin lights when flying in the hours of dark?

EZY7117LPL
18th Jul 2012, 18:24
Does anybody know why airlines are required to dim the cabin lights for take off and landing during the hours of dark?

spannersatcx
18th Jul 2012, 18:28
so you can see should you have to evacuate.

Loerie
18th Jul 2012, 18:29
An excellent question and one that no cc answer when asked.On top of that whats with raising and lowering the window shades----also no answer when asked.I would think that there is a very simply answer......but it escapes me as it does not seem to be logical...

Loerie
18th Jul 2012, 18:31
I agree for night-time,but shades up/down in daytime?

KBPsen
18th Jul 2012, 18:31
Forum FAQ. It is not difficult.

Loerie
18th Jul 2012, 18:36
No,not difficult at all....just darn irritating when you are exhausted & trying to rest with your head against the window and they wake you....

sevenstrokeroll
18th Jul 2012, 19:18
cabin lights are dimmed at night to allow those who want to sleep an easier time of it...you have your own reading light above you to use at your discretion

the window shades are usually pulled down after landing and as you park during the day in hot weather to aid in keeping the plane's interior cool.

it takes almost 45 minutes to obtain ''night vision'' after lights go out, so it really doesn't matter for takeoff asyou are well under the 45 minutes.

Loerie
18th Jul 2012, 19:28
Thanks very much,just caught my attention as I often fly SAA and when they land somewhere in West Africa and that`s always at night,they put on all the cabin lights and tell everyone to lift their window shades,so I guess one would be pretty blind if something happened to cause all the lights to go out...?
Thanks anyway,interesting.

TightSlot
18th Jul 2012, 19:39
The Forum FAQ cover this subject in some detail, as mentioned above.
it takes almost 45 minutes to obtain ''night vision'' after lights go out, so it really doesn't matter for takeoff asyou are well under the 45 minutes.

So because "perfect" night vision will not have been attained, it renders the entire process pointless?

:ugh:

Loerie
18th Jul 2012, 20:40
Completely pointless----especially when landing at 0300 when its pitch-black outside!
Thanks anyhow.Much obliged.

Load Toad
18th Jul 2012, 23:24
Might not be so pointless if one day you are trying to get out of a crashed 'plane - or the emergency services on the outside are trying to see in to find out where to cut through & drag your whining body out of...

Bealzebub
19th Jul 2012, 02:01
It may be "pointless" to you, but for the cabin crew and the more aware passengers who will need to see outside, there is a very real point. Do you want the explanation why they remind you how to fasten and unfasten your seatbelt as well?

TightSlot
19th Jul 2012, 07:40
I wouldn't sweat it too much: A quick glance through the profile and previous posts of this contributor reveals that He/She is unqualified to make any kind of authoritative statement about commercial aviation.

We can all move safely on... Nothing to see here folks.

radeng
19th Jul 2012, 08:24
I note that BA Don't tell people to raise window shades for take off and
landing though.

Always seems to me to be a completely sensible thing to do.

Victor Inox
19th Jul 2012, 10:27
I note that BA Don't tell people to raise window shades for take off and
landing though.

A mystery to me, too. After all, how are emergency services going to be able to see where surviving pax may be?

radeng
19th Jul 2012, 11:11
Besides which, a fire axe coming through the window beside your head may not be the best approach.

Loerie
19th Jul 2012, 11:31
Very true...

Shack37
19th Jul 2012, 14:20
Of course, as captain of a charter yacht, or any other vessel come to that, Loerie will have all bridge lighting on 24 hours a day. There's always radar to show you what you're about to hit!:rolleyes:

Loerie
20th Jul 2012, 01:57
What a load of nonsense to a perfectly ordinary discussion and an attempt to answer a simple question from a passenger.What is it with the folks that are always on the defensive?The comment from the so-called "Moderator" on my comments over some time and the access to my "history"---which is benign and merely as an interested observer and SLF is offensive.I agree that I am not a professional pilot---my medium is water---but I am darn good at what I do and have an excellent safety record.This particular item in the forum has,in my opinion,deteriorated to a point of complete insignificance;It was a simple question and all it needed was a simple answer....get a life,Moderator!

Load Toad
20th Jul 2012, 02:11
I'm a brilliant ceramicist but it doesn't mean I know jack about 'planes or regulations.

Your attitude is what got you called out. If you give a bad attitude - guess what - it cuts both ways.

Loerie
20th Jul 2012, 02:20
I never asked the original question---I merely reinforced the query because I had noticed the same thing....forget it,its really not worth the painful effort and retorts......the pilots and cc,very qualified,fly us here there and anywhere,apparently to the Airlines rules.
Let them do their thing so we are as safe as can be.I really do prefer that way and I travel a lot!

sevenstrokeroll
20th Jul 2012, 03:20
tight slot

I don't know if you know anything about flying, or emergency lighting and escape lighting systems...but you might want to bone up on the subjects.

our flight attendants are instructred by our company to tell the passengers the lights are being dimmed for evening travel as I outlined in my first post.

IF most of the people on the plane start using their reading lights, it would impact night vision.

you are really a bit annoying, aren't you?

The African Dude
20th Jul 2012, 06:10
When most people start doing that, things may have to change, but looking around it's usually less than 50%. Generalisation you understand.

Tightslot has made a fair point (not that they need my support) since, FWIW, I was always taught that the threshold to having majority effective night vision was a much more useful 20 minutes. But that's just what I was taught.