PDA

View Full Version : Android newby questions

rans6andrew
6th Jul 2012, 11:39
Just moved into the modern age, got an Android smart phone on Wednesday. A surprising number of it's loaded features require me to register with them and/or Google.

I just curious to know which of them will bill me for use.

I can see that the PlayStore might, if I install some of the apps but after that I am being a bit wary un-necessarily?

I have a YouTube app which wants me to register, will that try to bill me for anything?

I note that Spotify has a free download on PC but you have to subscribe to use it on a mobile....... Looks like a good use for a netbook with the phone as a wireless hotspot.

What else might need a subscription?

Rans6....

Ancient Observer
6th Jul 2012, 13:01
As a non-techie, with an Android, I have a simple rule. I keep a "don't really care about it" e-mail address - in this case, gmail, - and use that for all the places that want a registration. Then, I register with abandon. BUT I never give any of them any form of other id, and NEVER give out my credit/debit card details. The post code and address that I use is close to here, but not actually here.

Google registration, and use of a gmail, does make life easier with Android.

topsl
8th Jul 2012, 05:53
To run a Android phone you use a Google Account and then set up a form of payment. I have been using for two years with no problems.

rans6andrew
8th Jul 2012, 19:01
topsl, I have a Google account and lodged a payment method with it. What I asked is will everything that is going to charge me make it clear at the time. Since a number of things have already asked for my Google log in (eg YouTube app) I just wondered if any of them will take payment or subscription fees without my OK at the time.

I just want to understand what options cost me over and above my phone contract.

Rans6.....

Milo Minderbinder
8th Jul 2012, 19:06
Huh? why do you need to set up payment?

I've got an Android, tied to a long-running Google e-mail account. never had to pay anything
Obviously I pay fees for calls / data to the service provider, but thats it.
To be honest I've never yet found an app that was worth paying for anyway - theres plenty of free stuff about

jimtherev
8th Jul 2012, 22:06
Wot MM sed.
Seriously, I've had my Galaxy Tab for nearly a year now, & never found an app I wanted to pay for... nor have I lusted after any such.

crewmeal
9th Jul 2012, 05:32
Me too. I use a Galaxy Note and use 2 registered gmail accounts. When you want an app and you have to pay for it, it will tell you how much it is. Many apps are 'lite' so they're usually free.

The only app I won't use are banking ones. Barclay's have introduced a new app that allows you to pay for small items such as your share of a curry, as the ad goes!. But I don't want Bob Diamond to have anymore of my hard earnt cash thank you!

Paraffin Budgie
10th Jul 2012, 13:18
I have an Android tablet and a phone. It's actually quite restricting if you don't have a gmail account.

As a previous poster said, if you are going to be charged for anything, you are normally told in advance-except for the now fairly common practice of charging $1 to check if a credit card is valid before an online purchase. I object to that.

OFSO
10th Jul 2012, 15:06
Milo is quite right. Any number of good apps for free out there.

Mrs OFSO has just bought an android phone (like mine only better.....of course). I'm wondering whether to tie her phone to my giggle a/c or open a new one for her. I think the latter.

Mike6567
29th Sep 2012, 11:15
Maybe I should post a separate thread but this one is possibly appropriate.
For my new android (also moving into the modern age) I have a Galaxy Ace as suggested on pprune (and daughter has one to help explain how to switch off and on etc!)
I have a gmail account for use when away with just a few contacts. I also have several other email accounts run through Outlook 2007.
I have now set up the new phone with the gmail and am surprised to find my contacts in the phone are everyone I have ever contacted ever and must have been loaded from the Outlook Contacts.
I should have expected something like this but my gmail on line still only has the few contacts I use when away. I did not really want my pay-as-you go phone to contain so much information.
Any comments please?

KBPsen
29th Sep 2012, 11:43
Any comments please?
Isn't technology wonderful. Not that many years ago you would have had to transfer your contacts manually or via the SIM-card, now they can be transferred to multiple devices and on-line accounts automatically, literally at the touch of a button. If you want to restrict what information is synchronised or shared on each device that is easily done too.

mike-wsm
29th Sep 2012, 12:56
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the mostly free world of android!

Nobody is going to bill you for anything without first asking for credit card details or linking you to paypal. Registration gives them an email link so they can send password reminder etc.

Nearly everything on android is free, you can get lots of really good free apps, sometimes there is an alternative premium version for which you pay, this is clearly indicated when you visit the store, usually a dollar or two. Some apps accept voluntary donations, a dollar is about right, though I might donate up to ten bucks if it is a really useful app.

If anything doesn't behave just search for an app or a widget. For example using photobucket directly can be a pain but the app is a real dream. There are lots of utility apps like file managers, advert blockers, book readers, hotmail, photo viewers, and data counter. It's worth trying several to find which works best for you.

Enjoy!
Mike