PDA

View Full Version : Delay.."Lag" issues

NLZ
29th Jun 2012, 18:35
This is going to be hard to explain, because it's a game that's not exactly popular by NA's and a game incredibly dependent on low latency. With that said, latency isn't the issue here, it's some unknown type of "delay", as we call it. Basically, we'll all have our normal 20-40 pings all of the time, which is good. However, 90% of the time someone with 30 ping will feel like they're playing with 80+ ping, hence why we call it a delay. The game depends on fast reactions, it's a Java Hockey game. We've been in contact with the game founder. We've suggested he upgrade the servers bandwidth plan etc.

We described the issue to him as:

"Yes, it's very stable in terms of connectivity, however there's major flaws to it."
"We describe it as a "delay". We say delay instead of lag because our pings remain the same (at least most). For example, say someones ping is 35, Some days the 35 ping player will be able to play without a delay and the ping will feel just like it says (35 feels like 35, all is good). However, sometimes when it says 35 ping for such
a player, it actually feels like 80-100+, causing the game to be unplayable. "

We inquired/suggested:

"From what I understand, you're buying the server from *******, correct?
I can also assume you're on the******** 512 plan (512 MB, 20 GB / 200 GB transfer @ 19.95 monthly). What I'd ask from you is perhaps to try the ****** 768/1024 server."

This was his response to our message.

"We already have the 768 plan. For the current month we've used 26% of the transfer quota so we're already paying for mostly unused bandwidth. It seems unlikely that buying even more would help, but we can try it for a month at some point. If we can't measure the increased delay with diagnostic tools like ping or traceroute, fixing it is difficult as we just have to try things and guess."

So as you can see, we're at a loss here. Perhaps someone experienced here is familiar with situations like this and might direct us in the right direction as to what could be causing this? Anything the game admin could try? Any suggestion at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Jun 2012, 21:16
OK, I'm having major issues interpreting what you are saying into realspeak, but I think the gist is that the server holding the game is on a broadband connection which has max speeds of 760Mbits/second upstream 1024Mbits/second downstream.

To put it bluntly, you haven't a hope in hell of playing a multiuser game off a server with that kind of bandwidth (or lack of)
You can ping test as much as you like, but the fact is the bandwidth isn't there
Transfer quota is irrelevant. What matters is the transfer speed, and IF I've understood your post correctly, you've not got it