PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific....

steamchicken
2nd Apr 2002, 13:09
Cathay Pacific are restoring flights cut after 11th September, it is reported (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_558442.html?menu=news.latestheadlines.worldnews) .

cordy
10th Apr 2002, 19:46
Do you know if they will be taking on pilots (F/O)? Does a F/O have to have a JAA licence?

Maxfli
10th Apr 2002, 21:12
There is an IFALPA hiring ban on Cathay.

51 reasons.

411A
10th Apr 2002, 22:40
Yes indeed...and 51 reasons for those ALREADY there to accept an upgrade....walking all over those that were dismissed.
A very sorry tale for these guys....

G.Khan
10th Apr 2002, 23:20
Cordy - suggest you go and take a look at the Fragrant Harbour forum. It is by no means clear that the so called IFALPA ban is, in fact, in place, recent communications by other aspirants with IFALPA would tend to suggest that a recruitment ban at CX does not have their full support.

411A
10th Apr 2002, 23:58
....and then we have the sorry saga as to why there are not more local guys in the company...has been a Brit, OZ, NZ closed club for a VERY long time....outsiders (ie: others) need not apply. Now that the other shoe has dropped....the CX guys are grasping for any straw in the wind...tough beans for them...the past has caught up!:p :p :p

dallas dude
11th Apr 2002, 01:13
411a

This begs the question as to whether you would have gladly stepped aside, had some local from the sandbox been hired to replace you?

Cheers,

411A
11th Apr 2002, 01:31
Yes indeed Dallas Dude, left the sand box in 1990....next question?

KIFIS
11th Apr 2002, 04:07
dallas dude:

Get with it my friend, there is no sand in the FAR EAST which makes it such a great place to live and work. Pay a bit more attention to what 411a is trying to say to the simpletons and you might just be able to comprehend and understand that things are changing and that CHINA owns HONGKONG. ( mores the better ).

KIFIS

dallas dude
11th Apr 2002, 14:11
KIFIS

Thanks for the geography lesson, mate.

411a's mentioned plenty of times that he worked in the MIDDLE EAST, aka "the sandbox".

The question referred to HIS situation, not our far east colleagues. He answered THAT question.

Is that a chip on your shoulder or a scab on your back?

Cheers,

Plastique
12th Apr 2002, 05:16
I think that the 49ers are gone and well forgotten. I think hell will freeze over before CX will rehire any of them. I think based on their history they will have *fun* getting work elsewhere for that matter.

And I don't see anyone turning down commands which have been expedited by the departure of their former colleagues.

Harrassing 20 year old S/O's trying to get a start wherever they can doesn't make good CRM and I think the Senior Captains playing this game at CX are acting out of pure greed and unprofessionalism.

411A
12th Apr 2002, 05:38
Yep Plastique, that about sums it up alright...altho I think peanut brain got a job down in OZ awhile back...but ask yourself, if you were management elsewhere, would you hire ANY of these guys?:eek:

KIFIS
12th Apr 2002, 11:38
dallas dude;

I have no axe to grind, I`m out of it now and just look on as an interested bystander who has spent many many happy years in HONGKONG. I just cant understand why those that followed me want to mess up what is perhaps one of the best flying jobs in the world. Good routes, good night stops, good allowances, good aircraft, good maintenance, good promotion, good medical, good dental, good education allowance, good annual leave, good base swoping, good retirement benifits and above all GOOD salary. The later brings about privelge, servants , nice cars, yachts ,the best of wine etc etc and so the list goes on. To have all this all one has to do is fly the routes as expected, bring the aeroplane back to base , park it and go home.
Civilian pilots in CHINA get none of this and in my mind the gap is
too wide . I also find it very interesting to see that 411a is just about right in every thing he has had to say about all this where as the easily led seem to have got it all wrong. In any case I think the entire problem can be sumarised in a couple of words; greed and lack of common sense.

KIFIS

Buster Hyman
12th Apr 2002, 12:58
Don't forget the "Expat mentality" KIFIS....

Tool Time Two
12th Apr 2002, 14:55
I'll bet KIFIS was an A scaler, and didn't much care about the consequences for the B scalers, et al. Hmmm? :cool:

frankg
12th Apr 2002, 15:44
I think you're right tool time. I bet if he saw what is on offer now at CX he would have to call the maid to bring him a bucket to puke into. The only yacht a current CX pilot can afford are the ones that fit in the bathtub.

Dinosaur.

411A
12th Apr 2002, 23:23
Well frankie...look on the bright side, if you are on the bottom rung now...it can only..get better.
The gravy train...is derailed.

G.Khan
13th Apr 2002, 00:11
KIFIS used to fly the 880 so you can work it out from there. He also went "behind the bamboo curtain" years ago and mainland China can, in his eyes, do no wrong. Take it all with a pinch of salt if I were you CX guys and gals.;)

Kubota
13th Apr 2002, 00:23
411A, I have found just the link for you.

Click here (http://www.upstartx.com/abuse/abuse.cfm)

PS Love your work. You are my hero.

411A
13th Apr 2002, 01:15
Hey there Kubota....I see you have had your tractor down on the farm...again.
Practice in the mirror those steely-eyed stares for the next management meeting, ya hear...
Anything from the ILO yet?

KIFIS
13th Apr 2002, 04:03
G.Khan ;

Because you did such a good job on my CV I will reward you with a couple of APPROPRIATE ancient CHINESE proverbs. Try your very best to remember them. ( I doubt if your friend KUBOTA will understand so perhaps you might care to offer him a simple explanation ).

( 1 ) A dog barks on seeing something and a hundred dogs bark
at the sound.

( 2 ) You can not talk of the ocean to a well frog.

Regards;

KIFIS.

fire wall
13th Apr 2002, 07:57
frankg, absolute garbage. The housing allowance for 2ND officer goes close to the monthly repayments for a $ HKG 1.5 mill boat and the allowance when upgraded to FO exceeds such.....or perhaps you would like the benefits dept to stock it with gin for you as well.
You and people like you are the reason this place is going down hill....stick to the facts that way you never need to back peddle through the dung you have previously laid.

Daxon
13th Apr 2002, 08:05
KIFIS

You told us on another thread that you used to fly the Convair and what a nice aeroplane it was.

Could you please let us know when you retired from CPA, as I think it might have been longer ago than you really care to remember. What you have said about your time was undoubtedly true but believe it or not, things have changed!

If you left prior to about 1993 then you really have no clue as to what has happened and what is going on (in my humble opinion).

Thank you.

frankg
13th Apr 2002, 10:30
fire wall, So what you're saying is, if you want a yacht you have to live on it. I think the point KIFIS was making was that the yacht was part of a collection of toys that came with this astronomical salary he thinks you get at CX. Sure go live on boat in DB, maybe that's your life not mine.

I see my hero is back, I hope I can be like him some day, don't you Kubota?

KIFIS
13th Apr 2002, 10:52
Daxon;

Yes my friend you are right, it is longer ago than i care to remember but the quality of the memories acquired over 20 years has not changed since 1984. After an admision like that I suspect the thing that surprises you most is that I can actualy talk to you on the internet . Appreciate the polite prose .

Regards

KIFIS

Kubota
13th Apr 2002, 14:43
Hey Frankg, I too live for the day I can be like the all-conquering hero 411A.

So astute
So insightful
So wise
The milk of human kindness coursing through his veins...

What would the world be without him?

411A here's a link to a TRISTAR (http://www.upstartx.com/abuse/abuse.cfm) site...thought you may want a look-see.

KIFIS
14th Apr 2002, 05:07
G.Khan; dallas dude; Tool Time Two; frankg; Kubota and others,

After I finish typing this I am off to " Aircrew Notices ( Misc ) " as I have some unfinished business over there to settle with that EP-3 Spyplane. You gentlemen of bourgeois aspirations that are listed above are most welcome to come along with me .

KIFIS

HotDog
14th Apr 2002, 09:00
Hey KIFIS, does this bring back fond memories? VR-HGB.

URL (link) to this photo: http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=027487

KIFIS
14th Apr 2002, 10:09
HotDog ;

It surely does. Were you with me when we snagged a kite in one of these low over Kowloon city. Those mischievous young boys and girls who flew their kites off the top off the buildings in the hope of catching an airliner must be still talking about it. Any more photos. ?

KIFIS

Kubota
14th Apr 2002, 11:50
KIFIS, I recently had the pleasure of flying with Capt. Morrison's lad as my F/O. Did you know his dad? Any information about him would be appreciated.

fire wall
14th Apr 2002, 12:36
sorry frankg,I admit I was a bit harsh. Most guys I know have a 2nd mortgage on their house, have either sent the wife off to work or paid them out years ago so as to be able to get their blast of salt air and sea spray in the hair on the weekend whilst toiling over over work commitments,repayments etc........
I am sick of flying with children who expect everything on a plate. Please tell me you are not one of them.

frankg
14th Apr 2002, 13:22
No worries fire wall. I was on the B Scale in HK and it took a while but when I realised that the expat lifestyle, clubs, boats/yachts, golf etc wasn't affordable for a family I quickly felt cheated. Many of our A Scale colleagues could enjoy all of that but it was quickly changing for them as well. Most of the B Scale sailing/boating enthusiasts I know in HK either share a boat, crew on someone elses or don't bother at all, too expensive. And none of the guys I know with families could afford any of the perks one normally associates with an expat life.

If you want to go live in a foreign country to 'just get by' or 'make ends meet' then go to CX. If you want a career and a life, stay at home. The times that KIFIS speaks of are long gone, and will probably never return regardless of how this current dispute turns out.