PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Magazine Moaner

mutleyfour
2nd Apr 2002, 20:50
Saw copy of latest Soldier mag today and found an interesting read on the letters page Re:Retention bonus and army pilots.

Wasn't surprised about the moan with regard to the money, more gobsmacked at the fact that apparently the Army is and has been dishing out pilots licenses.

where the hell is mine?;) ;)

Found a link.

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/ll/letters.htm#green

Hopefully that will stop you having to prize the only copy from the Admin Staff.

cloudybeer
2nd Apr 2002, 21:12
mmm Pilots Licences, top shelf far left hand side. Sorry, one left but someone might need it!!!;) :D

Cirrus wisp
3rd Apr 2002, 17:39
The last time I checked the Army were not handing out licences. As for the dosh, I don't know too many pilots doing it for love...so it must be something to do with the readies. oddly I didn't find myself disagreeing with everything the poor woman had to say.

mutleyfour
4th Apr 2002, 15:03
:p :p

She's obviously unaware (and so must you be Cirrus) that: yes BA have been laying off, but the routes no longer used by BA etc have been picked up by the smaller firms.

Ryan Air are recruiting 150 pilots, easyjet are set to follow, etc etc.

As for housing etc...surely the armed forces are saving money by keeping what they have, rather than spending a fortune training more. Thus in turn freeing up money to be spent on better single soldier accommodation. As for housing...I have to add this is in the hands of the DHE! Not the Army. It washed its hands of that a few years ago!

So in the words of some old dear "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face"!

:D

Finally, Yes I am aware that the Army doesn't and hasn't dished out any licences! Now that wouldn't be right, after all, I doubt if misses so and so's husband has gained any qualifications from the army that may be of use in civilliaan street!

Cirrus wisp
4th Apr 2002, 16:00
This forum does not lend its self (generally) to complex technical
discussions on issues such as those raised in this particular post.
Therefore an overly simplistic observation by myself..maybe. MF I am very aware of the market at the moment and do for the record hold an ATPL, so I could go.....if I wanted to but I don't. I get a net increase of £500 a month at the moment. Does it keep me in? Get serious. Sit down and look at the whole package if it does not suit then go. If it does, stay. Excitement at airline recruitment figures has been going on for years and oddly, they have been recruiting for years. Anybody who has ever wanted a job as an airline pilot that I have known has got one eventually regardless of the intake of the airlines. The woman in question raised some observations from her side of the fence. I am not defending them but she is entitled in our democracy to her opinion, which will be read by a substantial amount of people. We need to ensure that with many more questions (probably) on the way we understand the arguments and can offer a coherent and factually correct response.

mutleyfour
4th Apr 2002, 16:14
Cirrus wisp or should it be SERIOUS WISP? :p :p

Oooh suits you sir...suits you!

:rolleyes:

Pub User
6th Apr 2002, 02:09
Cirrus

you're right, she is entitled to her opinion, but this particular part of her opinion is uninfomed, unthinking, jealous and petulant crap.