PDA

View Full Version : OASC -> IOT Timescale

JNo
3rd Apr 2002, 10:06
Hey people,

I'm going to Cranwell this Sunday for my OASC and was wondering if you could tell me from your experiences:

(a) : How long after attending OASC you found out whether you had made it through into the RAF.
(b) : What sort of proportion get failed on things other than medical/fitness (I'm 99% sure of the medical as I've just had a similar one and passed with flying colours and I'm aiming to break 15 on the bleep test tonight :mad: )
(c) : How long after OASC you were able to commence IOT.

The reason I'm asking is I graduated last summer and am currently in a fairly dead end (and dull) job to pay the bills. I have recently (today!) been offered a pretty good job abroad in another firm and have 6 weeks to accept it or turn it down. :p

Cheers guys (and girls!)
J NO

BASUTO7
3rd Apr 2002, 12:17
First of all good luck,

Your medical sounds fine as does your fitness, if you can produce that before you start you will have no worries passing the course physically. When I and alot of my friends went through, no news was good news, and the time it takes to find out can range from a week to a couple of months depending on whether or not you have been "pooled" for a partcular trade group as often happens ( this basically means that alot of you are in the running and they are still to decide which of the candidates will be selected). During your letter of congratulations should you hopefully be accepted, there may be a choice of which IOT you would prefer, but dont count on this. In short it is quite an unsure and moveable feast but dont be afraid to politely ask them at selection of a likely start date, as you will be given the opportunity to ask questions yourself after the interview is over and they will be as honest as they can be, as you do have a life to run before you join!

BEST OF LUCK

bad livin'
3rd Apr 2002, 13:32
Good work fella - hope it all goes well for you at OASC. I did mine in March the year I joined and started on the August course, generally D Squadron - you might well make the same one all being well. Let us know how you get on.

Rgds
BL:D

JNo
3rd Apr 2002, 14:43
A mate of mine (who is still at Durham Uni) enters this year in June, he's made a few enquiries and thinks (?!) I may be able to join as soon as then - fingers crossed. That would be ideal as I could resign immediately, refuse to serve my notice and get a few good weeks golfing in!

Right got to get this report finished for my boss "Why W.A. should be diverting investment away from Hong Kong into Shanghai" - has anybody else read this weeks Economist? :) I hope my boss hasn't!

JNo
5th Apr 2002, 09:14
Sorry to blatantly post a message on my own question to merely promote it back to the top but anybody else got any more info / experiences?

sps1013
5th Apr 2002, 10:46
I know that this is perhaps not the ideal topic but it is related....honest.
Does anybody know how long it takes from the pre screening interview to being offered a crack at OASC???

JNo
5th Apr 2002, 11:32
6-8 weeks

Funkie
5th Apr 2002, 16:47
JNo,

Good luck, I'm due to attend in a few weeks. Let mw know how you get on.

How did you do with your beep test, rumour has it that 10.6 is excellent. I think 17 will be a new category!

sps,

After my filter interview, I heard 4wks later of my date.

Good luck again to you both.

Regards,

Fra:D

Pub User
6th Apr 2002, 02:22
JNO

You don't say what branch you're after, I'll assume from the forum that it's pilot.

The medical is a pass/fail thing, which is normally a 'rubber stamp' unless you've got some inherent problem - colour blindness, heart murmour etc.

The fitness test has a 'points' element, once you're over the pass/fail mark, which you are. That said, a new World record will not guarantee anything, just aim to pass comfortably.

The interview is quite important. If you blow it, then you will not be invited to stay for the real test, which is the 'part 2'. The group and individual exercises are the real 'make or break' ones, and are very difficult to prepare for. Show common sense and initiative, and you'll be alright.

JNo
6th Apr 2002, 17:52
Yep my names down for a pilots job!

As for the bleep test, I don't know about new world record, I played (OK was only in the squad) some international hockey. We had a to do the bleep test as part of the fitness tests and 14 was the pass mark. I have seen someone get past 18 on it before - but he was built like a whippet.

barotraumatized
9th Apr 2002, 19:49
14 the pass mark? christ. I've seen some PTI's sttruggle to get that on the Cranditz bleep test (don't know if that really is actually testament to how hard it is!!! ) level 8.8 is the pass requirement. If you get past 13, you're on a blinder. Cranners told me after 5 days. (it was a yes before you ask you cheeky ba*****s). Give my regards to your pal at durham. if its who i think it is, a good pal from the past. (have you seen his entry in that UAS leaflet. cheese)

JNo
11th Apr 2002, 08:10
Well all done now, made it through to part two (14 people were 'axed' after part one) and I gave a fair account of myself, did as well as I suppose I could of expected. Med was fine as was the interview, aptitude tests went really well (apparently I got a nearly perfect mark for Pilot, Nav, Air Loadmaster and Air Eng) so fingers crossed.

Bleep test - 13 not great but I suppose after a ten hour day I can't be too sour. Funneist part was during my med review, quack realised I was almost overweight for my height - takes one look at me and writes "** Large Frame" down on my med forms!

robspottydog
11th Apr 2002, 08:20
Well done JNo

Hopefully you will hear in 4 - 5 weeks, sounds good though.

Good luck!:cool:

Aynayda Pizaqvick
11th Apr 2002, 09:33
Sorry Guys but I'm not much help when it comes to time scales - foreign entry candidate so didnt exactly follow the norm!
I was on the late Feb selection board and am being lined up for the June 2nd intake. Still waiting for security clearance and visa etc, but fingers crossed for june IOT 198! I would love to hear from anyone else who's starting in June, so just drop me a line by email... [email protected]
As for the beep test, just run till you drop! (I hear 10.6 is a good number though)

Haera Ra

JNo
15th Apr 2002, 08:49
Well guys thought I'd let you know that I recieved a letter this morning, it seems there's been a monumental cock-up in procedures at Cranwell as they've asked me to start in August - IOT 199! Do they know what they're letting themselves in for I wonder??

Probably not!