PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Navy!...Advice Please!!

nick21
2nd Apr 2002, 12:15
Hi,

In January this year I passed the AIB for pilot/observer and have just received the result of the final board. It turns out, that the RN in all of their wisdom have randomly offered me Air Traffic Control to start this May.

Having called the AIB to ask why and how this happend, I spoke to a very confused Lt Cdr. who couldn't work out why it had. My score at the actual board and my score for pilot were described as strong and I passed all medical aspects too. The reason I was not offered pilot was given as follows:

1. The intake of pilots has been reduced due to the training back-log.

2. My score for Observer was only average. Therefore if the great axe cometh and i am chopped from flying, I would be unsuitable to fall back into being a Looker.

I am confused. About as confused as the poor guy telling me this on the other end of the phone. The RN are short of pilots, yet, here's me crying out to join as one, with nothing stopping me except some Crazy Navy logic.

I have been told that I may have to wait for the September entry selection board or even the Jan 2003 board to get in as a pilot. Also that I can always fall back on ATC.

I have argued my case with the guy at the AIB and am waiting for a call from someone concerned with Aircrew selection next week.

What should I do?.... Fight for my cause or give in and look at a big round screen forever more!? any advice?! Or any clues as to whether my pleas will be listened to!?

flyboy007
2nd Apr 2002, 12:58
Bad luck, but keep trying. If you pester them enough then they will hopefully wake up and smell the coffee. If you can get hold of someone who has the authority to override the decision, then all the better, otherwise it may just bounce up and down the commmand chain. good luck

Arkroyal
2nd Apr 2002, 13:35
Stick to your guns. You were assessed for pilot entry and passed it. Even if you have to wait a while, accept no other job, even if you are told you can transfer later. (They speak with forked tongues).

If you do go on and get the chop, and I sincerely hope that you make it into the finest job on this earth, you can try ATC then.

Oggin Aviator
2nd Apr 2002, 15:42
Concur with Arkroyal. Turn ATC down (no offence to any ATCO's out there) and wait for them to offer you an aircrew (P) place later.

If all you want is aircrew, why accept ATC? You'll only walk around for the rest of your career with a chip on your shoulder.

Good Luck!

AllTrimDoubt
2nd Apr 2002, 19:13
OK - I understand your confusion and sympathise; the FAA does have a training backlog but we are NOT short of pilots...at least at your ab initio level. To be considered for pilot entry into FAA your scores need to be high(!). If yours were, and it is your goal, then hold out for Pilot. Politely decline other offers and stress your determination to succeed in this role.

(And don't quote me on this!):cool:

nick21
2nd Apr 2002, 20:52
OK, I was led to believe that the FAA were down on recruiting, maybe I'm just feeling a little down and looking for reasons! :)

Honestly though, I really want pilot and it just seems from my perspective that it is nothing more than a numbers game as to whether I get it or not, nothing to do with my abilities. Then again I am pretty strapped for a career and at the mo' so I don't want them to tell me to sod off all together!

Thanks for the advice, I hope that the powers that be find it in their hearts and take pity on me and undertake a swift U-turn and let me in! :cool:

BASUTO7
3rd Apr 2002, 11:59
As above. Stick to what you want to do, even if it means re-applying until you get it. The wise men at these selection centres seem to have a "quota" and stick to it religiously, and having seen good guys (even a UAS mate with a Green Endorsement) not get the pilot slot they deserve I can understand how you feel like a stat.

I appreciate that your interest is FAA but do consider the RAF and AAC, as all have good and bad points.

Good luck

Pontius
3rd Apr 2002, 17:32
Back when men were men and sheep were scared, I popped along to the AIB. At the interview I was asked if I would accept 'O' to which I replied in the -ve. A rather red-faced 'Looker' then proceeded to give me stick for a few minutes on the value of JAFOs. Naturally, I told him I appreciated the contribution that they have to make (much like helicopter pilots, to haul you out of the drink ;) ). Anyway, as the advice goes above, I stuck to my guns and politely told them that I wanted to be a pilot, had applied to be a pilot and was sitting on my side of the table because of the same reason.

Commander Talking Baggage, eventually smiled and it was as if I had passed a mini-test to see if I would stick to my pilot story. I was offered the best job and went on to enjoy a jolly spiffing FAA career.

It's been said before, but unless you really want to talk about flying, tell them you're not interested. Aim for the top and then if you get chopped go for the 'lower' jobs.

As for you 'talkers': this is a very tongue-in-cheek posting, so please don't take offence like the Crabs would, instantly. You're great for buying the beers and getting us down when the weather's nasty :)

Chocolates aweigh,

Pontius