PDA

View Full Version : Avast (free) upgrade/Zone Alarm(free)

BOAC
10th Jul 2012, 12:36
No 1 son (Win7) accepted the Avast prog update and then 'lost' internet connectivity, eventually tracking it down to ZA which he had to uninstall. Anyone else had this? There are other reports on the internet.

green granite
10th Jul 2012, 12:48
Avast and Zonealarm have never got on very well, I usually disable ZA if I'm updating the Avast program (as opposed to definitions) and the re-enable it afterwards, I'm running the latest version of both with no compatibility problems.

Mike-Bracknell
10th Jul 2012, 13:24
:) I know nuzzink. ;)

BOAC
10th Jul 2012, 13:30
Thanks, gg - can you confirm the Avast version? This update is about 3 days old.

A'hm keepin' ma powder dry':(

green granite
10th Jul 2012, 14:15
Avast program is V7.0.1456

ZoneAlarm is V10.2.064.000

BOAC
10th Jul 2012, 14:58
Ta - that is newer than mine.

Milo Minderbinder
10th Jul 2012, 15:23
Avast have been pushing out a major update in the last couple of weeks - it usually anoounces that its done it with a banner screen on reboot
I've noticed though that on some older machines with limited resources the banner screen faiils to load and stops windows booting
If that happens, its a trip to safe mode and use Autoruns to disable unwanted crud.

As to ZoneAlarm, it really offers little extra to anyone with a fully patched windows system with the windows firewall enabled

green granite
10th Jul 2012, 16:00
As to ZoneAlarm, it really offers little extra to anyone with a fully patched windows system with the windows firewall enabled

I just like to be able to easily control which programs phone home. :ok:

BOAC
28th Jul 2012, 13:23
I was going to tell you all that I had plucked up courage with an updated ZA (free) to install the updated Avast and that all was well.................except around 10% of my desktop icons are blitzed. I have restored all bar one (I had to re-create shortcuts and replace for all) BUT a pdf file on my desktop stubbornly resists an icon change from 'default blank' to Adobe Reader. File opens in Reader ok. I've been through Cp/Folder Options, selected the correct icon but the pesky thing will not take it. Any ideas? Registry?

green granite
28th Jul 2012, 14:05
I take it you've tried this?

File, Folder or Shortcut Icons:
1. Right click on the item to change and select properties
2. Click on the shortcut tab and click the "Change Icon..." button
3. Select or navigate to your icon of choice and hit enter

BOAC
28th Jul 2012, 14:43
Cp/Folder Options, selected the correct icon but the pesky thing will not take it. - the same.

Bushfiva
28th Jul 2012, 14:49
Delete the icon cache at C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db. It's a hidden file.

BOAC
28th Jul 2012, 16:11
Aha! I recall that from days of yore - problem is I don't have it Could be a clue! It is there (somewhat aged) in Admin and All Users. Even the desktop color properties trick has not produced it.

I thought it was 'created' on boot if missing?

Milo Minderbinder
28th Jul 2012, 17:13
Its a hidden file
see How To Rebuild Icon Cache In Windows 7 To Repair Icons (http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-rebuild-icon-cache-in-windows-7-to-repair-icons/)

However I've had a couple of machines where the Adobe icon vanished like this - I got the impression there was some kind of file corruption as they icon only came back after I'd removed and reinstalled the Adobe Reader
trying to point the shortcut at the correct icon didn't work - couldn't "pick up" the icon from any of the files in the Adobe folder - not even from the exe or dll files

BOAC
28th Jul 2012, 17:26
Milo - yes, that is how it is. (It is XP btw). TweakUi 'restored' the missing iconcache file, but Adobe is still playing hard to get. I'll try the reinstall of Reader.

I think this all stems from the Fandango with the drive cloning - I have just had to re-instate sr.inf to get sys restore back too! Happy days.:ugh:

BOAC
28th Jul 2012, 18:45
Great 'nod' Milo - re-install fixed it. Thanks.