PDA

View Full Version : b.1 licence... what to do after the modules?

Ash_pvfc
14th Jul 2012, 15:24
okay im really confused, im currently in the military working on apache helicopters and studying towards my b1 licence modules, i believed it was all modules passed and 5 years experience = b1 license, however iv seen something about getting basic hand skills, wire locking, inserting rivets etc signed off in a log book.. if iv recieved all this training in the military what do i have to do? i planned to do all modules then leave the army and get a fitters job or A licenced job using my 4 years mil experience, and get my extra years experience in civi street, but reading about getting all this signed off seems a lot harder than first thought, how do i get these signed off and how do i go about getting an aircraft type, do i do this through a fitters job? any help would be much appreciated :)

Capot
15th Jul 2012, 20:39
There are two routes to a licence.

You take a fully EASA Part 147-approved course, consisting of three elements; 13 Modules, Practical Training and OJT. They must all be provided by the same Training Organisation (The OJT must be arranged and supervised by the TO, and done in a Part 145 MRO). Then you must complete 3 years work experience, and prior experience eg Apache work in the military can be counted towards that (conditions apply, as they say...)
You simply self-study to sit and pass all the 13 Modules in a 5 year (or is it now 10?) period. But this time you need 5 years work experience (again, Apache work can count...).

The reason for the greater work experience requirement with Route 2 is because there is no Practical Training or OJT requirement with Route 2. You simply need the Modules and 5 years work experience.The extra work experience is supposed to make sure you have the right hand skills etc.

What you saw about hand skills etc is the Practical Training element that's done only in Route 1. Relax.

This is why the full-time 2 year Part 147-approved course is probably a waste of time and money (tuition alone £15,000 or so, less any Government grant), if you already have countable experience and can get a job (contracting?) as a fitter to build up the logbook while you complete the Modules.

tonkaplonka
16th Jul 2012, 08:45
You're military experience counts as a recognised apprenticeship. Just fill out the log book with 12 months experience on civvy aircraft, send it to the caa with your testamonial and hey presto, a B1.3 license! No need to prove you can wirelock etc. If you can get a type rating course in this time, even better. Just make sure you have a good variety of jobs on the type in question to get it on your license straight away. The whole process is very straight forward. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Quite a few of us were in he same position not so long ago. Hope this helps.

Mikhail Sharpowicz
6th Aug 2012, 21:52
Civvy aircraft experience needs a little pushing to get. You might find you can do some work for measly amounts of pay/free somewhere like the police helicopter on the far side of the airfield, or a local aircraft maintenance firm.
Don't be afraid to try any avenue that you can think of. There are no military folks holding you back once you are thinking about seriously pushing the big red JPA button!!

lowfat
7th Aug 2012, 09:03
You have to realise is the onus is on you to prove your suitability as a LAE.

One way you can do this is get the CAP741 and fill in all the training sections.
A military supervisor can sign off on this.
The more info YOU provide helps YOUR case. Yes people have been declined for not showing basic hand skills, this is entirely down to not using the log book.

Its their log book fill in the sections relevant and they can't complain.

1 year civil experience may be sufficient including your time in the military.