PDA

View Full Version : AEROFLOT to step into western markets?

Captain104
2nd Apr 2002, 10:22
Rumours spread that AEROFLOT is trying to step into western markets with western aircraft. Two B 737-400 painted blank white are on STBY in Ireland (no company name yet). Russians are supposed to look for a strong partner.
My first reaction was reading again this KAL thread some weeks ago in Pprune concerning safety aspects.
My count in following database for AEROFLOT was 102 total hull losses in the past 30 years:
http://www.crashdatabase.com/cgi-bin2/webdata_crashdatabase.cgi?cgifunction=Search&Airline=Aeroflot

Imagine AEROFLOT would join ONEWORLD and become a trusted
partner for BA pilots. Is there some one who could paint a more friendly picture for me?
Regards

gyrohead
2nd Apr 2002, 10:58
There is a possiblity that the white aircraft are being prepared for the alledged start-up of Skynet which is an Irish based feeder to the Aeroflot markets in Europe. Destinations are SNN/DUB/GVA/WAW, but who knows for sure? Its all been very quiet on the AOC front!:cool:

steamchicken
2nd Apr 2002, 11:28
...scary.

Tolsti
2nd Apr 2002, 11:33
Aeroflot was, prior to the disintegration of the USSR, the single airline in the whole of Russia.

Since the break up into the CIS almost all the regional aeroflot bases have been transformed into independent airlines, sometimes call babyflots, with variying names usually linking them to an airport or region i.e. Domodedovo Airlines. These are resposible for the majority of internal flights, charter operations etc.

High operating costs on old aircraft and falling revenues lead to skimping in other areas, the results of which are often tragic.

Aeroflot Russian International Airlines itself operates few internal flights (mainly long distance) and many International flights using an increasing number of western aircraft and modern Russian types.

So, to say that all Russian aircraft crashes are Aeroflot crashes is inaccurate to say the least. The shocking incident with the Airbus was indeed Aeroflot but if you compare the Aeroflot Russian International Airlines safety record I think you will find it holds up to many Western comparisons.

Captain104
2nd Apr 2002, 12:15
Tolsti,
please note, that the posted data refer only to AEROFLOT til 1994 and not to"all Russian aircraft crashes."

Gyrohead
thank you for Info on 2 boings, didn't know that. :)

Mad Mitch
2nd Apr 2002, 14:27
The two 737 400s are ex GB (OGBA & BUHL)and are awaiting delivery to Skynet in SNN, a couple of ex VEI people at the helm I believe. Expecting to start operations mid April.

Looking for 737 Captains I hear.

HotDog
3rd Apr 2002, 08:57
Aeroflot has engaged an international consultant of note to set up a high grade first class service product with Beluga caviar and Champagne etc. which will rival many western airlines. That coupled with an all western fleet of aircraft will present a meaningful competition.

pilot31
3rd Apr 2002, 10:38
Dear Tolsti,
You wrote "The shocking incident with the Airbus was indeed Aeroflot" and this is mistake also. It was RAL ( Rassial Air lines ).
Have a good day
;)

Captain104
3rd Apr 2002, 14:22
Hotdog
after checking your profile I understand very well why you are interested in Beluga caviar and champagne. Both make fast women faster and red wine more red.:D :D :D

I wonder if someone could contribute something to the safety aspect involved?! Or do I have to learn there is none?

Captain104
10th Apr 2002, 13:25
Last time to bring the topic up. No more comments?