PDA

View Full Version : CJ/MUSTANG rating commonality

winkwink
10th Jul 2012, 12:52
I've just read in June's AOPA mag that the CJ rating also covers the Mustang. This is news to me. However, I can see a reason for such a commonality.

Anyone know if this is true or has the writer erred?

This is solely in reference to FAA ratings.

nopax
10th Jul 2012, 22:57
I'm not sure of the date of this article (http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2011/110926-cessna-offers-citation-m2-jet.html), but if it's the one you are talking about, then the M2 is the same type rating as the CJ family (CE-525), however the Mustang is a separate type rating (CE-510). As the article states, Cessna are not using the name Mustang anymore.

winkwink
11th Jul 2012, 23:50
You know, that would make sense. The article appears in the June twenty twelve edition of AOPA mag in the Turbine Pilot section. I quote

"Cessna's CE-525 rating covers every model in the CJ series, as well as the Citation Mustang."

I think the author has confused the M2 with the Mustang.

Thanks, nopax.

paulsalem
12th Jul 2012, 00:28
Here (http://registry.faa.gov/TypeRatings/) is the official list of FAA type ratings.

winkwink
12th Jul 2012, 18:01
Thanks a lot, Paul. It seemed far too good to be true.....

Trim Stab
13th Jul 2012, 06:33
Personally, I think the C510 should be on the same TR as the C525, just with some differences training.

It is ironic that with a C525 rating I can fly CJ1-4 (with all their varying avionics fits and performances), and the M2 (with Garmin 3000) yet I have to pay $20000+ to a TRTO in order to "learn" how to fly what is effectively a simplified and slower CJ with G1000.

Anybody with C525 experience, some G1000 experience and a few hours reading the manual could get in a C510 and operate it to the same degree of competence that they could operate a C525. Certainly it is not necessary to spend two weeks in a TRTO to learn to operate an aircraft that is hardly any more complicated or difficult than (say) a DA42. Vref on the mustang is only 89 knots at typical landing weights!

Phenom 300
13th Jul 2012, 15:01
Since this is my first post I would like to say "Hi" to the entire pprune community. Thanks a lot for keeping me up-to-date about the world out there while I was only reading! As I'm German, I've been mainly hanging around pilots.de for the past 12 years or so, actually using my keyboard once in a while. :)

What comes to my mind concerning the additional type rating for the C510 is the different cross section. It's really not a shortened or stretched CJ.

Also it must have been about avionics issues. The Citation Mustang was announced 2002 at NBAA in Orlando. The G1000 was introduced July 2003. Although I seriously doubt that these two companies from Kansas didn't have the occasional chat with each other, maybe Cessna didn't know exactly what they would end up with. To them Garmin's stuff back then must have looked like a completely different kind of animal.

In addition to that, Cessna probably wanted to protect the market for their existing CJs. When an owner/operator steps up to a bigger CJ2+, Cessna throws in two TRs for the new bird anyways.

In the views of most commercial operators the Mustang was never a jet to impress their customers with, especially because of the "bucket". Spending additional money on TRs, and not being able to hire freelance pilots with an existing C525 TR, would be enough reason for most commercial CJ operators to stay away from Mustangs forever.

As you can tell by my name, I like Phenoms! ;)

Regardless of TRs and DTs, do you think mixed-fleet-flying of a Phenom 100 + 300 would be less or more challenging to a pilot than switching back and forth from a CJ1 (or the new M2) to a CJ4?

winkwink
15th Jul 2012, 19:02
Thanks, Phenom. That's a grand aeroplane you are on. My boss several years back had a CJ2, and was due to get a 300 in 2013. I was really looking forward to it - sadly he didn't need full time crew after 2010 so I am no longer flying for him. really nice fellow and family.

I have to agree with Trim Stab. The difference between the classic CJ and the CJ4 is so great compared with, say, the CJ1 and the Mustang. It would have been great if the Mustang had been rolled under the CJ with differences training.

Anyone know of any Citation FAA examiners who come to the UK from time to time? Specifically for the CJ and/or Mustang.

Thanks.