PDA

View Full Version : Postings off the screen

canuck slf
2nd Apr 2002, 18:06
Since the change in PPrune forums software all the postings stretch off the screen. I am using Netscape Communicator and am unable to find how to wrap the text.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards

stagger
2nd Apr 2002, 19:03
I don't know the details but I think the situation is that Internet Explorer and other browsers wrap the text by default while Netscape requires some explicit tag telling it to wrap - and these tags aren't being included by the bulletin board software.

Not sure if it will get fixed.

bblank
3rd Apr 2002, 23:56
The W3C HTML standard allows browsers to wrap text to fit a window. Both MSIE and Netscape wrap by default. To avoid wrapping, a web author can add a "nowrap" tag to an element. This tag is in the standard - it is neither a Netscape nor a Microsoft extension.

There are a great many unspecified areas of HTML. When the W3C standard does not dictate how a particular type of code is to be handled then a browser may handle that markup language as its developers see fit. For example, suppose that a table entry is tagged with both "nowrap" and a specified "width". What happens if the specified width is less than the unwrapped text that appears in that table entry? The web author is telling the browser to perform incompatible tasks. Should the browser respect the width specification or should it respect the nowrap directive? It seems to me that the standard does not answer this question. If so, then the browser developer is free to make the determination.

That seems to me to be what is going on with the new PPRUNE HTML markup. Some table entries have both widths and nowraps. It appears that MSIE is letting the width specification take precedence over the nowrap and that Netscape is allowing the nowrap to take precedence over the width specification.

I don't really see why the "nowrap" tag has been included anyway.

stagger
4th Apr 2002, 12:01
canuck slf seems to be right - if you view the HTML source for any PPRuNe forum pages you'll see it's littered with <nowrap> tags.

canuck slf
8th Apr 2002, 21:50
Thanks for the responses.
Follow up query.
Is Pprune aware of the problem and if not who should be informed?
It certainly makes my forum reading very difficult.

Thanks again.

DeltaT
9th Apr 2002, 08:18
..this is silly, I feel like I'm using one of those old typewriters where the carriage has to go backwards and forwards to read all this!!

Tinstaafl
9th Apr 2002, 13:56
Clatter..clatter..clatter.....kerCHING!

------------------
Sound effects for Delta T :D :D :D

Land After
11th Apr 2002, 22:30
BTTT!

I've just endured an afternoon with a Nutscape only machine and have been driven up the wall! Only finding solace in this thread - my pain was compounded by a French kezboard, with a y where the z should be!!

Please spare a thought for the other 10% who don't want to tread the MS Road Ahead!!

(Any chance of a fix :) )