PDA

View Full Version : Cargo pilot?

Nekro
6th Jul 2012, 00:46
My question is: Can a newly fresh from flight school student with around 200 hours get a job in a cargo airline/company? I want to know about Cargo since commercial airlines are flooded with wanna be's, why don't people consider cargo?

I don't know much about airlines but say I go to Emirates and say I want to be a Cargo pilot and I have low hours as I have just got out of flight school. is the selection process like the 'normal way'? or is Cargo totally different? would I need more hours to be a cargo pilot? I also believe the pay is lower and stuff, am I correct?
But the main thing is, say I can't find a job as a commercial pilot, can I go to cargo? instead of being jobless at home waiting for a call?

And airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar airways have cargo sections? special planes for it? I don't think I've seen 'cargo pilot application' on any of these websites so idk I'm just curious about this, I don't know how to explain it haha .. but hopefully you get the point.. somehow...

Oh and the License is the same right? ''fATPL'' /JAA?

BerksFlyer
6th Jul 2012, 02:38
What makes you think people don't consider cargo?

Reading your comments you appear to be grossly uninformed. Please, for the sake of yourself, do some research. The resources are not hard to find - there's even a cargo forum on this site.

r1flyguy35
6th Jul 2012, 07:04
Did you not realize a cargo license is unique you have to do another course for that!!!! That'll be 60,000$ please :}

No RYR for me
6th Jul 2012, 08:53
I want to know about Cargo since commercial airlines are flooded with wanna be's, why don't people consider cargo? Err a cargo airline is a commercial airline....

special planes for it? Yes 737/747/757/767/A300/A310 etc

PURPLE PITOT
6th Jul 2012, 09:04
Hey no RYR, what happened to shonky old turboprops dodging weather in the dead of night?

Some of the stuff these newbies are comeing out with these days is just shocking considering they have just hocked their parents to the tune of £100k!:ugh:

RTN11
6th Jul 2012, 09:13
Some airlines operate both passenger and cargo transport on the same aircraft can you imagine! That must be super special! :}

LVL_CHG
6th Jul 2012, 09:34
Example being Jet2 who convert two of their 737 on an evening to cargo aircraft and then back to passenger for the morning.

Why do you think people wouldn't consider cargo? Not glamorous enough for some?

RTN11
6th Jul 2012, 09:42
It seems because he is only just considering cargo, he assumes noone else has before him.

He's obviously never been to a large airport and seen the many DHL & FedEx jets that are typically lined up :ugh:

No RYR for me
6th Jul 2012, 09:56
Some airlines operate both passenger and cargo transport on the same aircraft can you imagine! That must be super special!

KLM 747 combi's made them a lot of money over the years :8

No RYR for me
6th Jul 2012, 09:58
Hey no RYR, what happened to shonky old turboprops dodging weather in the dead of night?Agree real flying! But still commercial ops.... :ok:

bluecode
6th Jul 2012, 10:38
If anything Cargo operators are harder to get into than passenger airlines. Some have very attractive T&Cs. The standards are the same.

There is no easy to get pilot job, there never was.

Halfwayback
6th Jul 2012, 11:09
Nekro

Welcome to the Wannabee forum!

Could I ask you to read the stickies at the head of this page? We have an excellent search function and if you use it to assist in your research then you will find that such questions have been asked and answered many times before - we even have a Freight forum!

I'm closing this thread

HWB