PDA

View Full Version : Landing the Cessna P206A

NzCaptainAndrew
2nd Jul 2012, 10:28
I fly a 1965 Cessna P206..

I fly sorties and when I come for landing at our aerodrome the runway is a decent length so I usually use flap-less landings to save time and I land fine, 75knots final and 70knots short final with the power down (but I leave a little bit on) @1150kg.

I've been practicing my short fields recently and I am finding it difficult to make a nice landing.

I use flap 40 with 60knots approach, and power down. I've tried different settings with power but the f@&king plane always seems to float or land and bounce a little bit. There was actually a time I made a really good flap less landing and the landing distance was shorter than most of my short fields.

Its always bumpy and gusty down at lower levels at our aerodrome and there is always a crosswind component, but thats not a problem as I am used to flying in these conditions.

I've asked a lot of experienced 206 pilots and they all seem to say that even some of the most seasoned bounce or float a little bit as the aircraft tends to.

my question is: How do I really NAIL my shortfields? Is it a balance of finding that perfect timing between power off and flaring or something else? :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

haughtney1
2nd Jul 2012, 10:41
Hey Andrew,

I'm sure there are a lot of far more experienced 206 drivers than me about, I've only got about 400hrs in the thing, but all of that bar the rating was on meat bombing so I reckon I've landed it at least 1000 times:}
Empty Id cross the fence at 55kts, keep about 12' on and keep pulling...I usually ran out of elevator as it stalled from about a foot or so, but the power stayed on and helped with the CHT.
I could pick my spot from turning base...and get within a knats whisker each time.
I only landed loaded up once or twice, and 60-65kts worked fine.

goldeneaglepilot
2nd Jul 2012, 10:58
Good advice - same experience for me (meat bombs many years ago). With the power off it floats even with full flap, set it up on the drag curve as suggested and its on the spot everytime.

NzCaptainAndrew
2nd Jul 2012, 11:35
Thanks a lot guys... will try 55kt with 12" next time.;);)

Wish me luck! Happy Landings!!

hawker750
5th Jul 2012, 10:51
Moons ago owned a couple of these and with para jumping (seats out, rear door off) check the C of G for landing. If you are not forward of the forward limit you will be very close. I seem to remember about 20 lbs straped right in the rear helped a lot. Also over aft trimmed a bit during short finals.

JW411
5th Jul 2012, 14:11
Many moons ago I used to fly an early model 206 (206-0275) for a parachute club. The early models had a short span tailplane and were a bit of a sod to land with a forward C of G and the door removed.

The best way round the problem was to land the thing with a bit of power on in the flare which didn't really make for a short landing.