PDA

View Full Version : Tourist flights in Namibia

marcosleo
9th Jul 2012, 20:06
Hi ladies and gents.
I'll be flying end of july to Namibia for vacation with my family and would like to try a tourist flight out of Swakopmund.
Any suggestion about the company to choose?
I'll take with me my pilot licence but (due to lack of time) I'll prefer to rent a plane with a local safety pilot.
Thank you ML

p.s. great job the 210 pilot :D

flyinglion29
10th Jul 2012, 08:51
Bataleur are the only one that are gonna let you fly. Because it is a school.

You will find them on internet.

Have fun

cavortingcheetah
10th Jul 2012, 11:36
You might have to take a flight instructor and call the detail a practice dual cross country. Some times there's a fine line between a scenic flip and a charter flight which might require the operator to have a charter licence.

ct2003
10th Jul 2012, 11:47
No one is gonna let you fly there as you need to validate or convert your licence to fly a local registered a/c. I don't assume to find any with JAR country registrations which your licence is good for. Such validation, assuming Namibia has almost same requirements as SA, does not pay of for just one or a few flights.

172driver
10th Jul 2012, 13:47
FWIW, I hold a Namibian license (now expired) based on my JAR one. While not too onerous, the validation is not worth the hassle and money for a couple of local sightseeing flights.

If, however, you intend to embark on a longer flying 'safari', then it's definitely worth it. I've flown in quite a few parts of the world, but nothing matches flying in Nam :ok:

propcowboy
10th Jul 2012, 14:51
Just get in Contact with Bataleur and they'll surely help you with this. But validation you surely must

marcosleo
12th Jul 2012, 10:02
Thanks a lot to everibody.
Considering short time guess I will choose a scenic flight with one of the companies over there.

Grazie ML :ok: