PDA

View Full Version : If can afford, is Ab-intio programme by OAA is a gd way to get into the industy?

kenlittlefat
3rd Jul 2012, 04:11
Like many others, I have tried both CX and KA CPP but failed, I am already 29 and just saved enough money to apply for the OAA Ab-intio programme to obtain a (frozen) ATPL,
if all things go accordingly, I could get my frozen ATPL in about 2yrs time, but it is a very big investment for me and I really want to know is a (f)ATPL really enough to get employment?

I know for direct entry you need a lot more flying hours, which you wont get enough after the course..what is the best way to get an airline job? Is the only way is to be a instructor to get more hrs first? or will any airlines consider taking in (f)ATPL people?

greatly appreciate for any constructive advises:)

ProPwannabe
3rd Jul 2012, 10:36
Im in the similar situation as you are, however Im looking at FTE because accommodation and 3 meals a day is included! and maybe better spanish weather!

I dont know how you managed to save that kind of money, but Im no where near :(

Kristoff
3rd Jul 2012, 12:58
Check out Baltic. Its quite a bit cheaper than OAA & FTE. FTE is over a million HKD, OAA is a little under that. Baltic is only around 55,000 Euros.

ProPwannabe
3rd Jul 2012, 13:38
Ab initio courses
OAA 89,250GBP with accommodation and meal option
FTE 89,000 with accommodation with 3 meals a day
BAA ??? cant find the pricing on the website! Waiting for a reply from enquiry! pFff

SloppyJoe
3rd Jul 2012, 13:47
Kenlittlefat,

If you are from HKG and do not hold any other passport I would say your only chance is probably CX and KA, if you get a fATPL in Europe where are you legal to work? Are 250hrs enough to get into any other HKG carrier? Can you work in China?

If you can't work in Europe how will you convert your license?

It is a huge risk and depending on your answers to the above may be a total waste of money.

Kristoff
3rd Jul 2012, 14:11
Use the online live-chat feature or email the Head of Product, Marius I think his name was. He gave me a figure of 50,000 for 0-fATPL /w MCC. Its 70,000E for A320 TR+Base+500(line) - thats P2F which imho should only be a last resort.

The more information you have, the better informed your decision would be.

@kenlittlefat, It seems to be quite a significant risk to take, Im sure you have considered the alternatives, All I would say is be sure in what you decide. It is a risk, which if turns out well, could be your big break. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chunks
3rd Jul 2012, 14:46
Try 43 Air School in South Africa for their integrated ATPL. It's a lot cheaper than Europe.

kenlittlefat
3rd Jul 2012, 15:13
Thanks for your advise, I do hold a British passport and is a British citizen as well as hk citizen, so I think it is possible for me to work in Europe.

But how about other airlines in Asia, any possibility? Especially they are expanding rapidly and those airlines don't usually hv their own cadet programme, do I hv a chance?

ProPwannabe
3rd Jul 2012, 22:16
how many time have you appplied to cx? it might be worth applying again..

kenlittlefat
3rd Jul 2012, 23:17
Once only, but the system doesn't allow me to apply agin somehow...anyone know why?

Gravox
4th Jul 2012, 01:31
How did you go at Cx and KA? Did you feel it went ok. Or did you bomb out big time. With 250 hours and a frozen ATPL you will have a better knowledge of aviation and understanding of the industry which would stand you on good ground when you reapply with KA OR CX. Have you thought about applying to the Government Air wing. Sure it's not jets but flying J41 turboprops around for a few years before reapplying to CX would be a great opportunity and give you some "real" skills.

Jetstar Asia do a cadet program which I found out about by looking on their website just now. Must have the right to work in Singapore, their is a link to the Singapore immigration page to see if you are able to.

Their is a lot of aviation in Asia, check out their websites on employment or careers and see what they state.

Sure it will be difficult to get a job with only 250hrs, but you won't get a job with zero hours. Yes it's a risk but if you REALLY want it you'd go for it. If you don't have the passion, the drive, and the dedication to get out their and try don't waste your time.

Good luck. Make an educated decision. The aviation industry is a tough nut to crack.

kenlittlefat
5th Jul 2012, 03:22
I was very young (9yrs ago)when I tried the CX CPP, and deservedly got kick out a big time (didn't pass the first round), but for KA (last year), I believe I didn't do too bad, at least I got in the second round after the first assessment..

but for both, I couldn't reapply through the system online, it said their decision is final.....so does that mean I won't ever have a chance again?

GrobRanger
27th Jul 2012, 21:40
:ooh: Apparently there was something wrong with your interview. I could reapply after a year when I was rejected in my first application. There are quite a few one I know which reapplied and made it in their 3rd/4th attempt. However, there are also some people were rejected in their first time and they were done.

Go and have a try if you have a British passport, but I doubt some airlines like BA would hire British Chinese which wasn't raised in the UK.

Good luck.

MidgetBoy
29th Jul 2012, 07:31
I know of many people who got kicked out and told they weren't allowed to apply again. I also know of people who've been interviewed upwards of 10 times.