PDA

View Full Version : New Mentored Scheme

ppl_student
27th Jun 2007, 16:17
Does anyone have any details on how many places are available on this scheme? Maybe someone who works for them has an idea of how many they want to recruit?

Also, what is the average time to command?

Re-Heat
27th Jun 2007, 17:23
Since it has only been running separately for 2 months, it hardly has an average time to command that anyone can pin down!

ppl_student
27th Jun 2007, 17:43
Fair point! From what I've read, the cityflyer routes used to be BA Connect routes? Then when it was sold to flybe, BA kept the london city routes and resurrected cityflyer (which used to operate from gatwick a few years ago)? So are most of the pilots ex-BACON?

future captain
27th Jun 2007, 20:09
Has any one received the questions?

I know one person who has so far, I have never applied to these schemes so am just wondering.

Mr_Turner
28th Jun 2007, 18:05
I have received the questions, i got them yesterday...........means i have to have sent them back some time tomorrow.

Does anybody know how many places BA are looking for in this scheme ?

ppl_student
28th Jun 2007, 19:57
I think there is only one place available. The question about being based in jerez used to be "If selected you will be based in jerez...." for the last 3 thomsonfly schemes, flybe, and gb airways... the question for cityflyer says "the candidate will be based"... so I think they changed it because there is only one place. Considering they must have received a few hundred applications, chances are pretty slim :}

Anyway, there is another thread for all of this in the jobs fourm, can we keep that there and discuss the actual airline here?

future captain
28th Jun 2007, 20:55
All this for one place, don't see it, but never know. For one, they could have just found a graduated FTE student (interviewed a few, and selected one).

ppl_student
29th Jun 2007, 09:41
Yes but the airline gets money from FTE if they do a "scheme" :E

The october course is going to have 6 Tfly on it, some from GB Airways (I would think at least 4?) and FTE courses are no more than 12 places. So I really cannot see there being more than 1 or 2 places available for cityflyer.

bigmustard
1st Jul 2007, 22:50
Does anyone have any details on how many places are available on this scheme?

Yes but the airline gets money from FTE if they do a "scheme" :E

No they don't

magicmick
14th Jul 2012, 10:39
Worth a look maybe

BA Cityflyer Mentored Scheme with FTE Jerez | 1401345425 (http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401345425/ba-cityflyer-mentored-scheme/)

Lakhan
14th Jul 2012, 14:23
Just saw this right now.

Standard MPL with rating later on. There's nothing on FTEs website though? :confused:

future-pilot
14th Jul 2012, 14:33
It will be officialy open from the 17th of July.

High-higher
14th Jul 2012, 14:52
It seems you can already start going through the process.

I submitted the application form and have received an automated email giving me a password to start completing the essay style questions in part 2.

rob-d
14th Jul 2012, 17:06
Its very disappointing to see FTE are not giving the few hundred unemployed guys they trained over the last 4 years a chance of a checkride or interview too.

future-pilot
14th Jul 2012, 17:10
It seems you can already start going through the process.
I sent my application twice, but I haven't heard back from them.
High-Higher Can you post the questions please?

High-higher
14th Jul 2012, 17:14
The email was in my junk box, it will either say you have met the criteria for the next stage or you have not, along with a password if successful.

The email is immediate, so you should have it unless you entered your address incorrectly.

It's just the usual questions you'd expect with any application, give an example of a time you were leader etc...

future-pilot
14th Jul 2012, 17:51
Thanks mate!!
Do you know how many places are there?

High-higher
14th Jul 2012, 18:04
Selection will follow the same format and battery of tests as in previous FTEJerez schemes. The top four candidates will be offered positions on the course to commence training at Jerez on 12th of October 2012.

Just four it would seem...

VNAVPTH
15th Jul 2012, 10:33
Why would they be against MPL?

Anunaki
15th Jul 2012, 14:27
Why?? :hmm: Last year they recruited 200h CPL holders on a First Officer Trainee Scheme which many people (including me) hoped it would reopen this year!!Many boys and girls out there with licences,coming from the big 3 schools therefore high standard,without jobs,so it was cheaper for them to put them in a transition course,put them up to their standard then Type rating.Why open yet another MPL course,will cost them more money to get candidates with less experience/stick time.The obvious answer is someone is on the payroll,back room deals.
CTC,OAA and FTE are the evils of this industry,now they have the total monopoly of the industry here in the UK and since GA is nearly inexistent,I believe there's no room for modulars or any integrated fella who didn't signed up for their £100K + scams...very sad BA Cityflyer signed up for that.
Is a matter of time until Eastern,Loganair,Are Arann make deals with the institutions above,taking the remaining chances of anyone trying to set foot on a airliner...
I have criticised many people over here regarding their desire of going for P2F schemes but now I have been thinking,hard,can we blame them?? Good luck for those going for City,some will argue that it is a good opportunity and it is,I just don't see the need of it right now,considering the amount of guys out there waiting.:ugh:

kingofkabul
15th Jul 2012, 15:51
Just because you trained at one of the "big 3" integrated schools does not necessarily make you "high quality". It merely means you had the ability to pay for the course and that you managed to pass it. Airlines are turning to mentored schemes for a number of reasons, one of them being that they want to attract what they deem to be the "right stuff" for their cockpits. This involves pre-selection and mentoring throughout training. Hats off to Cityflyer for commencing a mentored scheme, and good luck to those about to embark on the selection process.

Anunaki
15th Jul 2012, 16:08
...having said that,isn't it a bit of a contradiction,coming from those organisations,selling their F/O programs with a sale pitch "this is the right stuff if you want to fly for the airlines" then selling the MPL's for the airlines "you'll only get the right stuff through this channel"...where's BALPA on that matter?completely out of touch....
p.s-the structure of the courses are very similar,except the fact we get more flying time,making the package more complete.Plus,the assessments are the same,and the cadet also need the ability to pay,the same money for less,so there's a flaw on that argument I'm afraid....:hmm:

FlyerJoe
15th Jul 2012, 17:16
I followed the link, however the ad seems to have been removed. How have people already applied.

Any info would be great

Fostex
15th Jul 2012, 18:05
Out of interest does the company have a development plan to allow FO's to upgrade from MPL -> ATPL or are they stuck in the right seat for eternity until they leave and retrain.

What credit does an MPL give towards and ATPL?

No RYR for me
16th Jul 2012, 07:53
Its very disappointing to see FTE are not giving the few hundred unemployed guys they trained over the last 4 years a chance of a checkride or interview too.

For a job in 2014? Why would they have to wait until then to get a job?

No RYR for me
16th Jul 2012, 08:48
Out of interest does the company have a development plan to allow FO's to upgrade from MPL -> ATPL or are they stuck in the right seat for eternity until they leave and retrain.

What credit does an MPL give towards and ATPL?

Type in google: IATA MPL FAQ and all will be explained.... :rolleyes:

Captain_Bling
16th Jul 2012, 21:46
The door at last opens just a tiny crack but the bouncer says we are all
too well dressed to come in. In studying commercial aviation today you
get a snapshot view of how human greed destroys life for most of us.

max_drift
16th Jul 2012, 22:38
Is a matter of time until Eastern,Loganair,Are Arann make deals with the institutions aboveCurrent reputation of One of the big three, at one of those airlines anyway, has hit rock-bottom and shows signs of starting to dig with the exceptions able to be counted on one hand...

taxistaxing
17th Jul 2012, 12:40
Anyone else been rejected immediatley despite meeting (and exceeding) the basic requirements? Could be down to age of course - but surely they wouldn't be that blatant.... :ugh:

Would at least have hoped for a crack at the questions!

Coventrian
17th Jul 2012, 13:01
I guess the reason for not employing us fATPL guys is due to forecasting requirements, they probably don't need junior FOs for another 18 months and heard good things from the other carriers about the MPL trained guys.

It must get better guys! :ok:

GolfTangoFoxtrot
17th Jul 2012, 18:34
I'm assuming the "Leaving Certificate Science" on the initial application refers to GCSE?

Mark0505
17th Jul 2012, 21:46
Hi again guys,

After 5 years of absence from this topic, has been released the BA Cityflyer Mentored Pilot Scheme by FTE Jerez:

Terms:
Terms | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/terms/10)

Apply:
FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/selection/bacityflyer#)

There is someone who knows the number of the pilots that will be selected and other info of this programme?

Thanks in advance.

Fostex
17th Jul 2012, 22:15
I hold a PPL, have 4 A-levels at grade A, A's in English, Maths and Science at GCSE, a first class EEE MEng and am 30. Got email with login to fill in application form.

Awaiting rejection at next stage :ok:

taxistaxing
18th Jul 2012, 06:05
Fair enough sounds like I was sunk by GCSE grade b in maths :{. Apologies for the bitter sounding post! Good luck to those applying.

magicmick
18th Jul 2012, 07:04
Marco

The paragraph below is copied from the link that you provided in your own post:

Selection will follow the same format and battery of tests as in previous FTEJerez schemes. The top four candidates will be offered positions on the course to commence training at Jerez on 12th of October 2012

Would seem to indicate space for the top 4 applicants.

17PA
18th Jul 2012, 07:35
I had a B in GCSE maths too but got the email link to the next stage...

taxistaxing
18th Jul 2012, 08:17
Cheers 17PA. In that case I may revisit as have As for science/English GCSE, AAAA at A level and a degree. I might have carelessly ticked the box saying I was an employee of the company or something...

What are peoples' thoughts on applying if you've signed up for ATPL groundschool by distance learning but yet to take any of the exams? Presumably this wouldn't preclude you as technically you haven't advanced beyond PPL at this stage.

ProPwannabe
18th Jul 2012, 12:16
Guys, can anyone tell me whats the difference of the MPL and ATPL?

From my own research it says "MPL applies competency-based training throughout. The traditional ‘hours-based’ qualification process fails to guarantee competency in all cases. Pilots with 10,000 hours may demonstrate a lower level of competency than those with only a few hundred hours."
"The MPL initiative is NOT economy driven, but it will improve efficiency by the fact that it enhances operational safety by producing better pilots. MPL development was driven by the fact that the 40-years old standards of Annex 1 and Annex 6 had become out of step with the evolving industry practice, the developments of simulation and of modern Instructional System Design."

You will learn ATPL theory and exams etc, so is a MPL basically a ATPL but with more emphasis on CRM and TEM(Threat and Error Management)?
Can a MPL holder be in command of an aircraft? or will you need to have additional ATPL and CPL license?

For roughly the same amount of money will it be better getting a more recognised and accepted ATPL instead?

Thanks guys!

jez d
18th Jul 2012, 12:29
For roughly the same amount of money will it be better getting a more recognised and accepted ATPL instead

You're missing the point. Any airline mentored training programme (fATPL or MPL, it doesn't matter) is better than a self-sponsored programme given the much higher likelihood of getting a job on graduation.

Note: I wrote likelihood, not guarantee.

GolfTangoFoxtrot
18th Jul 2012, 14:12
Did the phase 2 email with the questions arrive in your inbox immediately after the initial application as it suggests? I applied this morning but still haven't received the email.

taxistaxing
18th Jul 2012, 14:33
ProPwannabe - you should google it for a full explanation, but basically the MPL is a multi-crew specific qualification that trains you to work in a multi-crew cockpit with one airline's SOPs. You therefore cannot simply pitch up to a school and pay for a MPL course, you have to do it in conjunction with a sponsoring airline. It is not a license in its own right but when you complete the course you acquire an MPL(A) which entitles you to fly one particular type for the airline training you. The MPL(A) then turns into a full ATPL when you gain 1500 hours. At that point you would have the same license as someone who acquired an ATPL through the traditional route. Up until that point you don't even have PPL privileges, and can only fly one type of aircraft for one airline.

The downside is even though the MPL requires less flight training than the traditional PPL-CPL-MEIR/MCC route, it doesn't cost any less :ugh: . Plus the fact that, until the point you are acquire a full ATPL, you can only work at the airline training you. I think there's still quite a bit of uncertainty about what qualification you would end up with if the airline training you went bust half way through the training.

ProPwannabe
18th Jul 2012, 15:17
thanks jez and taxis!

GoldTangoFoxtrot I found the FTE email in my junkmail inbox (hotmail) the day after I sent my initial application

GolfTangoFoxtrot
18th Jul 2012, 15:18
Nothing in the junk folder...Is it too early to call them?

GolfTangoFoxtrot
18th Jul 2012, 15:19
ProP - Did it arrive a day after you sent the initial application or is that when you spotted it?

17PA
18th Jul 2012, 16:33
It's an immediate email, so unless you entered your email address incorrectly, might be worth calling.

GrummanSk
18th Jul 2012, 21:39
GolfTangoFoxtrot is your email a gmail account by any chance? I used a gmail account in my application and I never received an email back. I tryed an alternative hotmail email address and I received a reply back. :)

Could be a gmail issue :rolleyes:

Mark0505
18th Jul 2012, 23:16
I've also used a Gmail account and i has no answer from the site. I'll try again soon with another email account.

spoon84
19th Jul 2012, 06:11
Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue, sent yesterday using a gmail account but still didn't receive any reply back! What a strange situation?!?! :*

spoon84
19th Jul 2012, 08:23
just received the email for the 2nd phase! :D:O

GolfTangoFoxtrot
19th Jul 2012, 12:05
Also now received the phase 2 questions, thanks for your suggestions.

Lyco360
20th Jul 2012, 19:31
Guys and gals makes sure you take a good look through the small print and see exactly what's in the contract... Particularly what happens if BACF chooses not to take you on after the course is completed. The MPL ties you into flying for BACF after FTE so make sure there's some sort of allowance that will enable you to transfer on to an fATPL scheme should it not work out. Remember the two courses are quite different.

There was a total of 6 students on the last two BACF courses a few years back. Of those only 4 made it through to the airline after finishing at FTE.

Lyco360
20th Jul 2012, 21:34
BA CityFlyer has hired a lot of self sponsored students from FTE over the years as well as sending quite a few mentored students through, (as did BA Connect before it was broken down into BA CityFlyer or sold off to FlyBe).

Certainly with the last few courses I don't think they had a set number of places in mind, but it usually ended up as either two or four at a time. The most recent 6, (four or five years ago now) were from separate applications and went into two separate courses.

This is the first time they've gone for the MPL so things might be different. But I'd guess it'll be around four places again. Any more would be quite a risk for a small airline, and I suspect FTE would want that as a minimum to make it worth their while, It'll almost certainly have to be multiples of two for the sim.

ProPwannabe
20th Jul 2012, 22:34
Ooo sounds evil, choosing more self sponsored applicant than needed with no cost to themselves and still leaving themselves a choice to pick the best students while throwing the other self sponsored students out.

its a dog eat dog world.

FlyerJoe
21st Jul 2012, 11:57
Gmail worked ok for me

FlyerJoe
23rd Jul 2012, 14:13
Hi,

has anyone found out if they have got to stage 3 assessment in Manchester yet? If not does anyone have any idea when people will start to find out? Only after 29th?

ProPwannabe
26th Jul 2012, 11:04
havent received any contact about stage 3 as of yet...

has anyone?

GolfTangoFoxtrot
26th Jul 2012, 11:27
Nope, and I don't expect to until a few days after the 29th...Patience my friend!;)

zizi_87
2nd Aug 2012, 11:00
Invitations have been sent today.

zizi_87
2nd Aug 2012, 12:49
I know someone going but I have no idea how many are going.

FlyerJoe
2nd Aug 2012, 13:37
I have not recieved anything. Are they not meant to let you know even if you have not got through?

GolfTangoFoxtrot
2nd Aug 2012, 22:13
Can anyone remember the proposed dates of the final interview with BACF? (Getting wildly ahead of myself I know - just need to choose a date for something and don't want any chance of a clash if I'm jammy enough to get through) As far as I could see the dates have been removed from FTE's website. Thanks in advance:ok:

GolfTangoFoxtrot
3rd Aug 2012, 09:15
Thank you ipilot, yes I heard yesterday morning. All the best.

FlyerJoe
4th Aug 2012, 12:50
Is anyone still waiting for a reply. I don't want to seem impatient but I thought I would have herd something by now, even if I had not got through?

FlyerJoe
9th Aug 2012, 22:32
Did anyone else end up getting offered a place for an assessment?

ProPwannabe
11th Aug 2012, 15:32
yes, i did, going for phase 3 next week.

what about you flyerjoe?

FlyerJoe
11th Aug 2012, 17:53
I only just found out their original e-mail never reached me. However unfortunately I did not get through. :ugh::{ I know that the can't give individual feed back but it would be nice to know why I didn't get through.

nickyboy007
12th Aug 2012, 14:32
Can anyone who has been to the assesment comment on which of the exams you are allowed a calculator in?

MrBrightside
14th Aug 2012, 13:05
Did any of the guys that got through to phase 3 receive directions to the assessment building? I have emailed a few times to ask for these directions but no word? I have the address but is there any specific entry instructions?

RNAVapproach
29th Aug 2012, 15:45
Anybody hear back today??

RNAVapproach
30th Aug 2012, 13:07
Yeah, I got the nod yesterday! Absolutely delighted! What about yourself?

GolfTangoFoxtrot
30th Aug 2012, 13:49
Hi there, also successful! :):ok:

RNAVapproach
30th Aug 2012, 16:24
Happy Days! Na mate, I'm from Northern Ireland. Have you guys got any info from FTE other than the congrats email?

Also was anyone on the 15th Aug Phase 3?

average-punter
31st Aug 2012, 12:22
Congrats to everyone that got in!!! Does anyone have a contact number for BACF recruitment? I can't find one anywhere. I called BA mainline and they couldn't give me a number either...

Cheers!

GolfTangoFoxtrot
2nd Sep 2012, 09:28
No I haven't heard anything from FTE since the initial email, I suspect/hope we'll get a phone call on Monday. Really looking forward to arriving in Jerez, it's all a bit of shock at the moment! I'm not too far from London if any of you fancy a celebratory beverage (apologies RNav will have to catch up in Spain!) If so we'll PM before the mods label this a 'social thread' and get grumpy! :ok:

GolfTangoFoxtrot
2nd Sep 2012, 09:31
Also, thanks average punter...Did you also get the nod?

average-punter
2nd Sep 2012, 12:26
GTF: Unfortunately not :( Did anyone get a place with phase 3 on 14th August?