PDA

View Full Version : What do you think

StephenRED
3rd Apr 2002, 08:40
Hi,i`ve just got my PPL and want to become a commercial pilot some day,but i`m 19 at the moment so i have time.

I`ve recently decided to save up for a car..until my friend pointed out little flying machines called microlights..and I am thinking of getting one.

My idea is,and question to you,do they really count that much towards building up hours??..in my mind yes because its a flying machine and your in command,thus you log the time..but..I kinda think in the back of my mind its too good to be true..why aren`t others doing it?? its an el cheapo way of doing it..an airline in the future may frown at 400 hours in a microlight..or would they????..I wouldn`t just buy it for hour building..these things are fun!,but its a consideration...

any comments would be appreciated.

Stephen.

FlyingForFun
3rd Apr 2002, 08:57
I can't remember the exact rules, I'm sure someone else on here will tell you the details, but I think you can count a limited number of microlight hours towards your aeroplane flying, but only if it's a 3-axis microlight (which most aren't) or something like that.

However.....

If you want cheap flying in something small and fun, there are plenty of single-seater aeroplanes out there. Many of these are operated by groups. Since they're not usually used for long distances, having 12 or more in a group rarely causes problems, and so shares often go for less than £1000. Costs would typically be around £10/month and £10/hour. Go down to your local airfield (make sure it's a "real" G.A. field, not a Cabair-style commercial-training field) and check out the For Sale noticeboard, or check out one of the general aviation magazines.

(Only problem might be that many groups require around 50-100 hours of tail-wheel time - being single-seater, you can't get checked out by an instructor, so insurance companies need to find other ways of making sure you'll be safe.)

FFF
------------