PDA

View Full Version : QF Standards....

Cart_tart
3rd Apr 2002, 01:44
Does anyone else think QF standards have dropped? I put forward my view in the virgin blue topic (which has since disappeared) and had my head bitten off for merely expressing my view. :eek: Now I am curious to see whether anyone else thinks the same?.....:)

ditzyboy
3rd Apr 2002, 06:29
Yes they have...... And I am a QF FA!

cabinboy
3rd Apr 2002, 06:53
ditzyboy,

perhaps you should rethink your comments re: stating you are a qantas flight attendant ? As you have previously stated you were an IMPULSE airlines employee which only just recently was made fully owned by qf thus making you a subsidiary flight attendant to qantas mainline - i.e - qantaslink. Can you honestly say that in the 10 months that you have been wearing the qf regional uniform (remembering that qf took over impulse in may last year) that you have notest a drop in service ?

i'm intrigued ! perhaps those with a little more "service" time working for qf mainline are more qualified to comment ?

comments made in the spirit of this forum

Regards
Cabinboy

DOME
3rd Apr 2002, 07:14
There have been a couple of articles over the last month in the Canberra Times, written by locals about recent international travel on QF. Unfortunately no longer on the CT web site.

did find one article:

Dowdy and poorly equipped, Qantas is still stuck in the '70s
By FRANK O'SHEA

What is happening to Qantas? Those who have to travel steerage on the Sydney-London round trip will not be surprised at the national airline's absence from the top 10 in the recent Skytrax Research results (CT, March 18). We hear that things are tight in the airline industry, but there is little evidence of that in the full Qantas planes that fly the kangaroo route every day.

Qantas is still stuck in the '70s. Their 747s are dowdy and poorly fitted out.

There has been a minor improvement to the headrests but, apart from that, nothing has changed in years. Films are still projected on a central screen long after other carriers have put individual monitors on the backs of seats. My most recent flight to London was on a plane which had been painted in the most hideous combination of red and black with what appear to be Aboriginal motifs. No doubt Qantas will claim that this promotes the kind of reconciliation which John Howard refuses to endorse and the kind of pride which most Australians refuse to be bullied into feeling.

Laudably, perhaps, the work was carried out by indigenous artists who needed the work, but for those inside the cigar the money might have been better used to provide basic comfort. There was a time when passengers were given a menu on long-haul flights and offered a drink before dinner. The menu disappeared long ago and now they give you the pre-dinner drink and the wine and the coffee and the meal all in one big hit. Perhaps it saves the flight attendants having to do too much walking.

The meals themselves are terrible, and while that may be nothing new, dinner on the Sydney-Bangkok leg came without dessert.

Surely they could have afforded a few pieces of Aussie fruit to fight the aftertaste of what was supposed to be lamb but was actually a poor excuse for Irish stew.

I know Qantas would like us all to travel business class, but as it is they must be making a fortune on London flights which are always full and which most Australians choose as a matter of patriotic choice and impeccable safety record. Here's a suggestion, Qantas. Why not add $30 or $50 to the price of a Sydney-London return and use the extra revenue to do something about your grotty planes other than a token nod to Aboriginal culture.

The Qantas Club too is a disgrace. People pay $250 a year for the kind of facilities that would barely pass muster in a staff canteen. The club at Sydney international terminal is tired and cheap. The food is little better; it has not changed in the six years since I joined. And they provide plastic knives and forks. Come on, Qantas. You can do better. Here's another suggestion. Add a few bucks to the membership fee and provide the kind of knives and forks that you can get at the Y or the Matt Talbot.

Is it possible that these long-haul flights, sardine-filled with holiday-makers and young people, are subsidising the price war at home to the benefit of business people, politicians and public servants?

Is it any wonder that Qantas do not appear in the list of the world's best airlines. To add insult to the whole thing, the top airlines are able to offer fares to London which are cheaper than those sold by Qantas.

One final point. Am I being paranoid or have I noticed in the past few years a tendency for big overseas airports to put Qantas planes in the furthest and most inaccessible bays.

It seems to me too that Qantas gets the short straw behind the glamour airlines in terms of takeoff and landing queues. Perhaps Heathrow and Bangkok and Singapore and their like realise that Qantas is a rundown airline without much respect for itself or its passengers.

So why should they respect it?

Cart_tart
3rd Apr 2002, 07:22
I too work for QFlink and the standards have definitely dropped.
I don't think it's fair to say that just because we're not on mainline that we haven't seen the drop in standards.
All directives re cabin service come from Qantaslink who are directed by Qantas themselves.
Mainline isn't any different service wise than QFlink are. My parents recently travelled over east on Mainline and then on a QF regional and got the same service both sectors. What they received catering wise is exactly the same as the catering we receive. They commented to me on how bad it was and how now they could see what I had meant when I said how gross it is!
I don't think "service" time actually counts as to whether we have actually seen the drop because in the 6 months since AN collapsed I have seen a rapid decline.
Just because I think the standards of inflight service have dropped, doesn't mean I don't like my job or think that QF is a bad airline. Safety record is still one of the best and perks for the employees are way up there (not that I get any apart from the credit union!!). But for them to continue to charge passengers the fares they have been charging they need to lift their game a little.
I saw a press release where they are going to give better food and bigger servings to satisfy "hungry customers". It mentioned that it was due to the massive number of complaints from pax. I haven't seen the new catering yet but lets hope it's a lot better!! ;)

ditzyboy
3rd Apr 2002, 22:35
Cabin Boy

Settle down.... I merely used the term Qantas as a way of signifying the service that I offer on board. It is all Qantas food and amentities (or lack thereof).

Impulse may have offered a low fare network but the service on board was at least classy. The boxes we now offer pax have all the class of a soup kitchen. No pillows, blankets, magazines, newspapers etc.... was the kind of thing I was getting at. Glad to see that the blankets have made a come back.

So before passing judgements, take a step back and look at the point I was trying to make.... Generally, QF standards have dropped. Even since we started flying under the QantasLink banner things have gotten worse.

Please also note I said QF Standards and not QF Cabin Crew... There is a difference.

Oh and by the way, I am fully aware that I work for Impulse and not Mainline... I am made aware of this every day, from the attitude that we face in the terminal everyday from SOME QF FAs and even when they pax on our flights! I know I am not Short Haul as I sit in Y when I positon for duty (usually in last row between two stinky overweight men - even on VQ aircraft!) and the fact I do not have staff travel. It is attitude from people such as yourself that brings it home that I am not Mainline and also makes me glad I am not.

QF have given me an employment security and conditions I did not have when we flew under the Impulse banner and for that I am grateful. All I was saying is that standards, in terms of product, have dropped. And they have - end of story. If you think anything less... Well my friend you are simply deluded. Hypoxic perhaps :-)

Thanks mate. Email me if you have issues. I was just stating a point.

G :-)

cabinboy
4th Apr 2002, 01:31
Ditzyboy,

Settle Pettle

As I said " comments were made in the spirit of the forum" therefore reflecting my opinions were not mean't to cause a fight amongst us. After being a member of this forum since 1998 and a regular we are used to seeing healthy debate on this website. My comment to you may have been a bit harsh and I apologise however I have seen comments from yourself calling QF pax on HTI flights " horrible" and calling some pax " shazza and dazza" types etc etc which as you can imagine would easily lead me to believe you are perhaps bitter with QF and would take any chance to have a stab at QF. I must be wrong ?

If you believe that QF standards have dropped in your 10 months with QF as a flight attendant then please enlighten us as to what you think has dropped amongst the standards.

I did not open the debate regarding mainline v's subidiary flight attendant attitudes, please don't use me as a punching bag for yours thoughts about that because I am not aware of such attitudes and belive it is irrelevant to the topic.

Now....back to the topic........if you belive QF standards have dropped ditzyboy...then tell us which ones......deluded people like myself are waiting to hear your thoughts :)

Cabinboy

skypryncess
4th Apr 2002, 01:48
easy boy's!!! As a mere regional Flight Attendant I would definately say that the standard of product at QF pardon, qantas link has dropped markedly in the last 3 months. I am especailly upset about losing all product aimed at children: kids meals and activity packs. I have stated my thoughts in previous threds. For the record cart tart, right on.

ditzyboy
4th Apr 2002, 01:55
Oh my oh my....

Was just saying that in the 10 months of my Link existance standards have dropped. I have outlined some of the changes I have witnessed in an email to yourself. It would be wrong of me to disclose some of the changes at QF/QFLink on a PUBLIC forum. They are proceedural changes and not for open discussion.

Please check ya email.

I nice way to put it would be a 37min MEL-LST sector where we used to serve a hot OR cold dinner with a bar service and tea or coffee has turned into a box with two bikkies and a coffee cup if you are lucky!

I did not intend to start a Mainline/Link brawl.... We are all lovely people. My point there was to just defend your remarks about me saying I was as FA for QF...

Thank you. *little white flag*

cabinboy
4th Apr 2002, 02:12
Thanks for the email ditzyboy, pls go and check yours.

Now that I have heard your reasons I accept your comments :)

Claws withdrawn !! haha

CB

jackiechan
4th Apr 2002, 02:18
totally agree ditzy...if anyone believes that the standards haven't dropped then u musnt have been flying over the last year!
Even CEO Geoff Dixon admitted at a meeting recently, they realised they made a mistake cutting back catering so severely and will be rectifying the situation shortly.

jayne
4th Apr 2002, 03:35
I totally agree that qantas standards have dropped. The food is stale and a sandwich for dinner! Whats that! Pillows and blankets are being phased out and so are kids packs. No magazines anymore except the qantas mag. there taking it all away. Very sad. They have spoilt the public for so long and now they take it all away. Of course people are going to be annoyed. Must admit there business class is very good. what do you think?

Cart_tart
4th Apr 2002, 11:07
I agree with you re J class Jayne.
They have cut back but not so much that it makes such a difference - things like the table cloths have gone - who really cared about them anyway?!
Meals are still excellent in J and I constantly have comments that it is the best airline food they have ever had. We all love it when there are left overs so we can have them for dinner instead of our yuckko crew meals!!
Re Ditzy's "shazza's and dazza's" hahahaha. It's funny how on certain runs you get certain types. Not mentioning any particular destinations - we have a few where they are just AWFUL - completely rude, no manners, no respect and are total oooohh words can't describe them. Have had a few of the "oi get me a beer" or back handed across the behind to get our attention. :mad: NIIICEEE. Yet on other runs pax are brilliant and are so lovely and appreciative of what you do for them it's a pleasure to bend over backwards. You'll definitely start to notice the differences between the destinations in your travels now Cabinboy!! :D

Hugh Jarse
5th Apr 2002, 05:34
Cart_tart,
are you asking safety standards or service standards?

All I'll say is my eyes were WELL opened the last time I did EP's over at the Evil Empire.....:eek:

Iguanahead
5th Apr 2002, 11:14
Hugh_Jarse,

In the words of that red haired lady up North - please explain:confused:

Cart_tart
6th Apr 2002, 16:34
service standards H.
can't comment on the EP's cause I'm not directly employed by them. Our EP's are alright - apart from the fact that we don't have a sim and it's all make believe!!!:)

flyaustralia
6th Apr 2002, 17:53
As a member of Qantas FFP and many other FFPs worldwide, I think that Qantas Airways' onboard service were awful since the first time I flew with QF a few years ago, many of its carbin crews were rude, helpless to their passengers.

However, within a few months, I discovered that QF ground service hardly improved a little bit!

Wirraway
7th Apr 2002, 11:59
Check out the 2 threads on airliners net:

1) Is Qantas trying to scare off customers
http://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/786358/

2) Qantas service dropping-solutions anybody?
http://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/787543/

Wirraway

capt cynical
8th Apr 2002, 23:11
The fall in standards WILL in time be directly proportonal to the rise in directors fee's and executive bonuses !! :mad: :mad:

Taildragger67
14th Apr 2002, 15:04
Maybe the standards have fallen due to the bean-counters taking some of the F/As off. They do the best they can, with what they've got, but when the powers-that-be won't even put enough spare plastic cups in ports like AKL so that they have to load ones with Air NZ stamped on the bottom, that ain't the fault of the crew.

I first flew in a SQ 744 with the full seat-back IFE in 1995. Since then, I've flown EK, BA, CX, AC, VS - all with SB IFE. Hell, the only ones that I've flown that haven't are QF and IB (oh, and Air Zim)!!

Why would anyone going SYD-LHR in J-cls not go for a flat bed? I'd love to be patriotic, but 24hrs upright when I have the chance of a good kip? No way, Jose.

But that Canberra Times article in Dome's post was amazing - what rock was that clown under on Sep 11? For that journo to be wondering why there is only plastic cutlery airside shows that getting the message across is damn hard (Mind you, did get metal cutlery on a flight in the far-northern hemisphere just last week... )

So... yes standards have slipped. The only way to address this is to buy a few shares and get on your feet at the AGM, and ask the Board directly whether thay think that people will vote with their feet due to slipping standards & customer service. There is also a 'culture' thing - if a culture of excellence is replaced by a culture of dumbing-down, this will pervade every aspect of the organisation. I dread the day when I look out the window to see some Instant Airframe taped on the wing.