PDA

View Full Version : Accessing wireless internet

flynverted
13th Jul 2012, 10:27
G'day, I have wireless internet (The type that plugs into the USB port ). It's obviously password protected but in the settings menu I have it set to remember my password and I connect to the internet by clicking on "CONNECT" without having to enter my password.

Lately I've been getting an occasional popup warning saying something about " another computer connected, I.P. conflict..'
Sorry, don't remember the exact wording. Anyhow, my question is, if I'm connected to the internet, is it possible for someone else within wireless range of my computer to access the internet via my computer/internet while I'm online? I know that I'm the only one who can log on (unless someone has my password) but once I connect to the internet, can someone else log in on my account? :confused:

Thanks in advance :ok:

gramaticus
13th Jul 2012, 11:10
I understand they can access the 'net' using your connection, but would be unable to see your files - unless they have your password that is
Anyone else confirm this.....

green granite
13th Jul 2012, 11:51
Sorry but your post isn't quite plain, are you accessing the net through a mobile phone network or land line through a wireless router? If the later do you have the signal encrypted?

flynverted
14th Jul 2012, 02:26
gg, It's a Big Pond 7.2 USB card
Bigpond 7.2 USB Card, Super fast Bigpond wireless broadband access of up to 7.2MBPS - Call 1300 088 088 for installation of Cabling DATA Faults and telephone REPAIRS (http://www.telephonesonline.com.au/cordless-wireless/Bigpond/bigpond/7_2_Telstra/wireless_usb_Super_fast_download_wireless_broadband_access/nextg.html)

Milo Minderbinder
14th Jul 2012, 11:22
that seems to be a G3 dongle. No, no-one else can access the internet through that unless (1) you are connected to a local network and (2) you have internet connection sharing turned on

You don't mention the version of windows on the machine, but in Vista or Win7 the error could be due to a conflict between the built in drivers within the operating system, and those on the dongle: both trying to control the dongle at the same time
Or it could be that your phone company is running out of IP addresses for the number of clients it has

flynverted
14th Jul 2012, 12:41
Thanks, Milo :ok: By the way OS is Win7.

lomapaseo
14th Jul 2012, 16:12
I occasionaly get a similar mssage about "another computer". I was advised it is because I have multiple computers in my households all running at the same time while hooked up to the internetthroug the same router. It is caused by the way my ISP assigns addresses when multiple machines downstream of my router have the same computer name.

The fix is to name each computer uniquely.

parabellum
15th Jul 2012, 01:17
My Dell computer running XP doesn't like me being connected to a 3 or 4G dongle and have the wireless card to the ADSL wireless modem active at the same time, as soon as I shut down the inbuilt wireless card everything goes well.