PDA

View Full Version : PTC Students - some regulatory help from the UK CAA

Alex Whittingham
13th Jul 2012, 10:23
The UK CAA Policy department have said:

"The recognition of theoretical knowledge examinations must be “ to the satisfaction” of the State of Licence issue. Therefore, it shall be UK CAA policy that, for any student transferring from an Irish ATO to a UK ATO, for whom the UK CAA will become their Competent Authority, that have partially completed the theoretical knowledge examinations requirements under the auspices of the IAA, any successfully completed examinations will be accepted by the UK CAA for the purpose of satisfying the requirements of EU Regulation 1178/2011 Annex I, FCL.025. Any outstanding examinations may subsequently be completed under the auspices of the UK CAA and acceptable, within the validity periods of FCL.025, for the purpose of licence issue by the UK CAA."

Which means that PTC students who have part complete ATPL Exams can transfer to a UK FTO to finish off, and the UK CAA will accept their existing exam passes. Well done the CAA.

rmcb
13th Jul 2012, 10:30
A triumph of imagination and common sense.
Well done the CAA
Seconded here.

Alex Whittingham
13th Jul 2012, 13:04
Negotiations have been going on for a few days. Not sure what happened but this was announced yesterday and yes, it is only what it says, Ireland and the UK. I think this is an intelligent 'interpretation' of the rules that the CAA would not wish to be seen as a precedent.

this is my username
13th Jul 2012, 18:35
It's a good job that JAA / EASA have joined everything up and they aren't just a bunch of independent authorities doing their own thing and not recognising each other's competence ...... not.

paco
13th Jul 2012, 19:08
There has been an "exchange of training" agreement between the IAA and CAA for a very long time anyway - but as Alex says, well done the CAA.

Cows getting bigger
13th Jul 2012, 20:45
GRICH, there are others, such as PACO, who are in a similar position as Alex to help these poor individuals. Personally, I'm not in a position to offer a free ride but I can certainly add a deal of financial understanding to individuals who are tens of thousands out of pocket. Yes, some may view this as me behaving like a vulture but, at the end of the day, none of us are charities.

The reality is that the industry has a poor buisiness reputation. Those of us who are fortunate enough to be in a position where we can deliver, with financial security, have a duty to improve the industry's reputation.

dave_o_EI
14th Jul 2012, 12:17
@Alex.Whittingham

Alex can you tell me if this was an official press release or an email from the CAA Policy department? Can't find anything on the CAA website myself and I need to have it in writing so to speak...

Alex Whittingham
14th Jul 2012, 12:34
It was in an email to me from the CAA. You can rely on it, I think.

CATS Support
14th Jul 2012, 16:41
By Monday we will have a clear idea on how to proceed with the theory rescue

The information we have received is slightly different and we are seeking clarification

This is part of an email exchange received by CATS:

All students records held by PTC have been seized and quarantined by the IAA and electronic copies will be made available to schools who accept the transfer of students.* The only outstanding obstacle which could present itself to any student choosing to transfer to a UK school is the recognition of any completed theoretical knowledge examinations. FCL.025 requires all examinations to be completed under the auspices of one competent authority;

The bit about part acceptance is not clear in writing to us yet at CATS

We expect part acceptance and then completion plans can be offered

paco
15th Jul 2012, 21:50
I would have thought the memorandum I have a copy of is valid enough to have any training done in Ireland automatically accepted, unless EASA has changed things - I can email copies to anyone who wants it

Alex Whittingham
15th Jul 2012, 23:33
I think that memo applies to JAA regulations, Phil. As the UKCAA are now operating to Part FCL (more or less) they work to EASA rules.

BillieBob
16th Jul 2012, 10:23
It would be perverse of the UK CAA to blame Part-FCL for any reluctance to help out the PTC victims as it will not become effective in the UK until 17 Sep 2012 and in the ROI until 8 Apr 2013.

CATS Support
17th Jul 2012, 06:49
Clarification received yesterday from the UK CAA:

At the time of writing this email, if the UK is to be the state of licence issue, it has been agreed* to allow PTC students, who have partially complete their ATPL exams, to sit the outstanding exams with a UK ATO, once all exams have been completed, within the validity periods, the UK CAA will accept the exam results from the IAA and the UK CAA towards licence issue, ensuring all requirements of FCL.025 are satisfied.*