PDA

View Full Version : Quality Baggage Handling ...!

PAXboy
10th Jul 2012, 19:53
I looked for an old thread on this venerable topic, that would be worth recycling but could not find one (that was open) so here we are.

Unfortuantely, no location is given for this performance but it is a classic. As I have said before, all service industries should assume that they are being filmed and/or recorded at all times. Not nice but plenty of PR to be gained by handling it right. Obviously, in this case, we don't know what happened later.

The world's worst baggage handler? - worryingly funny - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=VOP9fwnE4yY&NR=1)

PAXboy
9th Jun 2015, 21:35
So as to resue an old thread, this is a gem of behind the scenes - reminds everyone to be careful not to pack anything breakable ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzIW71LwJ4

On the Tube page, there are some more amusing links to high quality baggage handling.

mixture
9th Jun 2015, 21:55
PAXboy,

To be honest, on all the travelling I've done over many continents, I've never had lost or damaged bags or contents. I guess that's because I use sturdy bags and I pack properly. The mind boggles at some of the flimsy stuff you see on the conveyors !

You can back fragile stuff in luggage, you just have to take appropriate precautions. How else do you think pallets and parcels survive around the world ?

But ......

None of your videos beat a recent ex-LHR BA flight I was on in recent times.

Everything was running like clockwork, the SLF were on-time, so went through the motions of lock & push about 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

Aircraft pushed back from stand, 90 degrees, facing in the right direction, one engine up, pin out and wave goodbye from the ground ... the usual story.

Observe one member of ground staff rush towards the phone at the stand and mutter a few things in.

Soon enough we find out why. The buggers had loaded the wrong bins, not a security risk mind you, the bins they loaded were 110% empty, containing nothing but air.

I guess they should at least be praised for having sufficient braincells to join the dots before the aircraft proceeded down the apron. :cool:

PAXboy
10th Jun 2015, 00:40
Good story mixture! The flight deck might have been surprised at the acceleration rate - not knowing how much air they had on board but their weight and balance might have been just a tad out ...

I have posted these links for amusement. I've had cases broken, mostly, not broken. But I reamin 'amused' that the carriers have not sorted these costly PR videos.

pax britanica
12th Jun 2015, 19:21
Not anyones fault but an example of how everything can go tango uniform when the weather decides to show us who is boss.
Tegel to LHR end of March-extremely violent winds across Europe.

Inbound flight arrives - taxis to stand
Jetty manouvered out towards door 1L
Big gust hits just as ramp worker unlocks doors at end of jetty
Doors torn from frame hurtle back up the jetty shattering the doors at the top/gate end of the jetty.
No way for pax to deplane except via rear door that requires busses which are not around
Busses eventually found and deplaning commences-we wait under cover but on windswept ramp for bus.
While this is going on another Airbus, ours was a BA 321 arrives - another huge gust hits just as they try and open baggage hold. Door flies upwards knocking down loader and damaging the hinges .
Conference under our 321 lots of head shaking- they cannot safely open hold doors on our aircraft so cannot unload luggage for arriving pax which means they cannot load our bags.
We arrive at LHR at 0045 am with no hold bags-pax of inbound flight to Berlin have had their bags flown back to LHR.

Nightmare and no ones fault at all . just reminding us that as well as airlines work these days too much wind spoils all the plans

PB

Lantern10
12th Jun 2015, 23:55
Poor baggage handling can be used to your advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo