PDA

View Full Version : Hair of the dog.?

BRL
2nd Apr 2002, 18:38
I wonder if any of you know where the saying Hair of the dog comes from. Had a hangover recently and mate says have a Hair of the dog.
Just wondering what its all about really.?:confused:

AerBabe
2nd Apr 2002, 19:11
Vague memory it has something to do with antigens ... in a vaccine kind of a way.
An allergy to the dog can be prevented by exposure to a hair.

Or something like that.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

tony draper
2nd Apr 2002, 20:13
I think the full saying is "Hair of the dog that bit you"
self explanitory. ;)

AerBabe
2nd Apr 2002, 20:44
Right! So you're going for more of a get-your-own-back-by-scalping-the-bugga theory? :D

TowerDog
2nd Apr 2002, 21:13
"Hair of the Dog"??

Well, I don't have much left. At least not on top.

But as all women know, the cause of hair loss on men is actually an over-production of male hormones. (That is why women and children don't lose their hair)

Therefore, bald men are more, uh "active" shall we say.;)

Caslance
2nd Apr 2002, 21:32
Right, then. Let's delve into Caslance's "Bigge Book of Ye Olde Folke Twaddle" and see what it says there.:)

Ah......it seems that a hair from a rabid dog was once thought to be a cure for rabies. "Hair of the Dog", you see.

All I want to know now is this: who were these nutters who went round pulling hairs off rabid dogs??:confused:

Brenoch
4th Apr 2002, 16:55
And what exactly has rabies got to do with a hangover??

HugMonster
4th Apr 2002, 17:08
Rabies = Hydrophobia = "Fear of water" = Drink more alcohol

Nuff said? :D

Brenoch
4th Apr 2002, 19:00
IŽll subscribe to that point of view..
Cheers.. :D

Caslance
4th Apr 2002, 20:43
"And what exactly has rabies got to do with a hangover??"

Listen, pal, if you'd had my head on Friday morning, you wouldn't be asking that question!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

bravo.lima
5th Apr 2002, 15:29
Medievil medicine reckoned that the only thing that would cure an ailment was something related to the cause of the disease - dog hair cures rabies, alcohool cures a hangover