PDA

View Full Version : MVA Bassair Tamair History??

TMACA
10th Jul 2012, 12:18
G'day

I asked this question in the historic section Nov last year and had noreplies. Does any one know the history of Murray Valley Airlines, Tamair ( esp.their Tasmanian involvement) and an airline from Melb called Bassair.

Thanks

The Museum of AustralianCommercial Aviation

LeadSled
10th Jul 2012, 16:00
TMACA,
Murray Valley Airways became Southern, became part of Qantaslink.
I am not aware that Tamair, from Tamworth, NSW ( the airline, there have been several organisations called Tamair) had any links with in Tasmania.
BassAir is a flying school at Bankstown and Cessnock.
Google is your friend.
Tootle pip!!

tail wheel
10th Jul 2012, 19:52
Leadie. When Paul Brederick owned Tamair I seem to recall he expanded into Tasmania, possibly with Metros.

TMACA. Why not contact Paul and ask about Tamair? I don't have his current contact but he won't be difficult to locate. I don't recall any corporate conection between Murray Valley Airlines, Tamair and Bassair.

I seem to recall an earlier Tamair owned by John Roworth that became Eastern Airlines, part of QLink.

Horatio Leafblower
10th Jul 2012, 23:07
Leadie

You don't think an airline crossing the Bass Strait might call itself Bassair?

...not to be confused with Hunter Valley Aviation Pty Ltd t/as Basair Aviation College.

There are many smaller operators of times past who don't appear on the interweb thingy.

witwiw
11th Jul 2012, 00:03
Bassair was started in the late '69 or early '70 by Stan Smith, a farmer and butcher on King Island. Initially operated a C172, a C210, then a C336 (ex-STOL, PNG), C310 and Beech Twin Bonanzas (ex-Connellans, ASP). Had an ex-NTMS Dove for a while which proved to be a huge financial drain.

Main operation was charter for the KI locals but they also did runs to YMMB to deliver crays to the Melbourne market as well as abalone destined for Asian markets. Return trips took fresh fruit and veges back to YMKI - shipping was not a real option for fresh produce.

Bassair ran to the late 70's or early 80's to the best of my recollection.

hiwaytohell
11th Jul 2012, 07:09
For MVA a good start would be Tony Mathews [email protected] or 03 5025 7181

And forTamair Paul Bredereck [email protected] or 0418 667147

The people I knew that could help re Bassair are long gone.

aroa
11th Jul 2012, 08:08
Worked with them in '71/72 when they had a C182 TMG with survey camera installed.
Principal then was Jimmy Packer, ex RAAF, who I believe started,post War with others, Tamair with Fairchild F24 with radials and other types.

He had some interesting stories to tell of flying transport Hudsons from Townsville to New Guinea, and the fact that the stalky u/c of the F24 wasnt the best in rough ground forced landings.!
Flying and working with Jim was a pleasure... and educational. A few things he taught me then have helped keep my a$re intact thus far.:ok:
A gentleman of the old school. Up in the wild blue by now I guess.

At that time they had a flying school C150, and chtr C 206 for back country town paper runs,etc, and a twin commanche.
I departed for warmer northern climes just after J Roworth became Manager and was into expansion into bigger things.

Dog One
11th Jul 2012, 11:16
Tamair in the late eighties went from a charter operator to RPT between Tamworth and Sydney utilising Metro 111 aircraft, running up to 7 flights a day. Around 1995, Tamair bought into Airlines of Tasmania and took over their routes using one Metro and some Navajos. AOT retained the RFDS contract using two Piper Mojave aircraft. For a while, Brederick used Tamair's AOC, but eventually AOT took the Metro onto its AOC. Tamair was trading very well out of Tamworth and was strongly supported by the locals. Unfortunately, the Metro night training accident, killing two trainees out of the three crew lost Tamair the local trade, picked up by Eastern. With the badly run AOT losing large amounts,it drained Tamair to its final extinction even after CASA had shut down AOT on bad management and safety concerns.

TMACA
21st Jul 2012, 08:09
G'day

Thanks for the information, that has given me heaps to go on with.

I have in the collection a Bassair Airlines Photo of their Embraer EMB-110Bandeirante VH-KIQ. Delivered to Bassair 12th October 1979. Acquired by Air TasmaniaApril 1980.

I will follow up on MVA and Tamair and try to put together a better history than the ones I have online at this time.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Museum of AustralianCommercial Aviation

PS
Sorry about the wrong post location.

tail wheel
21st Jul 2012, 08:40
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/5/3/0461355.jpg

VH-KIQ with titled "North West Airlines"?

TMACA
21st Jul 2012, 09:11
Here is the pic of the photo in our collection

http://www.aviationcollection.org/Bassair/Artifacts/Photo/bassair.jpg

CharlieLimaX-Ray
21st Jul 2012, 09:15
KIQ was an ex Air Tasmania Bandeirante, one of three that they leased in the early 1980's.

They were passengers by day and freight by night, including one operating Hobart-Launceston -Tullamarine -Dubbo- Brisvegas four nights a week.

Weren't North West Airlines the first to strt the bank runs out of Essendon in 1980?

judge.oversteer
21st Jul 2012, 10:00
Aroa.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim Packer did indeed found and own the original Tamair in the late 1950's. A true gentleman. Sadly lost his son in an aircraft accident, about 1967.
Tamair, in the 60's, operated mainly C182's, and a lot of budding airline pilots found their first job there. QF, CX, TAA and AN etc.

The radials, CAC Ceres, and the Fletchers, were owned and operated by AirFarm Associates, crop dusting company.
This was the domain of Basil Brown, and nothing to do with Tamair.

Both excellent companies, and together with East West Airlines, were synonymous with aviation in Tamworth and New England.

Cheers.
JO.

PS. The Twin Commanche was owned by Keith Singh of the Dahl Sing Construction Co. C150's and Victa 115's by Tamworth Aero Club.

Horatio Leafblower
21st Jul 2012, 10:16
My old man did a couple of years of farm work in the New England region (Abroi, near Ebor) as a yoof.

Amongst his photos are a few shots of a Bristol freighter which he told me was being used for super spreading, the other super work being done in Tigers.

There is a photo of a Tiger with "Pay & Williamson" on the side :ok:

judge.oversteer
21st Jul 2012, 11:33
HL.

I think they used to use Bristol Frightners for spreading in NZ too.

JO.