PDA

View Full Version : iPhone GPS App?

Dora6
1st Jul 2012, 14:49
Hi

Can anyone suggest a decent (relatively cheap) gps app that I can use during flying?

Id rather use my iPhone than buy a stand alone piece of equipment purpose built.

paco
1st Jul 2012, 15:08
I find airnav pro to be quite good

Phil

dan_vector
1st Jul 2012, 16:56
Air Nav Pro is ok and relatively inexpensive for UK VFR flying.

You could also try Runway HD which is Aware's new piece of software it's free to download and use vector mapping - works quite well.

However for the ultimate cockpit GPS companion you simply cannot beat the iPad/Skydemon combination. I know it's not available for iPhone but as non-dedicated devices go it can't be beaten.

19dingleroad
11th Jul 2012, 21:53
Air Nav Pro is great

Runaway Gun
17th Jul 2012, 21:23
What about for flying through Europe to the Orient?

Mungo Man
24th May 2013, 10:19
Are you able to use Air Nav Pro on the iPhone 5 with Airplane mode switched ON? Is there a workaround if not other than buying a bluetooth GPS receiver?

mixture
24th May 2013, 10:23
Are you able to use Air Nav Pro on the iPhone 5 with Airplane mode switched ON?

The whole point of Airplane mode is that all RF circuits, whether rx or tx are turned off ! :ugh:

I doubt you'll find any device with "airplane mode" that leaves some circuits on.

Kind of defies the point of such a function.

Capn Bloggs
25th May 2013, 15:50
I doubt you'll find any device with "airplane mode" that leaves some circuits on.

Every Android device can activate Wifi mode and Bluetooth while in Aeroplane mode. The mobile data circiuits remain Off.

I would be surprised if Apples were any different.

compressor stall
26th May 2013, 02:03
iPhone can run wifi in airplane mode. That's why virgin Oz have wifi onboard entertainment systems to be used with their app!