PDA

View Full Version : Jet engines suck...

Kalium Chloride
2nd Apr 2002, 11:55
Call me sceptical but is this authentic footage?

Caution: It's from a carrier deck camera and apparently shows a chap getting sucked into an (Intruder?) intake...he survives, if a little bruised, but I'm wondering if this is real or doctored.

This sucks (http://www.knies.org/airlines/downloads/airplane-crash/jeteng3.zip )

PaperTiger
2nd Apr 2002, 18:03
Genuine. USS Theodore Roosevelt.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/usnavy/cvn/cvn71.html#acc

Grainger
2nd Apr 2002, 18:09
Ooooooowwwwwwchhh!!! :eek: :eek:

steamchicken
2nd Apr 2002, 22:31
Back in Frank Whittle's day, Power Jets Ltd. (his firm) informed all other UK aviation firms involved in the jet project that this was a danger - but a worker at De Havilland still got sucked in to what would become the Goblin engine.

In the opposite direction, Whittle had the "pleasure" of seeing Air Marshal Dowding look (despite warnings) at the exhaust of the very first jet engine on its testbed. The Marshal was thrown some distance and his brass hat much further! Perhaps that was how he came to support the project as he did.

HugMonster
2nd Apr 2002, 22:59
Sorry - but I just don't believe it.

I refuse to believe that someone could get sucked through the compressor (rather restricted spaces in there, not to mention a few very tight corners), through the flame canisters (just a little hot), past the turbines and out of the exhaust, let alone suffering only a few scratches.

I'd prefer to believe Jonah and the whale.

sprocket
2nd Apr 2002, 23:40
From what I understand of the incident, the guy did not go through the engine (although the story says he came out of the turbine, it also says he went into the turbine).
The writer was unfamiliar with jet engine terminologies.

I think some of his clothing went through ..... If one was going to dump on the job, that would have been the time to do it! :eek:

Desert Dingo
3rd Apr 2002, 01:51
No great mystery H.Monster. It has happened before and goes something like this:
Big foreign object gets sucked into intake.
Early engines have fixed guide vanes ahead of rotating compressor blades, so object stops there and does not get minced.
Object has now blocked intake airflow, so compressor stalls and produces less pressure than that in the combustion chamber. The intake airflow now reverses with a big bang and a flash and spits out foreign object.
Foreign object staggers away shaking head and wondering WTF happened.
Simple, see. :p

PaperTiger
3rd Apr 2002, 02:26
I've heard several 'versions', but all agree he did not transit the engine, so to speak. He was either stopped by the fan or before it. Some have his belt snagging something in the intake, others say his helmet came off and destroyed the fan before he got there and another one has it that he was stripped naked except for the helmet which (complete with head) dislodged the blades one by one. Doink, as John Madden would say. Actually doinkdoinkdoinkdoinkdoinkdoink....

Checkboard
3rd Apr 2002, 05:07
I saw the video a few years ago, and it is real.

The intruder has a curved intake, and the guy's helmet lodged in that before he got to the engine, saving his life. Big jet of flame out of the rear of the aircraft, pilot shuts down, people wandering around wondering waht happened, guy crawls backward out of the intake (and still nobody notices him!) Scarey and funny to watch.

scran
3rd Apr 2002, 06:37
Seem to remember a similar incident about a guy who got dragged down the intake of an A-7 Corsair.

He was nowhere near as lucky as this dude (got chopped into little pieces by the disintigrating fan blades as he went through them!!).:(

HugMonster
3rd Apr 2002, 08:17
I have seen several "films" of events like this. In all of them the man involved goes in the front of the engine and comes out the back, apparently unscathed.

This one, being shot at night, it certainly appeared to me that he came out of the back of the engine. If so, it is certainly fake. I shall take another look to see if it was actually the front...

Desert Dingo
3rd Apr 2002, 09:22
Dunno why I bothered trying to explain what happened. :confused:
Anyone know of a link to a description of compressor surge/stall??

exeng
3rd Apr 2002, 11:56
A similar event occured to to a ground engineer whilst working on a B.O.A.C. VC10 in the early 1970's.

An engine was being run on the de-tuners and this poor fellow was ingested. The engine promptly surged which coughed him out and immediately re-ingested him.

The engine was immediately shut down. The IGV's on the 'Conway' engine prevented fatal injury, but nevertheless the poor fellow was severely injured, losing an arm etc

Regards
Exeng

HugMonster
3rd Apr 2002, 12:39
DD, for your explanation the bloke would have to be spat out at the front of the engine. All claims that I have seen, and all films as well, show him being disgorged at the rear.

Unless you can explain how that is possible, I shall remain sceptical.

swashplate
3rd Apr 2002, 13:02
....I'm no expert, but I think this is the sequence:

[list=1]
The crewman wanders too close to the Engine intake and gets sucked in

The engine flames out spectacularly, and is no longer sucking air in at the front.

So the crewman now falls out of the intake, and falls to the deck.
[/list=1]

Thats how it looked to me anyway!!

OUCH!!! :D

gas path
3rd Apr 2002, 13:14
Exeng
The gentleman in question still works for B.A.

However the guy that jumped (Yes! JUMPED!!!) into the intake of a JT9d (as it taxied out for take-off in Port of Spain I believe) wasn't so lucky:eek: without the benefit of inlet guide vanes to stop him he became slightly er! shall we say 'dismembered.'

exeng
3rd Apr 2002, 13:32
Gas Path,

Didn't he end up working as a development engineer?

I believe the incident involving the large gentleman who decided to end his life in the fan of one of Pratt & Witneys finest happened in Barbados just after push back.

A messy ending. Still, on the positive side, the crew enjoyed an extra evening at the managers cocktail party.

Regards
Exeng

RW-1
3rd Apr 2002, 16:47
It is real, and on the carrier mentioned.

First off, realize it is an IR film, the real conditions on the deck were lights out, meaning you couldn't see past your arms.

He never did go through the engine, luckily he got caught on something (rivet perhaps) on the internal side of the intake.

The crew was doing power checks at power, and the hapless guy's crainal, and tool belt are what did come off and go thru the engine, causing the display in the rear.

At that time the crew aboard saw engine fluctuations [duh!] and throttled down. Minutes after that, as the troubleshooter was called, they realized they were a man short at the cat, and about that time the guy finally crawled out and fell to the deck.

This one was very popular at Naval Safety Center presentaions for several years, and still demonstrates the danger areas of jet intakes.

gas path
3rd Apr 2002, 19:49
Exeng

Yep! he's a Fleet tech. engr. in one of the T4 techs.

Nope, I've conviced myself it was POS...... (but I could be wrong).
I remember the engine had that horrible stench associated with death, like a bird strike but a 100 times worse, and that was after the engine had been hosed out and ferried home!
BTW the locals didn't want to touch it, all they wanted to do was dig a large hole under the engine drop it in and bury it.

Hey! we weren't supposed to go to the cocktail parties:D

exeng
3rd Apr 2002, 20:37
Gas Path,

I do believe you are correct about it being POS now I think back. All the free booze over the years has addled my brain!:D

Regards
Exeng

winglit
3rd Apr 2002, 21:02
Exeng, Where on earth was this person who got sucked into the VC10 engine standing when this happened? The intakes are about 12 feet from the ground?

I have done many a FCU tweak on the mighty Conway when at max chat. On a damp day, you might be able to draw up a tiny vortex from the ground, but certainly not a man!

It's amazing how these stories seem to take form, a bit like chinese whispers. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! It must be true, cos the man down the pub's, cousin's flatmate was there!

I heard a story about an engine fitter doing an inspection on a Nimrod compressor. The intake is quite long and you have to go in head first. Someone else decided to ground run that particular engine. When the inspection fitter heard the igniters cracking and the starter spool up, he made a hasty exit. Apparently, when he exited, he came out head first. That intake is probably only about two feet in diameter!

Who knows if it's true? Good story though!

lomapaseo
3rd Apr 2002, 22:59
> I remember the engine had that horrible stench associated with death, like a bird strike but a 100 times worse, and that was after the engine had been hosed out and ferried home! <

Never never!! hose out an engine after a bird strike or any other animal matter is ingested. The smell will only go away with drying in air. Typically lasts only about a day.

You're correct about the smell of death. same smell in the cabin , following fatal crashes.

exeng
4th Apr 2002, 00:37
WingLit,

I understand your doubting of this terrible accident. I didn't post the full details for risk of boring our readers. (and also because I don't know the complete details!)

But here we go as far as I know: The VC10 was on the de-tuners for an engine run with 'tweaking'. Staging was placed around the two engines, as normal, to allow the engineers access.

The unfortunate fellow was on the staging and somehow managed to wander too close to the intake of the running engine. Apparently the accident investigation found that the hood of the standard issue 'all weather' BOAC engineers anorak was lose and was drawn (along with the engineer) into the intake.:(

I've met the individual concerned many years ago and I can assure you that this terrible event did occur.

So you are correct. Our man wasn't 'dragged' off the ground. Conways were considered powerful in their day, but not that powerful. :)

Regards
Exeng

gas path
4th Apr 2002, 11:55
lomapaseo
I agree with you, but, this wasn't a bird strike, the gent in question was about 280 lbs!