PDA

View Full Version : When to start training

Gulfstream757
4th Jul 2012, 10:55
Hello,we have all heard of people at 40 wanting to start training and are worried that they are too old,well I'm at the other end.I'm not sure when to start,during school flying on the weekend or should I wait till after school during college at the moment I plan to start at 16 have a ppl at 17,build up hours for a cpl(and get a night rating along the way) and a MEIR then an ATPL what do you think of this plan I'm open to all opinions.

PURPLE PITOT
4th Jul 2012, 11:09
Great plan. Good luck with it.

Some advice, make sure you can pass the medical BEFORE spending any money, don't get into debt, have a plan B (college/university etc).

Gulfstream757
4th Jul 2012, 11:12
Thanks!I plan to do a science degree in college and if becoming a pilot doesn't work out then do a hdip in education to have that to fall back on

RTN11
4th Jul 2012, 11:21
I did my PPL during sixth form, and I wouldn't recommend it. If I could go back it's one of the few things I would change. Ultimately neither got my full attention, so both suffered (although my A-level results suffered the most).

Ultimately it didn't matter since I now have an airline job, and A-levels seem pretty unimportant now, but I did have a job before I started my CPL training where A-levels were definitely a deciding factor. So I guess my advice is don't spread yourself too thin, there's plenty of time after school to sort out a PPL.

Gulfstream757
4th Jul 2012, 11:31
Good advice,thank you,if I start at 16 I'll be doing my ppl training during transition year,when I won't have any exams at all and a lot of free time,I would hope to get a ppl at 17 during 5th year,the year before the leaving cert(the equivilant to A-levels) so I won't be doing any training during my exam year.