PDA

View Full Version : Turkish touch and go

chillie
15th Jul 2012, 13:50
Friends on Turkish Airline into Zurich on Saturday afternoon said they did a touch and go on first attempt.
Any info, anyone?

Hotel Tango
15th Jul 2012, 14:13
A perfectly safe late go around can result in the wheels making short contact with the ground. The reason for the go around may be for a variety of reasons the most likely which may have been the previous aircraft not having fully vacated the runway.

Carbon Bootprint
15th Jul 2012, 15:16
A perfectly safe late go around can result in the wheels making short contact with the ground. The reason for the go around may be for a variety of reasons the most likely which may have been the previous aircraft not having fully vacated the runway. Completely agree, but it would be good to know what compelled the late GA. Anybody know what happened? :confused:

I take it the second attempt was successful.

SOPS
15th Jul 2012, 18:08
Does it matter?? Crew saw a problem, took action and result was positive. The plan is not to land at all costs, but land safley, so I figure the goal was reached. The rest does not matter.

Wirbelsturm
15th Jul 2012, 18:30
Zurich is infamous for tailwinds on approach and landing, maybe they were out of limits?

Speculation obviously.

Green Guard
15th Jul 2012, 18:53
Anybody know what happened? Everybody know(s) ! They did a G/A...

Armchairflyer
15th Jul 2012, 19:19
Zurich is infamous for tailwinds on approach and landingIndeed, listening to Zurich tower sometimes on LiveATC makes me wonder why active runways for landing are often 16 and/or 14 even with (albeit light) westerly winds while takeoffs are from the (shorter) 28. Anyone here knows why it's not rwy 32 in these conditions as naive armchairflyer thinking would suggest?

Wirbelsturm
15th Jul 2012, 19:51
Simple, Noise!

An approach to 32 would take the approach over the city.

Armchairflyer
15th Jul 2012, 20:25
Thanks for the enlightenment :).