PDA

View Full Version : Airline/private Forums ----- Please Note!

spam in a can
31st Mar 2002, 23:54
Out of curiosity where have the airline forums gone to?

LJ.543
1st Apr 2002, 00:46
I was wondering the same thing. Tried to access 'my' airline forum earlier and was locked out. Houston, we have a problem.

Todd M
1st Apr 2002, 01:25
Me too. Anybody have a clue?

McD
1st Apr 2002, 01:48
There is an explanation here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=48675&pagenumber=1

Scroll down to Capt PPRuNe's posting -- In the last paragraph, he states why the private (i.e. airline) forums are not available at the moment.

BOAC
2nd Apr 2002, 07:40
Could ALL those trying to access Private forums please read THIS (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=48675&pagenumber=1) before emailing the forum moderators.

Particularly please read Cpt Prune's post at (4)

We're all learning!

Thanks for the link, 'McD'

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Apr 2002, 10:17
In the possible absence of CP, whose head may very well be in manuals, and after receiving a couple of calls from Private Forum Moderators I repeat what CP has said, several times, and what the "Airline Forum" thread lower down has said - together with links to HQ.

These forums are NOT high on the priority list at this moment - while there is so many essential tweaks and 'major road works ahead'.

There is only ONE pair of hands at work, and while they are working at super bionic power there is a limit. So please curb your impatience - it will be resolved as quickly as possible.

In the meantime. We would be grateful if you refrain from contacting moderators about the problem. We can't say more than has already been said. We are aware.

Thanks.

PPRuNe Pop
Administrator
[email protected]

niknak
2nd Apr 2002, 21:24
Prune Pop.... ifa dees wankas giva youa anya mora de hassle, you drop me a line........ I know people who know people who canna cause dem to tink of uthar things, you knowa wadda a mean?:D :D :D :D

BOAC
3rd Apr 2002, 06:41
Pop - I'm familiar with 'doors in manual' but the thought of Danny's head in manual............

upperecam
3rd Apr 2002, 10:51
I am surprised the airline forums are deemed not a priority. Seems like management pressure to lose them to me. Another shovelfull over the mushrooms perhaps?

BOAC
3rd Apr 2002, 16:00
Don't think you need to worry about pressure FROM management - right now the pressure is ON the chief pilot!

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Apr 2002, 17:00
uppercam

You obviously have closed your eyes to what has been going on.

No hidden agendas, no mushrooms just an enormous amount of work and time to get the new software up and running. And, by the way I also suggest you consider the cost of it all - this really is something for nothing so don't knock it.

Be patient it will get there - as soon as Danny is able to get the nitty gritty in place.

PPRuNe Pop
Administrator
[email protected]

sky9
6th Apr 2002, 14:15
Could I take this opportunity to thank Danny and the Gang for the hard work that they put into this forum. The new set-up is certainly faster.

I hope that someday you get your reward.

BluffOldSeaDog
6th Apr 2002, 19:36
From the DogHouse

To all users of the BA CitiExpress Private Forum & useful info for all Private Forum users.

Excerpt from e-mail received from Capt Pprune re access to private forum

- Moderators of private airline forums will have to wait for visitors unfortunately. I still havent figured out how to set the system up for them to be able to assigne the permissions for access to their forum At the moment one of the admins would have to set it up and there is no way that any of us relish the thought of individually assigning access to private forums to thousands of pilots, especially as we could not verify their eligibility.

It may come down to the moderators sending us a list of usernames that we will then assign to a private forum as ands when time permits but it will be a long and drawn out process. All private forum moderators are going to have to tell their users that they need to get back in touch with you and re-apply for access giving the necessary details of their username so we can set it up.

Previous members of the CitiExpress Forum please e-mail either myself or "Brymon" with your registration details for the forum ie Real Name, User Name & Staff Number/Base

Please note my new e-mail

BOSD

DX Wombat
6th Apr 2002, 21:59
PPRuNe Admin are being very polite to those moaning because they can't have their favourite toy to play with. Let's look it this another way. Capt. PPRuNe needs to study to attain / maintain a required level of knowledge, presumably to remain employed, PPRuNe needs cash to maintain it, the cash is supplied (as is the free IT expertise) by Capt PPRuNe. If Capt P does not have the necessary degree of knowledge he will not be able to earn the cash required to keep PPRuNers in the website to which they have become accustomed. So, NO STUDY TIME = NO PPRuNE Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Apollo 1
7th Apr 2002, 04:26
Wombat;

You got my vote on that!

Busta Rymmes
8th Apr 2002, 16:33
To Capt. Pprune...

Hats off and many, many thanks to 'YOU' and those of you responsible for starting this forum. I have really enjoyed what this pilot forum has to offer our group...information, insights, opinions, humor, general b.s. and all!

I can tell you it has been an incredible tool for the Pilots of Southwest Airlines. Thanks for helping to make open-communication, organization, unity possible for our pilot group.;)

Your efforts are certainly greatly appreciated!

Nuff Respect Mon!:D Good luck pon de type! Irie!!!

Busta

UnderpaidSWApilot
10th Apr 2002, 15:02
What Busta said!!!

:)

BOAC
10th Apr 2002, 17:43
BOAC has completed the challenging task of emailing all ACTIVE members of the forum. (Some more than once, I gather!!!:o )

If you have NOT received such an email in the last 2 days then you ARE NOT an active member and you will NOT have access to the forum when Pprune HQ manage to set-up the private forums.

Busta Rymmes
10th Apr 2002, 23:12
BOAC...

I've always liked that saying! Heard it also expressed as follows:

'YOUTH AND ZEAL IS NO MATCH FOR OLD AGE AND TREACHERY'!

The Honorable Sir Busta of Rymmes:D

Fight Dah Pow'ah!!!

BoeingBoy
11th Apr 2002, 18:37
As the above posts state, if you wish to re-enter the Air 2000 forum then please e-mail me with ;

Your desired username.
Your real name.
Your staff number.
Your base.

Those of you who have received a reply from me regarding your earlier requests may rest assured that you are ' in the system' and need take no further action.

I have yet to conduct verification of names vs staff numbers but hope to complete that task in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime thanks for your patience in awaiting the opening of our new crew room!

See you there!

[email protected]
[email protected]

;) :)

BluffOldSeaDog
13th Apr 2002, 15:17
Same thing goes for the BA CitiExpress Forum

BTB
15th Apr 2002, 19:32
Stop nicking my signature you lot!:eek:

BOAC
15th Apr 2002, 20:14
Apologies!
® respected!

MachBuffet
16th Apr 2002, 18:49
actually do miss the opportunity to discuss company buisiness, should we go elsewhere

E cam
16th Apr 2002, 22:31
Trouble is, this being run by a despot, you could find yourself banned just for suggesting it!javascript:smilie(':eek:')

EGGW
18th Apr 2002, 13:38
Any news that i missed about the return of the Airline Forums ???
Really missing the Spotty M forum, lots to discuss, but nowhere to put it http://www.smilies.nl/cry.gif

Any chance of any idea when they will be back up please ??

http://www.smilies.nl/party/drink.gif

whitehat
18th Apr 2002, 17:41
Likewise, if you wish to regain access to the Preussag Group (formerly Whitehatters) forum please email me:

Your PPRuNe UserName (nickname).
Your real name.
Your staff number.
Your base.

There is no longer a forum password system, I am glad to say!

[email protected]

scroggs
18th Apr 2002, 19:18
OK, guys, same applies to us. Send

Your PPRuNe UserName (nickname).
Your real name.
Your staff number.
Your base

to me at [email protected] for access when the forum eventually reappears!

Capt PPRuNe
20th Apr 2002, 21:42
Private Airline Forums are back! Unlike the old system where you only needed a password to access your private forum you now need to be specifically given access by your forum moderator.

Please do not email me or admin as we cannot give you permission. You must contact your forum moderator with any information they require to enable your access. Anyone emailing me or admin will not receive a response as we are snowed under with other work. Your forum moderators email contact is in the intro to the forum you are trying to access.

Because some people were giving out the forum password to friends who were not eligible for access to their private forum this new, more secure method has been employed. It is going to mean more work for your moderators as they have to actually modify your forum permissions and for large forums they may have over a thousand users to change.

As the website is going to be down from tomorrow morning and may not be back for up to 48 hours or more whilst we bring the new sever on line you will have to be patient. many thanks to everyone for their understanding and sorry for the delay in getting your forums back up.

Jetdriver
22nd Apr 2002, 15:14
I guess you know the form by now.

Could you e-mail me with:

1) Your Real name.

2) Your staff number

3) Base

4) (And unlike previously) your PPRune Username (properly cased).

Sorry for any inconvenience but hope to have this up and running again as quickly as possible.

Shahada
22nd Apr 2002, 16:28
The requirement to give your ID to someone who won't tell you who they are ( B.O.S.D. the BACE forum moderator for example) before being able to access, let alone post on, the Airline Private forums will IMHO be the death of them.

Some of the posts made from behind the veil of anon did prick the Management's ears to problems that they were unaware of - with resultant change or action. Shame that the morons who couldn't resist being deliberately confrontational and abusive have apparently spoiled it for the rest of us.

Ho Hum - off to the intercom site.

whitehat
22nd Apr 2002, 19:23
I have just authorised as many UserNames as I had IDs for - 72 in all. Further to my last on this thread, before emailing me for re-registration, could you first pop along to the Britannia-Hapag Lloyd forum (having first logged in to PPRuNe!). If you can get in AND see a topic list (a list of one at the moment!) then I already have your details and you need take no further action.

If you see no such list then email me as per my post above (page 2), if you wish to regain access.

Thanks.

1/2pv2s
22nd Apr 2002, 19:53
I for one will not be registering withmy airline forum. Why. Anything which needs to be said can no longer go under the veil of anonymity, thus potentially jepordising promotion prospects, etc.

And yes the management did respond at times.

Off to the company forum now to talk about crew food. Funny but not one word is mentioned on the companys orange forum regarding the derisory pay deal. Nor can it be discussed here now. RIP private forums.:(

BoeingBoy
22nd Apr 2002, 22:30
To all 'Jetset pruners',

The new forum is operational again. However I have yet to set up all the verified usernames, I hope to be able to do this over the next few days. As described above, once you can see the 'Welcome Back' topic, you've made it in. If not please be patient for a day or two as I have over 200plus names to register.

In the meantime may I once again ask you all to ensure that the username you have sent me is already registered with PPRuNe as a current name. A great many have sent a name that they 'wish' to use rather than one which is operational making the moderators job even harder. :rolleyes:

To those of you that are in two minds about using the new format/registration process may I assure you that in recent conversations with senior management, the company view of PPRuNe is to now view it as a valuable means of two way communication, to that end please rest assured that there is no 'stigma' or 'prejudice' applied to those using the private forum. So if in the past you have 'pruned' but not 'inhaled' then you have no fear of joining those who will see the forum take on a new lease of life.

Update:28/04/02.

To confirm the mail sent to you all on the company's internal system, if you cant see the Air 2000 forum....get a username...up there on the right of the forum home page! (Register)........log on!...... all the way down there on the right of the forum home page! (are you cookied?)

Then if you can see the Air 2000 forum and it tells you there are no posts on it, then it's time to mail me to enable you...............There!, simple really!

Best Wishes,

[email protected]

;)

BluffOldSeaDog
23rd Apr 2002, 14:19
Same thing goes for BACE users. Every user who e-mailed me with details now has access to the site (and a personalised e-mail welcoming then :p ) . The 25 users I have heard from can only be the tip of the iceberg

BOSD

fred finger
24th Apr 2002, 01:24
Send name, number, base & PPRuNe name to moderator for entry to forum ....

In what world is that confidential ?

Jetdriver
24th Apr 2002, 09:41
In the world where "you are entrusting somebody else with private information".

In this case it is to access a restricted forum. You are only providing the information to the forum moderator. You can opt not to apply if you wish.

Capt PPRuNe
24th Apr 2002, 10:35
This new software only allows access to a private forum by assigning access priveledges to individuals. There is no other way. If you do not want to reveal your PPRuNe ID to your moderator then that is your choice but you will not be able to access a private forum without that access priveledge.

Unfortunately I cannot satisfy everyone as some people would rather have just a general password for access without having to reveal their ID to their moderator but this allows abuse because many people just give out the password to their friends and it propagates until there are so many people who not eligible for access to their company forum that those for whom it was intended in the first place don't bother to use it. On the other hand, with this new system you have to trust your moderator with your PPRuNe ID as they have to verify that you are eligible for access and then have to change your access priveledges which means that there is someone who knows your identity. Shouldn't be a problem if you do not intend to break the rules but if you do not trust your moderator then you will have to do without your company forum.

Time will tell if this will work but as there is no other way of providing access to the private airline forums there is no other choice. Some moderators allow access to anyone who is employed by their company and others only allow pilots. That is their perogative. Many of the companies acknowledge the forums and actually encourage their use as it gives them (management) an opportunity to read what their workforce are saying about them and even if the discussion is on the wrong track they then know that they have to deal with some issues they maybe had not considered previously.

I have always explained it to management that they should treat the content posted anonymously as though they had a bug in the crew room. They may not know who is saying what but they know what is being said. Even if the rumours that tend to circulate are false they will know that they have to either substantiate or quash those rumours. It is all about information, whether true or false, you have to deal with it.

So, please make your choice as to whether you want a private company forum. Many of them have operated quaite successfully for a long time with their moderators requiring PPRuNe ID in order to provide access with no problems. Obviously a few companies do not like their staff having access to all this new technology and being abe to discuss amongst themselves, issues that concern their employers and that shows in the number of people who are fearful of voicing anything even from behind the cloak of anonymity (with the exception of their moderator). Private forum moderators are selected because of their enthusiasm for PPRuNe and their trustworthyness to keep any private information they hold about any of their memebers secure and we have a reputation here of looking after that integrity.

Raw Data
24th Apr 2002, 19:31
Hmmm, go away for a few days and look what happens!

Same goes for the BE forum- so could all BE folk email me at [email protected] with:

1) Your Real name.

2) Your staff number

3) Base

4) Your PPRune Username (properly cased).

As soon as I get your details, you'll be in (bearing in mind that I, like other moderators, have many other commitments and it could take a day or two).

whitehat
25th Apr 2002, 23:28
If I am the only moderator with this problem, I apologise to all the others for some of my own colleagues' shortcomings ;).

In order to see the list of Private Forums you must first login to PPruNe. The list will then miraculously appear!

There are currently around 90 Whitehatters (BAL-HLF-Preussag) members authorised, many of whom have not yet re-applied but whose IDs I was already familiar with.

If you click on the forum and can get in and view the threads, you're authorised - no further action necessary.

Hope this helps!

sluggums
26th Apr 2002, 12:06
I've logged on but I still can't get into my own airline forum?????????????? Why?

BOAC
26th Apr 2002, 13:16
sluggums - have you read ALL the above?

unwiseowl
27th Apr 2002, 11:12
What is to stop someone from using the details of another pilot from the same company?

whitehat
28th Apr 2002, 10:46
In theory, nothing, owl, other than cross checking details if they appear a bit contradictory. If you know someone's username and password you can access any secure site. Why on earth would anyone want to register or login as a colleague on something as innocuous as PPRuNe? Seems a decidedly odd idea to me!

Jmc Jim
28th Apr 2002, 12:02
Same applies above for those that want access to the JMC Forum. I've entered details of those usernames/users that i had already (which wasn't many).

If any other JMC staff wish to have access, please e-mail me at [email protected] with the relevant details.

Regards

JJ

BOAC
28th Apr 2002, 19:06
The BA forum is in full swing again. I have re-admitted 300 or so members over the last days.

IF you are not getting in, and think you should, please email me.

In other words - "anyone not here please speak up"

moleslayer
17th May 2002, 16:04
Anyone know what will happen to those forums that don't have their own moderators ?
I notice some haven't been visited since the software change.

Have they gone forever :confused:

Capt PPRuNe
18th May 2002, 10:46
Those forums that have not been used since the change to the new software will be removed. It is up to the moderators of those forums to contact us for details on how to run those forums. They have to verify each applicants eligibility for access and set their access individually.

If there are any pilots from those companies whose forums have not been used since the change to the new software who are interested in moderating their forum then please email Admin ([email protected]).

goeasy
21st May 2002, 22:19
The forum is available but not being used... just when we need away of spreading the gossip or discussing the merger(?)

if you havent registered, and want access, then please email [email protected]

Bluejet
22nd May 2002, 12:45
Same with the maersk air forum. You need access, then contact [email protected] with staff no and id and you can get access.

Finbarr
23rd May 2002, 14:32
Danny - we've all come a long way since the days of the BALPA forum on compuserve, but, I fear, this one is a 'shot in the foot'. It wasn't broke, so why did you have to fix it?