PDA

View Full Version : What the heck am I getting myself into?

Nekro
2nd Jul 2012, 19:49
I want to be a commerical pilot. aviation is the only thing that interests me. I don't want to go to college because nothing like Medicine, Engineering etc interests me. I want to fly airplanes for a living.

My main problem is I don't have the money to fund my training. I'm taking a loan. I know when I come back I'll probably be jobless for quite a while. this is why I think I'll be in debt. and I certainly don't want that to happen, so is it worth the risk?
I know the aviation industry is having its crisis right now, but I cant seem to get my head to anywhere else. it's the only thing I wanna do. but I have this gut feeling that I'm going to be in debt and my life is going to be miserable when I finish my training.

But I have a question, was it like this when you first started your career? is there anyone like my current situation? or is it just me? are there jobless pilots on PPRUNE? is someone in debt and all that good stuff? thanks.

Andy_20
2nd Jul 2012, 19:52
You're 18, why ruin your life by getting a massive loan and struggle for the next 10 years. You have plenty of time to earn the money to do it.

I was in the same boat as you. I got a job and now i have got all my licences after 3.5 years and with hardly any debt!

Bearcat F8F
2nd Jul 2012, 20:23
100% agree with Andy.

And get some higher education at least and you will always have a back-up. I'm exactly the same as you in that I don't want to do anything other than fly but it's stupid to waste your life like that. Of course maybe you will make it without a hitch. But what happens if you get a medical condition that doesn't allow you to fly and you have a huge loan to pay off? Boy will life suck ass then...

Good luck with whatever you decide though :ok:

Halfwayback
2nd Jul 2012, 23:09
Please take some time to read some of the other threads in this forum where you will find most of your questions have already been asked - and answered - many times before. Use the Search function to help you.

Good luck

HWB