PDA

View Full Version : Age Ranges

limesoda
12th Jul 2012, 13:06
Its probably been on here before, but what would be the ideal age range for first time employment?

My worry is that with me graduating at 20, airlines may think i am not as 'mature' :cool:

Comments much appreciated!
Cheers

i_like_tea
12th Jul 2012, 13:44
I would say it is going to depend on you and how mature you are a person.

I was 20 when I got my first job flying for one of the carries in Europe, but was fairly mature for my age I'm told.

Some guys who were also my age on finishing training struggled a bit and perhaps don't have the right attitude, so it really depends on the individual.
University isn't a bad idea if you need to get some life experience.

limesoda
12th Jul 2012, 15:13
I am positive i have a mature attitude. I am only 17; never smoked, don't get drunk or ever done drugs, so i guess i am one step closer.

Yes Uni would be a good option but its just more money! Besides how much will a degree actually help?

Bealzebub
12th Jul 2012, 15:36
What is it you are graduating from?

Airlines take on a number of pilots in their early twenties as part of their cadet intake. These pilots have usually come through one of the major schools tied programmes.

The ones I have seen this year range from 20 to 31 although that is simply a "snapshot" figure rather than some defined requirement. Most have university degrees, about 25% don't (again a snapshot figure.)

These programmes will require a certain level of maturity, and it would be normal for that maturity to develop during the course. Any placement airline would also likely interview prospective candidates where their background and maturity would form an integral part of that normal process.

I would point out there is often a significant variation in "maturity" between the teenage years and the early twenties (thank God!)

As for your question, it rather depends on the perspective. For a wannabe then obviously the ideal age for employment is as soon as possible, and preferably straight out of flight school. Sadly, that is rarely the case.

An airline really doesn't care. The methodology used in the various employment programmes, is likely to result in a broad range of figures. It is the attributes of the individual that are the deciding factor. For cadet employment through recognised training programmes, it is quite normal to see people in their very late teens and early twenties in the broader proportions I have already mentioned.

limesoda
12th Jul 2012, 19:46
It will be the first officer programme (integrated) at OAA that i will be graduating from. Without a degree under my belt, will it prose a problem when looking for employment out the other side?
Im honestly so torn between whether i should just go for it, or do a degree, but i don't think i want to go through 3 years of something i may or may not do!
Help!

But in regards to the age, i'm getting the impression that being a younger, low 20 pilot will not be too much of a problem

i_like_tea
12th Jul 2012, 20:12
It won't make much difference to employment.. because either there will be a lot or there won't be much at all frankly, it is a big gamble.

I started when no one was getting jobs at all and I jumped into a fantastic job, where I see my long term future, within a month on graduation.

Having said that, some similar aged guys who didn't really perhaps have the same maturity, dedication or whatever the word struggled and it took a good year or so to get a job and then they were lucky.

Also, there have been a few people recently (who OAA won't tell you about of course) who have pulled out of the course during ground school because they basically got homesick - too young compared to the rest of them etc.
And it is tough, you leave home effectively and you're now hanging out with 24 - 34 year olds, which can be very difficult at times even if you're used to friends of that age.

limesoda
12th Jul 2012, 20:20
The point you made about hanging out with 24-34 year olds and being homesick really touched me!

If i do commit it will be really tough leaving my family, friends and girlfriend! :{ And shooting off to Arizona for 5 months makes me scared. But i am a very individual person in reality, and i relish the adventure!

It is a big gamble i agree and your points are much appriciated

Thank you