PDA

View Full Version : Rear Mounted Pods

PAXboy
17th Jul 2012, 15:24
(regular scheduled pax speaking)
It appears that the majority (I'm being cautious here!) of Biz Jets, have rear mounted engine pods. This question many have been asked before and it may have the simple answer - because of the size of fuselage/quietness/ and so forth.

So, Why?
And DO most Biz Jets have rearmounted pods?
Is it different for regional and international capability?

redsnail
17th Jul 2012, 16:09
Given the wing's close proximity to the ground, to fit underslung pods would not be viable.

galaxy flyer
17th Jul 2012, 16:36
I can't think of a underslung engined bizjet. The rear mount design allows the door entry to be near the ground obviating the need for ground stairs. The "clean wing" also has a slight advantage in runway performance. See VC-10 designed for good runway numbers. The design mission for business jets is at smaller airports with less facilities.

GF

mutt
17th Jul 2012, 18:57
I can't think of a underslung engined bizjet. Most of our bizjet fleet have wing mounted engines :):):)

The VFW 614 and new Honda Jet used engines mounted above the wing.

Mutt

His dudeness
17th Jul 2012, 20:08
Most of our bizjet fleet have wing mounted engines

Its bloody annoying to get it rubbed in like that ! ;)

Could you please change your username to 'Lord Flashheart' ! :)

redsnail
17th Jul 2012, 20:54
ACJs and BBJs aren't exactly bizjets in the true sense of the word. ;)
I used to think :cool: until I saw one poor sod unloading all the bags... :\

It's just my opinion but I think the Hondajets look a little funny. :confused:
I'm sure they perform just fine.

galaxy flyer
17th Jul 2012, 21:23
mutt

Shall I correct my post to include the clumsy wording, IMO, "purpose-built business jet"?

sevenstrokeroll
17th Jul 2012, 21:48
quite frankly , rear mounted jet engines are the best IMHO...less noise in the cabin if properly insulated.

as mentioned above, a clean wing is more efficent, also allowing shorter landing gear and easier access to the ground for air stairs.

flying qualities are nicer too...also the need for a large rudder to counter wing mounted engines is lessened.

the ULTIMATE business jet, the DC930 operated by Hugh Heffner had rear mounted engines. nuff said.

galaxy flyer
17th Jul 2012, 23:18
ULTIMATE, I what sense? Certainly, not as a plane, perhaps the F/As?

GF

ksjc
18th Jul 2012, 14:17
McDonnell 119/220 was a 4 engined underwing mounted biz jet. Westinghouse J34 engines...ca. 1960. I believe only 1 example was built.

HS125
20th Jul 2012, 15:29
KSJC is right here is is, with an interesting anti-fod solution.

McDonnell 220 Biz-Jet-"Promo Film"-1959 - YouTube

I'm not an engineer but I understand that with underslung pods the basic advantage is that you can produce 'weaker' wings as the normal lift force they have to withstand is partially offset by the mass of the pods. I suppose a combination of materials technology and the other factors discussed relating to business jets means this becomes a secondary concern.

clivewatson
20th Jul 2012, 16:30
vmca, vmcg and single engine performance.....designers may utilise engines that develop greater thrust.

PAXboy
20th Jul 2012, 16:47
Very interesting, thanks for all the points.

The promo of the '220' was a classic - all that stringed music and the upbeat voice. Then the diffident secretary ready to take dictation? Wonderful.

The above the wing pods of the VW 614 and Honda Jet are curious to look at - simply because we are not used to seeing that design.