PDA

View Full Version : Vale Dr. Bob Helmreich

Thats what she said
13th Jul 2012, 03:44
It is with sadness that I heard today of the passing of Dr. Bob Helmreich Ph.D. FRAe, just a few days ago.

Anyone who has undertaken even the smallest amount of study in the Human Factors/CRM/TEM world would be very familiar with Bob's work. He was the "father" of CRM and his great work will be his legacy.

I met him only once, at the University of Texas, and not only was he a legend in the world of aviation academia, but also a bloody nice guy. I have no doubt many will miss him.

His first day at UT was the same day some loony climbed the clock tower and started taking pot shots at students and staff of the university with a high powered rifle. Having survived that, and some eye opening observations of life in airlines, his heart finally attacked and killed him. He only recently "retired". Very sad.

Godspeed Bob.

This from UT website:

Robert Helmreich (http://www.psy.utexas.edu/psy/faculty/Helmreich/helmreich.html), Professor Emeritus of Psychology and pioneer of air safety research, died on Saturday, July 7, 2012. Dr. Helmreich taught at the University from 1966-2007. As principal investigator of the Human Factors Research Project, (http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/group/HelmreichLAB/) he studied group behavior in challenging environments such as undersea exploration, aviation, space and the medical operating room.

He was the recipient of numerous awards, including the Aviation Week and Space Technology's Distinguished Contribution to Aviation Safety Award in 1994, and the 1997 David S. Sheridan Award for distinguished service to mankind in the fields of science and medicine. He was editor of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, and authored more than two hundred papers, chapters, books, and scientific reports.

Dr. Helmreich will always be remembered as someone who demanded that psychology move beyond the narrow confines of the lab. His energy, dedication, intelligence, and humor will be missed.