PDA

View Full Version : ME rating with IR/CPL/SE/ME

michaelmas
1st Jul 2012, 15:42
That a lot of acronyms. Oh well.

I'm trying to understand the terminology, specifically when it comes to UK flight schools.

If I take IR and CPL on SE and ME, then I can get paid to fly VFR and IFR on SE and ME, if I understand correctly.

Then where does this ME rating come from? Do I need it, and if so, why?

For instance, look at[/URL] option 5 on [URL]http://www.pat.uk.com/selecting.html (http://www.airwaysflighttraining.co.uk/pricelist.html)

For whom is this ME rating required?

The500man
2nd Jul 2012, 17:06
It's down to what you want to do. They are basically giving you the option to make your CPL cheaper by doing some or all SEP hours. It will cost more to do it all on a MEP as is shown in the table. There is no requirement to do a ME CPL as you can add ME as a rating later. This is not the case with the IR.

Matt7504
2nd Jul 2012, 17:18
This strikes a thought in me actually, is there any benefit to do an ME CPL as opposed to doing an SE CPL if you intend to do an MEP and ME IR in the future? Or would it just be a waste of money?

The500man
3rd Jul 2012, 11:01
The benefit to the ME CPL is that you gain experience of a ME aircraft. If it is the same aircraft you do the IR on then it makes things a bit easier since you will already be fairly familiar with that aircraft and you will already hold the ME rating.

As you say Matt it does make the CPL more expensive so I think most opt not to do it.

Matt7504
3rd Jul 2012, 13:41
Ahh ok, thanks for explaining that :) Though that makes me curious if it would be cheaper in the long run to do an ME CPL? Therefore as you say, there is no need to do a ME Rating and of course the IR will be that little easier

XiRho
3rd Jul 2012, 22:15
It is useful to understand the differences between a rating and a licence.

The CPL is a licence.
SEP is a rating
MEP is a rating
IR is a rating

Once you have a base licence, it is valid for any aircraft type you hold a rating for. If you do a multi engine rating and (keeping it current) 5 year later do a CPL in a single engine aircraft, you will have CPL privileges on multi engine aircraft. (True for JAA, not sure how it works in other countries, I think it is different in FAA land).

As the IR is a rating, there is a difference between doing it on a SE or ME aircraft, as doing it in a SE will allow usage only in SE aircraft, whereas doing it in an ME aircraft will allow you to use it in both SE and ME aircraft.

when you see the "Multi Engine CPL" advertised like on PAT's website, what you will actually be training for is a CPL and a Multi engine rating.

Matt7504
3rd Jul 2012, 23:46
Ahh ok I understand now, thank for clearing that up completely :D So if a school says, lets do your CPL in an SE and then after get you your ME rating it would actually probably be more beneficial to do your CPL in an ME I guess