PDA

View Full Version : A320 line training or an African bush pilot position

Where2
11th Jul 2012, 04:37
Hi everyone, I am a CFII and I got type rated on the A320 in 2010 because I had a job offer in the middle east. Lucky me, after I was done the company shut down because of all the Drama in the middle east. And now I am stuck with more loans:ugh:. I have 500h and I am looking for line training or a bush pilot position to build my hours. I only have my CFII and I can't afford to get my CFI. And with the CFII i am flying about 15 hours a month. So by the time I have 1500 hours I will be aligable to retire at 65.

I was wondering if anyone can provide any pointer :O

RedBullGaveMeWings
11th Jul 2012, 09:45
You're American? Regional carriers are still a way to go. Try also to find another FBO where you can teach.
Why did you get your CFII before a normal CFI? With all due honesty, it has no sense to me. But I am European and I know that requirements in FAA-land are different than the ones in EASA-land, but I've never seen a buddy start instructing from Instrumental procedures.

Good luck.

eaglesnest1972
11th Jul 2012, 10:47
Hi mate,

nowadays companies look for type + time on type...
That means that if you get your infamous 500 hrs on the bus + your 500 you get somewhere around 1000 TT.
I'd go for line training, so you don't waste your well earned money spent in the type rating.
I know its weird, but thats the freaking market and its not going to change anytime soon.
Fastjet is going to enter the african market soon as first real african LCC so they will need pilots. Airbus has something like 1000 acft to deliver in the next years. Airbus is the acft of choice for many many carriers and in healthy markets that means orders
If i was you i would hang tight on the bus, do the line training, get any job anywhere and build up hours on type.

Just my 2 cents and best of luck!

Where2
11th Jul 2012, 22:41
Thanks for the respond....It was a 30 day course and at the end of it u take the CFII first then CFI by the time I paid for the CFII check ride I was broke

172_driver
18th Jul 2012, 11:21
nowadays companies look for type + time on type...

Europe.. maybe.
US regionals.. no.

SAS-A321
22nd Jul 2012, 17:57
Well, if you are broke you will not be able to afford line training.
You are only 27... I would go and have a blast in Africa and maybe you will get connections for Fastjet.

eaglesnest1972
26th Jul 2012, 08:46
In the US you need a green piece of paper to fly...

RedBullGaveMeWings
26th Jul 2012, 09:27
In October you can all sign up at the Green Card lottery, which is free of charge.

Clintonb
26th Jul 2012, 17:05
all i can say is dont bother with africa especially the southern african countries you need to be a national of those countries to get hired their governments are making it hard for companies to get working visas for non nationals.