PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of flying highperformance and complex airplane(c182)for instrument rating

raiecheverria
13th Jul 2012, 02:33
Im starting my instrument rating in a few days, and i supposed to do my flight training in 172SP G1000, but the school offer me to do mi training in the cessna 182 (high performance and complex airplane and no G1000), about the money there is not so much difference in the hour rate, so what do you think? its a good chooice to flight cessna182 for instrument and the possibility of flying an highperformance and compex airplane? any kind of benefits instead the 172SP G1000?
Thank you very much ;)

mad_jock
13th Jul 2012, 17:44
The number of steam instrument machines out there is more than glass.

Going from steam to glass is relatively simple, the other way round is harder.

The complex does add to the work load but is nothing unusual and you will soon get used to it

flying apple
14th Jul 2012, 12:14
i would say try a bit of both :)
i have only flown with the garmin (on diamond 40 and 42) and i really liked it
but if i now want to fly ir on steam gauges i don't know how to do it properly

if i'ts possible try to start with the normal cockpit and in a later stage go to the garmin

Tinstaafl
14th Jul 2012, 17:36
My opinion is that steam guages & complex* is a better platform to develop your skills than glass & fixed gear. If it's only small cost difference then go with the C182.

By complex I include retractable gear. Is that the case for this one? If not then maybe the cost difference isn't worth it.

raiecheverria
15th Jul 2012, 14:31
thanks for the comments! yes, is a retractable landing gear, constant speed prop...

Artic Monkey
15th Jul 2012, 16:29
Did my IR in a steam driven Seneca II some years ago, never had any issues at all. Loved it. :ok:

Neptunus Rex
15th Jul 2012, 19:10
Go for steam; you will learn more, which will stand you in good stead when later you inevitably change to glass.