PDA

View Full Version : Did BEA have Stewards?

Jackbr
10th Jul 2012, 08:28
Did BEA have Stewards like BOAC?

Or was it an all female cabin crew?

GANNET FAN
10th Jul 2012, 09:11
Travelling to Malta from Northolt in a BEA Viking aged 9, I annoyed the hell out of a steward asking, are we there yet!!

Georgeablelovehowindia
10th Jul 2012, 09:16
Yes, BEA had stewards. In fact, on the Highlands and Islands DC-3s (Pionairs) the single cabin crew member was male, but was officially known as a flight clerk. I remember the first BEA Viscount to visit Aberdeen, and the door opening to reveal ... coo, a real, live stewardess!
:)

Jackbr
10th Jul 2012, 09:18
On the Trident fleet, was there a BOAC-style arrangement with a half/half ratio of Stewards to Stewardesses?

Or did the male Cabin Crew serve as a Purser?

xtypeman
10th Jul 2012, 10:42
A good friend of mine was a BEA steward. He had been at sea with the RFA whilst on leave walked into BEA and got a job. He went onto BA and BCal.

John Farley
10th Jul 2012, 17:45
Going to Malta around 1966 in a BEA Trident 3B I needed the loo in the cruise and was just squeezing past the Steward (face to face) because he had his trolley in the aisle when there was the mother and father of all bangs as we were hit by lightning. The expression of sheer terror on his face was something to behold from only a few inches away. As it happened I had been hit by lightning the day before in a Meteor doing thunderstorm penetration trials for RAE Bedford (and we know how currency helps in aviation) so I just gave him a smile and said in his port ear "Don't worry mate it's only lightning". The look of relief and gratitude that followed suggested to me that I could have been on a promise in Malta if I had so wished.

BEagle
10th Jul 2012, 19:50
The look of relief and gratitude that followed suggested to me that I could have been on a promise in Malta if I had so wished.

Particularly if you'd told him you'd been practising penetration the previous day...:ooh:??

No doubt you preferred the 'Strait' delights of Malta in those days...:oh:

Noyade
10th Jul 2012, 20:16
Fast Forward - 'Airline' skit. Early 90's Australian comedy. - YouTube