PDA

View Full Version : Is "Flight Standards" at DJ an oxymoron?

Jim Shoos
14th Jul 2012, 06:01
The recent survey to gauge pilot satisfaction with standards department can only be described as farcical and simply highlights the lengths the iniquitous doyens of the department will go to maintain their positions. Apparently the new CP wishes to appraise himself of the general sentiment towards flight standards. Not unwarranted given the allegations of corruption and nepotism which abound yet go unchallenged. For such a survey to be successful, one would expect it to have questions like:

In your experience have you found standards staff to demonstrate the highest standards of professionalism and adherence to SOP's?
Do you consider the scheduling of training to be realistic?
In your experience are training facilitators and they material they use to worlds best practice?
In your experience are check flights conducted fairly?
In your opinion are assessments consistent between check pilots?
Have you ever encountered difficulties with training or checking staff? and if so
Was the appropriate resolution process followed?

Alas fully cognisant of the answers that would be forthcoming the questions were trivial and entirely designed to make the steaming pile come our smelling of roses:

Did the transport arrive on time?
Was the accommodation acceptable?
Were the training facilities acceptable?

SERIOUSLY?

Putting the dog in charge of the butcher shop is never going to work.

Perhaps the FEDS or VIPA should run their own independent survey? and compare results. Wait a minute that would just be more inconvenient truth to be buried under the carpet.

RIP ETHICS

The Bunglerat
14th Jul 2012, 06:11
Yaaaawwnn. Another DJ-bashing thread from old mate Jim. :zzz:

Servo
16th Jul 2012, 22:50
He speaks the truth. Unless you are management and keep putting your head in the sand, hoping these issues will go away or you are protecting your position, it is obvious out on the line that these issues exist.

Bunglerat, go back to sleep, obviously keeping you awake.

Still a big mates club and GA outfit, unfortunately. Those that try and change it are quickly cut down. Sad really.

ad-astra
17th Jul 2012, 03:24
Well I too am a bit sleepy reading the posts by Jim.

I must have been working for a completely different Virgin Blue / Virgin Australia for the last 10 years to the one Jim supposedly does as I have not experienced the trials and tribulations that so worry Jim.

Interestingly neither Jim nor the vast majority of Virgin Australia pilots are so disenchanted with the evil 'Flght Ops' that they decide to vote with their feet and move to greener pastures!

I think most people will see this thread for what it is!

Scamp Damp
17th Jul 2012, 05:31
Maybe VA should be taxiing around with their "wing inspection" lights on - as per world best practice and have no airmanship... maybe you should discuss that Jim?

Servo
17th Jul 2012, 05:46
Ad-Astra, you must be right, wow you have been there for 10 years and not seen or heard anything, therefore old jim should move on.

I hope you are up with the company TCAS manuever, because if you rely on see and be seen, VA are in trouble. :ouch:

Much Ado
17th Jul 2012, 07:25
Whining here will really change stuff too:ugh:

If you're that concerned put it in writing to CASA.