PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live/Spyware?

dazdaz1
29th Jun 2012, 13:39
Hi all.

When logging into my Hotmail, I enter my email addy, then my password. Then another window shows (this does not happen all the time) with the Windows Live logo top left, then it says.........

"We need to add some security information for your account"
"If you ever forget your password, we need a way to reach you to get your account back. We will only use this information you add below to protect you"

Then asks for.........

Phone number.
Alternative email address.
Security question....
What is your mothers maiden name (with the option to change it)

"Save"

Without entering any of the above requests, I click 'save' then I'm brought to my hotmail inbox. Do you think I have a nasty on my machine? I have run Avast and Spybot which do not flag anything. I'm running W7

Thanks.

Daz

chksix
29th Jun 2012, 14:03
I think it's legit. Leaving them blank and saving could open your account to anyone.

txdmy1
29th Jun 2012, 15:05
tis indeed legit, similar on gmail as well, I use alternate e-mail addresses between my hotmail & gmail accounts, no other details

dazdaz1
29th Jun 2012, 15:24
Thank you both for your prompt replies. I'll fill in (next time) the required boxes 'Alternative email address' but I'm not too keen with the 'phone number' requirement entry, might just put some 'off the top of my head' number in. With any luck, this window will not show for future logins on hotmail.

Best wishes
Daz

Milo Minderbinder
29th Jun 2012, 20:24
dazdaz
do NOT put in a fake number
The reason they want the number is so that in the event of the account being hijacked, they can send you a text message with a reset / reclaim code

Load Toad
30th Jun 2012, 00:19
Legit & has worked perfectly well for me now on several occasions most recently a couple of days ago in BKK when logging on from a computer Hotmail didn't recognise as my regular log on.

dazdaz1
30th Jun 2012, 14:15
Hi all

Have had a play with this, 'Alternative email address' I entered one I use with freeserve/orange after clicking 'save' it came back "Invalid email address" What I can't understand I entered a valid alternative email address? I'll enter my home phone number next under the 'phone number' request. Fingers x:confused:

Milo.... "The reason they want the number is so that in the event of the account being hijacked, they can send you a text message with a reset / reclaim code" My land line number does not handle text. Having said that, I presume they would call my land line phone number, if that's what your saying.

Daz

Milo Minderbinder
30th Jun 2012, 23:53
Daz
NO
they want a mobile nimber